Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

BLUE ANGELS down 1 plane

2 members of the US Navy Blue Angels are facing military court, and possible discharge for an inappropriate relationship. For the remainder of the season they will fly only a 5 ship demo.

Military Times reports that 1 of the involved is an aviator.

Edited by MAKO69

Meaning?

Meaning, a higher rank or supervisor being romantically or sexually involved with a lower rank within their command. This is a very touchy subject, but folks in the military generally can tell when this kind of thing is acceptable, and when it's not.

For instance, an Airman can date a Sergeant, but not within the same command structure. The chances a relationship can be used to curry favor on performance reviews is just too great.

Alternatively, I know a Major married to an LT, which is fine, as long as it's a legal marriage and the Air Force knows about it, and it wasn't inappropriate to start with. (They were at different bases during their courtship.)

That sucks but i guess the army know what they are doing

Jesus, what an huge clusterf***, in our navy i know officers who date and got married with enlisted men in the same chain of command, as long that they keep the relation in check during deployements there is no problem, when they are in an hotel room and do theyr things it DOESN'T regard the navy let them be happy

That sucks but i guess the army know what they are doing

It happens in every branch of service. More than likely it was a higher rank supervisor, lower rank subordinate thing which is technically very forbidden in any branch of US service. It all depends on who wants to push the issue. I know officers married to enlisted, and the officers get much grief over it. Caused one of my friends to resign her commission.

It happens in every branch of service. More than likely it was a higher rank supervisor, lower rank subordinate thing which is technically very forbidden in any branch of US service. It all depends on who wants to push the issue. I know officers married to enlisted, and the officers get much grief over it. Caused one of my friends to resign her commission.

and potentially a situation involving individuals who are married to others. Adultery within a squadron is what would kick a proceeding into a court-martial. Not just dating between singles. No one really cares about that anymore as long as the individuals are not in a supervisory situation.

No one really cares about that anymore as long as the individuals are not in a supervisory situation.

Not sure I agree with you there Andy. Might of been just a Tinker AFB thing but people we getting burned for it right and left. Supervisory situation or not.

You got me frightened with such topic title, afraid of a deadly mishap :shok:

Btw, i don´t know how could it happen IN THE NAVY :ghey:

Edited by macelena

This isn't the first time this has happened in the Blue Angels. I remember when the Marine Aviator in the squadron was fired for having a relationship with a junior on the team. I think this was in the late 90's early 2000's

Not sure I agree with you there Andy. Might of been just a Tinker AFB thing but people we getting burned for it right and left. Supervisory situation or not.

The services are doing their best, but when you put women and men in close proximity, men and women do the same things that they do everywhere else. Surprise, surprise! Up and down the rank structure, it is all about undue influence or out of line actions in regard to duty, risk, responsibility, etc. The military is great about making situations FUBAR in this area because it is vague guidance to people used to getting explicit guidance. It is a judgement call that the military is not keen on making and actively encourages membership to not go that way. Nevertheless, people are people and get in remarkable circumstances when romance is an issue. Sex is defended as romance and romance is viewed as sex. It is still all about undue influence and what small scope of solutions to those sort of problems are available to the military in normal circumstances. Viewed from the perspective of a combat situation, the scope narrows even further. I don't think there are any good answers, but the Israelies seem to be better at handling it than most. Then again, they have to deal with it since it is a small country surrounded by enemies. The US is a large country which can select it enemies and is constrained by our politics. Dealing with this issue is always going to be unsatisfactory to the service, the guy who has to deal with it and the personnel involved.

Glad I'm retired.

Btw, i don´t know how could it happen IN THE NAVY :ghey:

:rofl:

Guest USNadpc

In the military this crap needs to be put to rest. If you think that there isn't going to be sex within this military you're crazy. And who cares who is doing it as long as it's not prohibiting their job performance.

In the military this crap needs to be put to rest. If you think that there isn't going to be sex within this military you're crazy. And who cares who is doing it as long as it's not prohibiting their job performance.

Agreed, I mean the military takes it to extremes. I have yet in my 17 years in the USAF/USAFR ever seen a unit taken out of action/deployments etc because someone was screwing someone else.

I think the problem is that both parties are married, when I was in adultry among service members ofcrs or ncos was a deff. no no too Daffy.

