Sign in to follow this  
Anthony W.

Something Really Really Big?

I'm just wondering, what is the absolute biggest(size not power)weapon a fighter bomber can carry? I have the latest weapons packs

You have to be more specific. Weight-wise, probably about 3000 lbs /1400 kilos on a single pylon.

Tzar Bomb :-P

Key word there is FIGHTERBOMBER,that thing is made for a heavy bomber... Its a nice huge bomb, but what is the biggest a FIGHTERBOMBER can carry? Aslo, since when is the Tzar modeled into the game?

The heaviest weapon a US fighter-bomber can operationally carry is the the MK84 bomb body, 2000 lb class weapon, and any guidance kit that is attached. The largest ASM operationally carried is the SLAM-ER. I won't mention nukes because they are not carried regularly and you don't need to know.

Anyone else know if the GBU-28 is in the weapons pack. I believe that is a 3000lb class weapon only carried by the F-111F's and F-15E's.

Vamp

Edited by Vampyre

The GBU-28 is in the packs, at least the ones I have in my game. Try the latest Mirage factory and Community packs one of them should have it. Note I left out the GBU-28 because it's specific to one airframe, first the F-111 and now the F-15E, The Mk 84's are used daily by all services in multiple airframes.

I still don't understand the intent of the original post, just because you lug the biggest bomb don't mean you can use it, especially with the concern regarding collateral damage. Bigger now days is not better when you want to take out a room and not the whole neighborhood. Plus it's a waste of fuel needing at least one IFR after takeoff.

Edited by firehawkordy

One more thing, sometime you don't even need a bomb with explosive installed. During the 90's aircraft enforcing the "no-fly" zone in Iraq would hit SAM sites with BDU-45's with a laser seeker installed. It was easier to drop a 500lb chunk of concrete and steel onto the RADAR van than it was to blow it up, same result, trashed equipment but the school yard it was parked in was still usable.

One more thing, sometime you don't even need a bomb with explosive installed. During the 90's aircraft enforcing the "no-fly" zone in Iraq would hit SAM sites with BDU-45's with a laser seeker installed. It was easier to drop a 500lb chunk of concrete and steel onto the RADAR van than it was to blow it up, same result, trashed equipment but the school yard it was parked in was still usable.

I don't intend on using it, I just think it'll look pretty dang sweet.

My F-4 can carry the 3000lb bomb with ease and I don't care about damage I drop it over Hanoi and Haiphong and I don't care about collateral damage :biggrin:

Edited by Viper6

Anthony W,

The data.inis of all aircraft are alterable. You can carry a damn Saturn V rocket if you want.

FC

Fw-190 carried a shucks I forgot -- a 2 engine bomber type plane as glide bomb. Oleg made this into the FB/PF sim.

Well, okay maybe the bomber carried the Fw. :biggrin:

Lexx: Veltro did try that some time back. Though the problem would be the launch vehicle itself. Also, I gave Phantoms some damn Hawks (as in, the SAM) to they could hurl those things at my flight of Phantoms.

Edited by kct

Fw-190 carried a shucks I forgot -- a 2 engine bomber type plane as glide bomb. Oleg made this into the FB/PF sim.

Well, okay maybe the bomber carried the Fw. :biggrin:

The bomber technically carried the 190, but the 190 controled the bomber. It was a JU-88 with a weird nose.

Also, with the full mission builder in IL2 you can fly that contraption

Edited by Anthony W.

The bomber technically carried the 190, but the 190 controled the bomber. It was a JU-88 with a weird nose.

Also, with the full mission builder in IL2 you can fly that contraption

Mistel

The GBU-28 is in the packs, at least the ones I have in my game. Try the latest Mirage factory and Community packs one of them should have it. Note I left out the GBU-28 because it's specific to one airframe, first the F-111 and now the F-15E, The Mk 84's are used daily by all services in multiple airframes.

I still don't understand the intent of the original post, just because you lug the biggest bomb don't mean you can use it, especially with the concern regarding collateral damage. Bigger now days is not better when you want to take out a room and not the whole neighborhood. Plus it's a waste of fuel needing at least one IFR after takeoff.

Trying not to hijack the thread.

My priorities are as follows...1-Hitting the target, 2-Getting my wingmen out alive, 3-Getting myself out alive. All things considered, collateral damage is probaly number 100 out of 100 things i have to worry about in the course of a typical mission.

Trying not to hijack the thread.

My priorities are as follows...1-Hitting the target, 2-Getting my wingmen out alive, 3-Getting myself out alive. All things considered, collateral damage is probaly number 100 out of 100 things i have to worry about in the course of a typical mission.

My priorities are: Make sure I send my wingmen home and go in on the deck with open throttle, hit the target, hit everything else around it, while in full burner run at least 20 miles away or if possible out to sea, then if I have the gas get to home base, if not get to a friendly base, if that fails find a friendly unit to land near, and if all that fails get up pretty high and go as fast as I can and eject making sure nothing in that plane is salvageable.

My priorities are: Make sure I send my wingmen home and go in on the deck with open throttle, hit the target, hit everything else around it, while in full burner run at least 20 miles away or if possible out to sea, then if I have the gas get to home base, if not get to a friendly base, if that fails find a friendly unit to land near, and if all that fails get up pretty high and go as fast as I can and eject making sure nothing in that plane is salvageable.

My priorities are to fly and fight, to attack until there is nothing left to attack with, and to kill MiGs........................anything less is.........well.............less.

Get in, drop what I got to leave off, then head home. At times I'll take a wingnut but most of the time I fly solo.

Get in, drop what I got to leave off, then head home. At times I'll take a wingnut but most of the time I fly solo.

you loner, I take a full flight of 16 and just use them as decoys in high threat environments :)

you loner, I take a full flight of 16 and just use them as decoys in high threat environments :)

Well... it's not the best philosophy sometimes.. but it alleviates the "dumb wingnut" issue sometimes depending on the map. DBS, DS, and SoCal (sometimes) I'll take one but if it's going to be low level definitely Lone Wolf.

You do that too often and you'll have no choice but to fly solo before too long AOCBravo.

I tried my 1st strike into Kuwait City in my 1st ODS campaign today. About mission 8, I believe.

Tasked as a 2 shipper. As I knew the area to be hot, I got all able bodied, 80% or better, men into machines. Our 8 shipper went up loaded for SEAD bear!

4 made it back. :blink:

The prior 7 missions it was just me and a wingie, not losses to that point.

You know how the 4 got lost? Crashes. Not SAMs, not AAA, just gravity versus terra firma...

Some early Soviet cruise missiles were literally MiGs dropped by bombers. :biggrin: