Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

When did you start modding...

A thread on another message board started me thinking.

When did you start modding in flight sims? I don't mean using mods...I mean making mods. I don't mean changing your options, I mean changing the game.

For me, I used Microsoft's Flight Simulator 4.0 in pilot training and actually built the airfields I knew I would be flying to in order to practice instrument procedure pacing - FS4 had a F-20 that I 'detuned' to simulate the T-38 in terms of performance. And then, with an addon called Aircraft and Scenery Designer (A&SD) that allowed you to build your own aircraft...the bug really hit. Unfortunately (as of the moment, I'm still searching) I can't find my FS4 creations, but I've found some screenshots of my FS5 stuff made in Flight Shop (or FSFS as it was called):

b1azn5.jpg

b1bna3.jpg

t38ctpfv5.jpg

It's weird to think my modding career actually has been longer than my flying career...and for a few of you, longer than you have existed.

So, when's the first time you threw stuff out for flight sims. Nothing else allowed in this thread (I don't want to hear about FPS mods...everyone has done that).

FastCargo

I started in October 2002 with SFP1. My first skin was a VF-31 Phantom.

I started modding around that same time. Combat Flight sim 2 claimed all my spare time (just ask my ex!). Around 2006 I switched to SFP1 and never looked back

My very first "crappy" mod was a Foo Fighters skin for the Bill Alderson B 707-320B for FSFW95 back in 1997. It's sitting again in a floppy.....

Whenever Jane's ATF first came out....

Wrench

kevin stein

Around 2004/5 maybe? First mod was trying to make the Martin Baker scheme of their own Gloster Meteor. It turned out awful.

I'm late to that game, just started with the F-14 mod about the end of Dec 06.

January of 1999, or thereabouts, creating a 1955 WWIII scenario for MS CFS, with new sounds, weapons, etc.

A circa one year ago... Modders and skinners were bussy so I tried put together some existing Fokker Dr.1 skins in one... In windows paint program... :haha: My first modding work in my life :biggrin:

img00002-1.jpg

My last uploaded work looks much better...

Su7.jpg

Thanx for templates, Wrench :yes:

Edited by kukulino

Started with EAW(European Air War)in 99 or 2000. Once they had the codes sort of figured out,I started modding aircraft,loadouts,guns,etc. I downloaded a freeware Hex Editor and gave it a shot.

I never could get the hang of designing aircraft,but I painted a lot of skins in PSP. My brother (I introed him to flight sims)still flys EAW some of the time. He likes the start up to landing and shutdown and lots of bogies in flight. :ok:

I started late 2002....its all C5,Crab_02 & USAFMTL's fault, they got me into skinning, never done anything before that.

I used to be one of those blokes who'd equate modding with cheating. Back when Janes World War 2 Fighters was popular I really stood high on that soapbox. Then I ran across a site offering a couple CD's of mods for that sim. Taking a closer look at what they had to offer, found myself hardpressed to call anything there a cheat. So I got the CD's and started playing around with them. To my suprise, I learned mods weren't cheats afterall (at least they didn't have to be) but were totally new content that could change a game in a very positive way. That changed my thinking on mods. Mods are new content, cheats are cheats, two totally different things. So I started building airplanes to fly on Mars in X-Plane. I felt safe there because there wasn't anyone around on Mars to laugh at my projects. But I suppose if I had to pick a start time, it would have to be with Strike Fighters Project 1. Even though I still consider modding over my head and beyond my skills, and anyone calling me a modder is really stretching things. Being a part of this project has been a very exciting and fullfilling experience for me. I have you guys to thank for it. :salute:

Guest 531_Ghost

I've done a skin for VMFA-531 circa 79-80 West Pac Cruise. USS ORAL SEX I'd guess that was about 4 years ago. Holy crap! Where'd time go?! :biggrin:

I've done a skin for VMFA-531 circa 79-80 West Pac Cruise. USS ORAL SEX I'd guess that was about 4 years ago. Holy crap! Where'd time go?! :biggrin:

Its OK to pace yourself. Wouldn't want to burn out or anything... :biggrin:

Guest Stiglr

Actually.... now that I really think about it... the first skin I ever developed was either a Vietnamese MiG-21 skin for THIS sim... or it was an attempt to create a JG27 Bf-109F skin for Warbirds.

At the time I was trying to learn how to do 3D (unsuccessfully for the most part then), so I hadn't done any "from scratch" aircraft.

1st model I made was for Janes USAF..it was an erm....French equivalent to the 737...cant recall name...

2nd was either Hawk T1A or 1st version of P47N...for SFP1...dont remember which a\c was 1st...tho I suspect it was the hawk..

I started in 2001. Our squad was laddering in Ghost Recon and we turned replays on in our server. I made a tool that would catch the retlockers (cheaters) when viewing a replay. Then I moved on to graphic modding cuz I get a headache when it comes to any kind of coding.

Guest 531_Ghost
Its OK to pace yourself. Wouldn't want to burn out or anything... :biggrin:

Absolutely! :blink:

I got started in 1999 with Janes F/A-18. I had done some slight retextures to increase immursion such as a dark navy blue nonskid for the Reagan's deck complete with tiedowns which I shared with my online squadron. I was interested in seeing a squadron skin for the Sea Dragons VFA-107, and was ...lol volunteered in a perfectly military mannor to make it. The result....

post-19294-1221077532_thumb.jpg

I continued meagre skinning in Janes FA-18 and ended up with an entire airwing for the Reagan.

After I bought CFS2 I started resknning aircraft that I didn't entorely like the markings on, mainly the F4U Corsair.

post-19294-1221077861_thumb.jpg

This is where I really got hooked and have been skinning some sim ever since. I even made a BE-1900D panel for FS2004 so I could practice in the airplane I was tlying at the time.

Edited by drdoyo

..... i got FS98 for my 11th birthday...started trying to get my hands on myriad military flight sims...

.....found the LAST original copy of Strike Fighters:Project 1 in late 2003, at an EB Games in a mall where i lived...

[i SWEAR it's the last one LOL :ok: ]

.....my life has never been the same ever since.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by SidDogg

1999-ish with the half-life and unreal games....I rigged up a working coopertive multiplayer before anyone released a mod for it. Screwed around and got all of the original Unreal's stuff working in unreal tournament and did similar with coop and porting stuff around without actually making or releasing true mods.

The real start was 2002 when I started with Tamriel Rebuilt for Morrowind. I started out making all sorts of weapons in the construction set, dabbled in world building, did some photoshop work for things like the logo we used and made some weapons and random object models, designed a few quests and factions.

I've been modding since 96. Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 had just come out and shortly after it's release several editors hit the scene allowing you to add custom cars, edit driver info, team stats, even create and add new tracks. I started modding that, and then it parlayed into level design for Unreal and Unreal Tournament, then went back to racing and created a full mod for F1Challenge and then started skinning for the thirdwire games.

I started with Janes ATF I made all planes flyable, heli too and I found out how to drive around with a tank, ship or SAM and even how to stay around and look cool as a building.

I posted this on the Dirty little helper site and some one else posted it in this prog....

Yes it was me ... :whistle2:

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

The first mod I ever performed was replacing the main screen music of First Eagles with the Monkey Island theme. Man, I love Monkey Island.

I guess this would have been about a year, year and a half ago.

Edited by Longestpants