Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Armour Dave's website and addons

Is Dave's website completely gone? or did it get relocated?

If it has been relocated, what is the website address?

If not, did all the addons get posted here so everyone can still get them?

Also, what about Pasko's SFP1 addon site? It seem like it has been down for awhile.

Edited by streakeagle

Streak-I was sub-hosting AmourDave's site. He had full control and looking at it through ftp, the files have been removed. I'm assuming he did this.

I assume he did it as well... but a link to nowhere is no good.

I may not check my links as frequently as I should, but I try to make sure all of my links go somewhere that actually has something you can download for the SFP1 series.

Armour Dave and I seldom agreed on anything...

But I respect his enthusiasm, talent, and work.

His addons and the website that hosted them were part of the foundation of the SFP1 modding community.

I know he was angered when TK unexpectedly released WoV.

But he shouldn't have given up on his Vietnam addons.

YAP proves there was plenty of room to enhance the sim, and Armour Dave would have provided the same or higher quality terrain/ground object detail for free.

Dave was a pillar of this community and his addons make sure he is not forgotten.

At this point, there are a lot of newbies from First Eagles, Wings Over Israel, and even Wings Over Europe to some extent.

I am sure they don't really know about the early days of SFP1 and who Armour Dave is...

The loss of his website almost guarantees this unless someone is looking for 2-seat F-105 or Japanese WWII aircraft, they won't come across his name (lord knows almost no one reads the readme files so they won't learn his name from readme file credits).

As newer models come out and replace his early ones, his name will eventually fade from even the readme credits.

This makes me sad to see such a great contributor to this community fade into obscurity.

Well I for one thought it was pretty amazing when he release the first weapons pack. Dave you did a superb job. Thanks.

Somehow, I managed to never put the Hunter F.6 up at c5. I'll correct that and add the Japanese planes as well, so we can perpetuate his legacy in as many places as possible.

I remember when the A-7B was intially released, and we got over 1000 downloads in the first several hours. It used up a month's worth of my Yahoo web hosting bandwidth in less than a day.

this brings back memories.The first 2 downloads I added to SFP1 were Monty's SPAD and AD's Su-17.I can't remember the order but to this day the Su-17 is one of my favorites.I still fly the Hunter alot too,excellent stuff that stilll looks good even all these years latter.Thanks AD.

Edited by whiteknight06604

Does this mean I don't have a chance of getting Daves permission to include his SU-17 model in an upload for a 'what if' attack jet I've been working on for months?

Basically, I modified the SU-17 into a carrier based attack jet for the Soviet Navy. I gave it increased lift qualities just like they did for the Flanker and MiG-29K, modernized the loadouts and targeting capabilities, and added a more effecient engine and more economical fuel burn, and tailhook functionality. I also made new skins from scratch.

I'm going to need ArmourDave's permissions though, as well as Gepard's (I started with many of his inis from the SU-22M4), and paladrian (I modified his cockpit)

Edited by drdoyo

Dave is still floating around on the net, just not active in this community any more.

I don't know if there is a way to contact him.

Perhaps one of the other modders still stays in touch?

He last posted at Third Wire forums in April 2008... so I am sure he can be contacted through their interface...

If you are lucky, you can email/pm him through Third Wire by listing the forum members and looking for Armour Dave.

Edited by streakeagle

Streak-I was sub-hosting AmourDave's site. He had full control and looking at it through ftp, the files have been removed. I'm assuming he did this.

No... I was in touch with him today. He told me he didn't remove anything on his site...

Edited by kreelin

If that is the case, maybe it was hacked?

For some reason, SFP1 modder sites have always attracted hackers.

I don't know if the hackers were motivated because they were fans of competing sims...

Or maybe they stumbled onto fun/easy targets?

Or maybe they were fans of SFP1 and had issues with the people they attacked?

