Sign in to follow this  
ordway

Mig-15Bis/Mig-17 cockpit near completion

Mig-15Bis/Mig-17 cockpit near completion. From multiple photos. If you look closely, you can see lightening holes on the instrument supporting frame on the left and right. Note the "steam engine" rivets on the panel and the two leather straps on the glare guard supports... What else would hold the Mig together?...or maybe they were for entertaining Soviet women after the flight?

img00030.jpg

Yes, the Korean pilot Mig-15 pilot, No Kum-Sok, stated that his Korean war Mig-15 Bis gunsight reticule had "six diamonds"* -copied after the American gunsight I think.

Now, let's get complicated. Two Russian Mig-15 (early?) gunsight photos with F-86s neatly plastered in the gunsight reticule shows the "ole round ring" reticule around the F-86s (copied from a British gunsight manufactured in Poland, I believe).

If I were really aggressive, I could put German writing on some of the instrument panel as No Kum-Sok reports that some of his Mig-15s had. He believed that it was from German stamping machines taken from Germany after World War II. Pretty close in lineage to the ole Ta-183, eh?

* Book "A Mig-15 to Freedom", No Kum-Sok .

Edited by ordway

LOL please note the artificial horizon with the blue BELOW.

I Have some Yak hours and it was surprising to see a similar artifical horizon,,"upsidedown"

Ihave been told it was typical of russian planes at a certain point in time

LOL please note the artificial horizon with the blue BELOW.

I Have some Yak hours and it was surprising to see a similar artifical horizon,,"upsidedown"

Ihave been told it was typical of russian planes at a certain point in time

Canadair, this is a rather interesting feature. All my color Mig-15 cockpit photos of nine different Mig-15s show this artifical horizon "upsidedown". So I think it was a standard feature for the Mig-15 and many Mig-17s.

exphoto_681.jpg

MiG_cockpit21.jpg

10506451.jpgNotice lightening holes.

It's interesting, that when you fly it, that you adjust almost instantly..both in the sim and in real life (from personal experience, too).

It is a good question as to why they did this...bad workmanship? Too much vodka at the planning meeting? Trying to make the Communist world appear rightside up when it was upside down? Making the Mig-15 pilots fly upside down when they should be flying right side up for evasion techniques? Making defections harder by making the Soviet pilot so confused that he heads back to base? So much pollution in Communist countries that its more accurate to show the sky as brown?

Edited by ordway

Maybe they just copied something silly... Like, you know, when a B-29 made emergency landing in our territory Soviet engineers were ordered to make a copy... If you look at a sample of the result (can't remember designation, but it was mass produced) which stands at Monino museum, you'll see that it has one or two holes drilled in the cover of the front landing gear leg. Not for design reasons, no. Just because the captured plane had them. :biggrin:

Canadair, this is a rather interesting feature. All my color Mig-15 cockpit photos of nine different Mig-15s show this artifical horizon "upsidedown". So I think it was a standard feature for the Mig-15 and many Mig-17s.

It's interesting, that when you fly it, that you adjust almost instantly..both in the sim and in real life (from personal experience, too).

It is a good question as to why they did this...bad workmanship? Too much vodka at the planning meeting? Trying to make the Communist world appear rightside up when it was upside down? Making the Mig-15 pilots fly upside down when they should be flying right side up for evasion techniques? Making defections harder by making the Soviet pilot so confused that he heads back to base? So much pollution in Communist countries that its more accurate to show the sky as brown?

All intersting explanations. I don't know about adapting yourself; Yak I was on was an acrobatic plane, so I barely looked inside. I don't know how would it be in IFR. Still it was surprising to see the blue below.

All intersting explanations. I don't know about adapting yourself; Yak I was on was an acrobatic plane, so I barely looked inside. I don't know how would it be in IFR. Still it was surprising to see the blue below.

Hmmm, I wonder if it will give any gamer trouble? I hope not. I flew the inverse artificial horizon in a Mig-17 at the old Jeffco airport in Colorado...did aerobatics in it but no IFR and I had an IFR rating at that time for background.

I too had my head usually out of the cockpit...to tell you the truth, I barely even noted the difference in the inverse AI....it might have been a lot more if I had been flying IFR however like you said.

I had been trained for advanced at Air Carrier Flight Academy for Continental Express and was pretty well trained in IFR I thought. Below is the Mig-17 I flew with the inverse horizon.

