Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

This Can't be good.....

Um thanks Ed for letting me test this......I think......

We call this SAM system in the USAF, "The Wall". When a target is protected by this SAM system, it takes a whole new approach to beating it. Even using stealth against it has it limitations.

It is one bad MOFO.

So, is going in fast and low, and terrain masking a good way to avoid it? Even though, then you have Tungustas to avoid.

The tunguskas use radar also but can fire independantly of it. However if think that by flying low and fast matching the countour of the terrain is the best way to avoid being hit by ainti aircraft fire. It also protects you from enemy fighters who have a hard time chasing you at such an altitude. I am not sure if this is true or not but i think you can sneak up on the anti air deffenses. I remember on one mission i flew over a sam and AAA hornets nest and got no fire coming up at me untill i had already passed it. I turned for a second run and got creamed. So i think you can catch them by surprise. -+

Fast and low is the way to go

Please tell me this "development" is isolated to your own inner musings, and was not somehow added to a stock situation.

I mean that would be mean.

TK Sez, "Sure, go ahead and ratchet the time ahead to fly that shiny Raptor of Typhoon, you're gonna regret it!"

:blink:

Please tell me this "development" is isolated to your own inner musings, and was not somehow added to a stock situation.

Guess what, Spectre... :haha:The_Wall.wmv Still a beta, but it's getting there.....this is Monty CZ's baby, so you know it'll be top notch.

Top notch?

Most assuredly!

On my system?

Not bloody likely!

I have enough problems with SA's 2, 6, 9, and their AAA buddies...

___EDIT___

Impressive video. Reminds me of the Patriot system a bit.

Maybe Monty can be turned from the dark side? :biggrin:

Edited by Spectre_USA

A disturbing development......

gallery_279_43_46332.jpg

D*** Im screwed!

I didn't get to it late last night, but looking forward to this one!!

lol - you releasing different versions of these?

Is Wikis service date entry of 1978/79 for the S-300 system accurate?? - surprised the Iraqis never got any the amount they spent on Russian SAMs during the 80s!!

lol - you releasing different versions of these?

Is Wikis service date entry of 1978/79 for the S-300 system accurate?? - surprised the Iraqis never got any the amount they spent on Russian SAMs during the 80s!!

The first S-300s were deployed in the USSR in 1979. The first exports, outside of the Eastern Bloc, were in 1989-1990.

S-300s and Fencers. Great!

Although the former does bring a tear to my eye.

"Look, man. I hate SAMs. I get all worked up just thinking about them."

-S

S-300s and Fencers. Great!

Although the former does bring a tear to my eye.

"Look, man. I hate SAMs. I get all worked up just thinking about them."

-S

Ya see, Iron Hand's my thing.......

Ya see, Iron Hand's my thing.......

And getting people in and out of high threat areas with minimal casualties is mine. I don't know what everyone's getting so worked up about. It all comes down to the ancient concept of Measure/Counter-measure. Look at the the vid once again. the SAMs are firing on what is basically a target range setup.

It's a damn impressive system but it can be overcome like every other form of defense.

And getting people in and out of high threat areas with minimal casualties is mine. I don't know what everyone's getting so worked up about. It all comes down to the ancient concept of Measure/Counter-measure. Look at the the vid once again. the SAMs are firing on what is basically a target range setup.

It's a damn impressive system but it can be overcome like every other form of defense.

But only when you know where they are at and when they are looking/shooting at you! ;)

-S

But only when you know where they are at and when they are looking/shooting at you! ;)

-S

Personal rule #1 concerning enemy SAM sites.

Always assume they will be where your easiest approach to the target will be.

Personal rule #2- Always expect multiple Sam sites in every area.

Personal rule #3-Expect SAM from the second you are in enemy territory to the time you are back over the fence.

Looks like it's time to get the HARMs with nuclear warheads out... :biggrin:

Well, I just verified that the S-300 will launch against aircraft over 40 nm away (in-game). At that range, the best countermeasure is a quick, spiraling dive down to the deck, pumping chaff all the way. It's still disconcerting watching the approaching missile maintain it's head-on aspect to you, while you're doing so....

The Nike will engage well beyond that range, but it's meant to be a nuke-tipped bomber killer, so it's not too hard to dodge.

Well, I just verified that the S-300 will launch against aircraft over 40 nm away (in-game). At that range, the best countermeasure is a quick, spiraling dive down to the deck, pumping chaff all the way. It's still disconcerting watching the approaching missile maintain it's head-on aspect to you, while you're doing so....

The Nike will engage well beyond that range, but it's meant to be a nuke-tipped bomber killer, so it's not too hard to dodge.

A tactic i would try is to go 180 to the SAMs approach and head down while pumping chaff. The chaff should provide a curtain that will hide your aircraft from the missle.

The only X i can see is the range/altitude/distance factor that has to be considered for proper timing.