Of course, as many longtime SFP1 website managers know, ISPs can dump your files on a whim due to incompetency, accidents, or whatever excuse they give. Maybe Dave's site needs to fall on the CombatAce.com realm...

The only thing I dislike about consolidating all resources into CombatAce is that if it ever gets dumped or hacked, everything may be lost.

I don't have all the details but it seems there is a "relationsip" between the owner of CA and the webhost that will prevent any problems like that. However, I'm keeping a local backup of everything on c5, just to be safe in the event of something unforseen. ;)

The Japanese Planes are here at CA, too.

His work still stands out amongst the best of the early devs.

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi gents,

First of all, thanks for the flattery! Nice to see that my work is not forgotten and I apologise for not responding sooner.

Second, I didn't delete anything! I have no idea what happened to the files. It really wasn't pleasant to log into the FTP and find EVERYTHING gone. We aren't just talking about SFP1 work either. I had a lot of real life work on there, amongst other things a very precious pdf version of my university dissertation.

I still have my fingers crossed that the files haven't been turned to 0's but it's highly likely that they have.

Cheers

Damn... if worst comes to worst, we could always pool your downloads (the ones we don't already have) here or something in the meantime Dave. That really sucks about your RL work, especially the dissertation!

If that is the case, maybe it was hacked?

For some reason, SFP1 modder sites have always attracted hackers.

I don't know if the hackers were motivated because they were fans of competing sims...

Or maybe they stumbled onto fun/easy targets?

Or maybe they were fans of SFP1 and had issues with the people they attacked?

Of course, as many longtime SFP1 website managers know, ISPs can dump your files on a whim due to incompetency, accidents, or whatever excuse they give. Maybe Dave's site needs to fall on the CombatAce.com realm...

The only thing I dislike about consolidating all resources into CombatAce is that if it ever gets dumped or hacked, everything may be lost.

I have always wondered that myself, our community has drawn an unprecedented amount of hackers who seem as if they are specifically targeting us.

Hi gents,

First of all, thanks for the flattery! Nice to see that my work is not forgotten and I apologise for not responding sooner.

Second, I didn't delete anything! I have no idea what happened to the files. It really wasn't pleasant to log into the FTP and find EVERYTHING gone. We aren't just talking about SFP1 work either. I had a lot of real life work on there, amongst other things a very precious pdf version of my university dissertation.

I still have my fingers crossed that the files haven't been turned to 0's but it's highly likely that they have.

Cheers

Hey Dave, that sucks, I hope you can get everything back in order.

Hi gents,

Cheers

No apology necessary.

Good to hear from you at all.

I hope your site can be restored.

If not, perhaps it can be recreated to a large extent under combatace partnership like the other websites already hosted here.

No apology necessary.

Good to hear from you at all.

I hope your site can be restored.

If not, perhaps it can be recreated to a large extent under combatace partnership like the other websites already hosted here.

Now that would be cool.Even though I have all the stuff saved I used to go to the site from time to time just to get that nasalgic feeling.

Um fellas almost everything AD did is already here at CA and has been here for some time.

His Japanese aircraft pack......

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...mp;showfile=744

Or his Thuds.....

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...amp;showcat=271

His Hunters

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5235

So everything he has done is here. What's the big deal? You all are killing me.

Streak

We are backed up a few times, so we will never lose a thing if a hacker attacks. We have back ups for back ups. Quit whining..... :lol:

But do we have backups for the back ups and backups. Because you never know when lazer cats could attack.

Oh God, those laser cats are scary.

It's either Chuck Norris or Mr. T, since the cats would be driven to submission by them.

But do we have backups for the back ups and backups. Because you never know when lazer cats could attack.

That is the problem, no has been able to make anything to counter a lazer cat attack. Shields and screens are useless.

AD, thought he had moved to Thailand...yep, that fine Su-17 is STILL one of my absolute favorites and his Khorat terrain is still without compare. Glad that he didnt go the way of Thompson.

Cheers!