The services are doing their best, but when you put women and men in close proximity, men and women do the same things that they do everywhere else. Surprise, surprise! Up and down the rank structure, it is all about undue influence or out of line actions in regard to duty, risk, responsibility, etc. The military is great about making situations FUBAR in this area because it is vague guidance to people used to getting explicit guidance. It is a judgement call that the military is not keen on making and actively encourages membership to not go that way. Nevertheless, people are people and get in remarkable circumstances when romance is an issue. Sex is defended as romance and romance is viewed as sex. It is still all about undue influence and what small scope of solutions to those sort of problems are available to the military in normal circumstances. Viewed from the perspective of a combat situation, the scope narrows even further. I don't think there are any good answers, but the Israelies seem to be better at handling it than most. Then again, they have to deal with it since it is a small country surrounded by enemies. The US is a large country which can select it enemies and is constrained by our politics. Dealing with this issue is always going to be unsatisfactory to the service, the guy who has to deal with it and the personnel involved.

Glad I'm retired.

agree completely, particularly the last line!

"Btw, i don´t know how could it happen IN THE NAVY "

you must have missed all of the Women at Sea press releases for the last couple of decades.......

Besides, we aren't all at sea ALL the time! It has been a real headache for a long, long time.

Dave, I'm not inclined to argue with you, particularly with a specific location like Tinker. I've heard a lot about Tinker over the years from a lot of people who went through that meat grinder, but I'm inclined to view Tinker as an anomoly for reasons that I do not comprehend.

I've seen a lot of people completely trash their careers and go down in flames (no pun intended) over an illicit romance. For someone to reach Flag and General Officer rank, and then tube their career over an adulterous fling with someone on their staff is to me, incomprehensible. And yet, I've seen it happen time and time again in every grade and service. One might even call this - presidential............

My point is that I've only seen the axe fall when it is an adulterous affair that involves undue influence in a supervisory position (REALLY no pun intended!!) or otherwise compromised the chain of command. Most of the time people are not inclined to interfere in the normal course of he'n and she'n as long as it does not cross that line. I've even seen people moved around to different branchs, divisions, squadrons, etc., in order to defuse the undue influence part and let things follow the normal course of events. And yes, I even include commissioned involved with non-commisioned in that. Some friends of ours in fact were in that situation and heck, I even know a bi-national couple with a coordinated assignment/posting!

At this point, all any of us can do is speculate on what is behind this sad report. I am sure that the press, licking their, er, chops at another scandal, will fill us all in on the sordid, juicy details in very short order.

and a couple of people have lost their careers.

At the end of the day it's human nature no matter what job you do.

I'm not military so don't flame me if I this comes across wrong.

To quote Joe Haldeman (sorry Joe):

"I don't care what you do, grabass all day and f**k all night, but when you go outside you gotta have the discipline that would shame a centurion"

However, saying that I know it's a touchy subject in just about all military (though I can think of a couple of exceptions!).

My take on it is, as long as you can do your job to the criteria specified and you don't let it interfere with your efficiency - who cares!

Its not a problem until they start putting on adult diapers and driving cross-country to assassinate each other.

In the RN it's essentially a case of 'as long a it happens ashore and doesn't affect the chain of command on board it's not our business'. Not that I haven't met some COs who took a different opinion despite having no grounds to in the articles of war or naval discipline act.

Not 100% sure on the position of the other services, I have a feeling the Army is very anti inter-rank relationships for some reason and it's all far too close to being some sort of military issue for the RAF.

Of course the important thing is to remember rule #1, 'Don't get caught'.

Its not a problem until they start putting on adult diapers and driving cross-country to assassinate each other.

No kidding!

"There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning. Promote 'em all, I say, 'cause this is true: if you haven't gotten a blowjob from a superior officer, well, you're just letting the best in life pass you by. " - Jack Nicholson

Syrinx

Joe Haldeman Rules!

FW best novel of .. well forever.

You are wrong... many years ago I was in a Maintenance Group...for brevity, will cut to the chase: dude kept sending this one guy TDY all of the time...when asked he said "he's the best, we need his expertise in the field"...until one day whilst this guy was TDY and "someone" saw the dude bringing candy and flowers to the guy's wife (who lived on base, stoopid)...investigation revealed the stunning.

In IBM it doesnt matter...but in the military we deal in lives and danger...trust must be absolute...there is no place for it, period.

And how do you determine "it's not prohibiting their job performance"?...best way is to avoid it...dont fish from the company pier...there are literally billions of people NOT in the military, go bang them instead.

In the words of Salt n Peppa "None your Buisness" I think its BS dont hate the playa hate the game.

It BS because the NAVY has to be knee deep in your s**t. I say who gives a s**t live and let live. I am glad I'm out too JUG.

Edited by MAKO69