Mig-17 Cockpit flying upsidedown in a roll.

mymigs.jpg Ah, Ha. Now we know why the Soviets painted the sky brown. :biggrin:

Edited by ordway

maybe the horizon showed brown on top when the battery was off then switched around when the power was turned on. Since all the shots are on the ground with the engine off. Just a guess. but it seems more plausable than having an inverse horizon line.

maybe the horizon showed brown on top when the battery was off then switched around when the power was turned on. Since all the shots are on the ground with the engine off. Just a guess. but it seems more plausable than having an inverse horizon line.

These two are other people's photos.

MiG_cockpit41.jpg

mig17enlarge.jpg

Hmmm, The numbers are right-side up (degree bars)...plus they were inversed in flight when I flew it.

Edited by ordway

That's very good visual. :clapping: When is it due out? That plane-looking indicator down near the bottom left, is it for the gears up/down?

Where is the ejection lever? :biggrin:  By the way, are they all moving parts instrument?

Edited by Basher11

This sim has long needed a MiG-15 and MiG-17 cockpit.

Your effort is greatly appreciated by me.

Now, who is going to do the MiG-19?

never knew that...

i just love this kind of little details and quirks in different aircraft.

here's a short interesting discussion on that topic

That's very good visual. :clapping: When is it due out? That plane-looking indicator down near the bottom left, is it for the gears up/down?

Where is the ejection lever? :biggrin:  By the way, are they all moving parts instrument?

Most of it is where needed.

Edited by ordway

never knew that...

i just love this kind of little details and quirks in different aircraft.

here's a short interesting discussion on that topic

Where is the ejection lever? :biggrin: By the way, are they all moving parts instrument?

It's finished and I'm happy with with it! :clapping:

Mig-15Bis5ExplanBig-1.jpg

MIG-15BIS6-1.jpg

mig-15bis17final.jpg

Edited by ordway

Dude, that is just SOOO righteous!!! (very californian statement!)

Can't wait for this this puppy...a superb job!!

WRench

kevin stein

Dude, that is just SOOO righteous!!! (very californian statement!)

Can't wait for this this puppy...a superb job!!

WRench

kevin stein

Thanks all.

It is going to be a riot to hear people screaming that "you got the artificial horizon upside down" and "why don't the mirrors work" and "That ain't Russian...that's German language!"

The Mig-15Bis/Mig-17 cockpit will be uploaded as soon as I get all the documentation worked up.

Edited by ordway

As to the yutz's whineing/gripping/complaing/whinging/in general making unappriciative noises about the AH, you can do several things:

1) Tell them to google the Mig-15/17 series for cockpit picture or;

2) Tell them to build their own, or;

3) Quote Bender from "Futurama" -- B.M.S.M.A. :wink: This one's my preference!!! :haha:

Great job Richard!! Really, who cares what they think!?

Wrench

kevin stein

Where were you when SFP1 was originally released?

This is the most needed addon that was never provided, especially for online multiplayer gameplay.

Where were you when SFP1 was originally released?

This is the most needed addon that was never provided, especially for online multiplayer gameplay.

I've been slowly adding to this cockpit for over a year. It was time to get this bugger finished for everyone.

Well it still looks like an A-4 pit to me. So can you explain to me, is it an actual Mig pit or a mod?

Well it still looks like an A-4 pit to me. So can you explain to me, is it an actual Mig pit or a mod?

I never looked close enough to notice... but given the photos... clearly a modded pit made to resemble a MiG-15/17?

The repaint is welcome (better than seeing a standard A-4 pit for sure), but I was thinking of a genuine scratch built 3d model.

Using some of the modder tricks, the A-4 pit could even have some items removed/relocated to make the pit more like a MiG-15/17.

It is going to be a riot to hear people screaming that "you got the artificial horizon upside down"

Well you DO have the ADI wrong lol :tomato: , even though the colors are inverted it's still supposed to move towards the blue zone if you point your nose up, and viceversa... on the "bright" side I don't think there is a way to get it right without the moddifying the 3D model, so no sweat over that  :blush2:

Well you DO have the ADI wrong lol :tomato: , even though the colors are inverted it's still supposed to move towards the blue zone if you point your nose up, and viceversa... on the "bright" side I don't think there is a way to get it right without the moddifying the 3D model, so no sweat over that :blush2:

Actually there is a way :wink: :

[RotateADI]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=ADI housing

MovementType=ROTATION_Y

ValueUnit=DEG

Set[01].Position=180.0

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=180.0

Set[02].Value=1.0

[RotateADI_watermark]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR