Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Have Turned to the Dark Side

I finally got the wife and I iphones. They are cool as hell, fun and handy. Any other iphone users? What app have you downloaded?

Also, to not turn this in a peeing contest, if you dont like them for whatever reason, please keep it to yourself. I seem to recall the last time it was brought up it went that way. I don't want to hear it. Thank you for your cooperation.

ive never liked apple products, but lately, ive been addicted to the ipod touch. hispeed wifi at work and a ipod touch keep me awake all night long at work.

Used to have an Ipod touch. Very cool piece of kit. Especially when the firmware have been unlocked....

Especially when the firmware have been unlocked....

Can you explain that more?

In the Dutch case, it means you can alter the software and use the iPhone

with all cell phone providers, instead of the original one offering it.

Dunno what it is the Welch way. I myself have a simple phone,

a toshiba laptop computer and a stoneage notebook in case I forget something.

Never lets me down!

Enjoy the I Pood mate!

Yeah sure. If you go to jailbreakme.com this site allows you to download a version of the ipod firmware that allows endless customisabilty, adding games, various programs etc all for free. However when i done it my firmware was version 1.15 and i needed to downgrade it to 1.14 for it to be able to work. Ive gotta be honest this was around two years ago and i think the apple firmware is currently on the 2. something release. If you want to do it though Dave i will ask my brother who recently unlocked his how he done exactly and pass the instructions on.

Mike

Funny thing about the Iphone...

A friend of mine sent me one last September after getting back into regular commo after me being away and more or less out of touch with my family for the last 10 years. I looked at it, tossed it in a drawer and it's been there collecting dust ever since. Even my last cell phone, a cheap Motorola i picked up in a Walmart is collecting dust. I only use cell phones to get jobs and then toss them.

Can't see the benefit of being leashed to the world 24/7/365

Just out of curiosity, perhaps i should hook up the Iphone and mess around with it for a month.

Can you explain that more?
Dave! Don't Hack your phone! lol

Dave! Don't Hack your phone! lol

Just as an afterthought when i did it it was perfectly legal to. I did check it out at the time and apparently it was legal because apple have signed the GNU licences or something. Whether it is still the case i have no idea

Mike

i have an iPhone... it's great :)

you have so many applications to choose from!!

the only problem i have now that the army gave me a phone from a company that can't be used with the iPhone

so most of the calls i do from the other phone... iPhone is used mainly to get calls from friends\family and MP3\4 player

This thing is a blast. Not sure about the being leashed to the world though. You are only leashed if you want to be.

I have 4 kids, 2 in school, 2 in day care. Wife is AD Army and I'm full time USAFR. So we have to keep in touch with each other. Its manditory.

My wife looked into it but balked at the monthly price tag for mandatory features she wasn't going to use much. She instead got an iPod touch this weekend and will get some other smart phone (with lower $$ costs!) for the phone side to replace her dying SLVR (the non-flip RAZR if you don't know).

I think they're (iphones) overpriced for what they offer, but some people don't mind. I do believe there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well.

LOL...all my Mac friends (graphic designers all of them) told me when I bought my first PC after years of buying Apple thatI was turning to the dark side.

Nah i only do txt and voice calls with my phone - and apart from that i either drop it or sit on it every day - luckily its a metal sony erricsson so has managed to last a year nearly :)

I did toy with getting the phone but I would have had to change mobile operator and pay a higher monthly subscription so instead I got an ipod touch and a free phone upgrade so I've got the best of both worlds. Although I do seem to carry more electronics around than a branch of Dixons....

With the iPhone it isn't what you get necessarily...it's how it works. The iPhone's interface is simple and powerful. Other phones are much clunkier in execution...why do you think other phones are going the same way?

As a human factors major, I can appreciate what the iPhone brings to the table.

As a person who likes to tinker, I like the idea of a firmware upgrade to unlock/add features even more (I've been doing that with my PSP for years).

Each person is different...some need that conductivity, some don't, some need varying degrees. Don't think your viewpoint is the only right one.

Actually, I've been slowly reducing my device count as more convergence arrives...used to be I had a phone, PDA, and MP3 player. Now it's just the phone. Once a phone actually gets decent playable games...the PSP goes too.

FC

I think they're (iphones) overpriced for what they offer, but some people don't mind. I do believe there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well.

Like the Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic. But that is another subject I'll leave for another day.

I would love to have a phone that basically does everything, but then again...

Edited by kct

I don't have or need a PDA, but my wife does. Her Palm (her 2nd) is now pretty much dead as well as the first, so she's looking to replace that. The ipod touch pretty much CAN be a PDA with contacts, maps, email, etc, so all she needs now is a new phone.

I personally do not like the idea of "all your eggs in one basket". I would never want to worry about my cell phone's battery being dead because I listened to the MP3's too long! PDA + phone is fine, PDA + MP3 is fine, but I don't think I'll ever go for MP3 + phone. Especially as where I work you're not allowed to bring cell phones into a LOT of places so I'd rather it be a cheapo one if I have to leave it in the car or a box by a door.

It looks like the iphone and ipod touch have a lot of apps that run on both. There are some crazy ones out there! Again, the wife just got hers so she's not looked thru them seriously yet.

I don't have or need a PDA, but my wife does. Her Palm (her 2nd) is now pretty much dead as well as the first, so she's looking to replace that. The ipod touch pretty much CAN be a PDA with contacts, maps, email, etc, so all she needs now is a new phone.

I personally do not like the idea of "all your eggs in one basket". I would never want to worry about my cell phone's battery being dead because I listened to the MP3's too long! PDA + phone is fine, PDA + MP3 is fine, but I don't think I'll ever go for MP3 + phone. Especially as where I work you're not allowed to bring cell phones into a LOT of places so I'd rather it be a cheapo one if I have to leave it in the car or a box by a door.

It looks like the iphone and ipod touch have a lot of apps that run on both. There are some crazy ones out there! Again, the wife just got hers so she's not looked thru them seriously yet.

I have some songs and a couple vids on my iphone. I use my ipod for the gym. I will say I do not use my iphone for music as much I thought I would for that very reason JM brought up. But I do use it for everything else. I am also a gadget junkie too, so things like the iphone and ipod are fun. Its not a status thing for me. I am almost 37 years old, I have no one to impress and can give a f*** about most peoples opinions about the everyone having ipods etc. They work for me and I enjoy having them. However its not for everyone. So I guess its mileage may very. If you throw your cell in a drawer after work, you don't need an iphone, but if someone doesn't have one just because everyone else does, they are missing out. To me a person like that does care about their status and by not having the latest thing etc in their minds somehow makes them a stand out. PULLLEEEAAAAASSSEEE I mean heaven forbid, you have something you like.. and... and wait, someone else has it too? OMG, how could they? :sorry::blink::glare: If an iphone works for you, great, if it doesn't, hey thats good too. People need to quit worrying about whether or not someone might think of them over an iphone for example and do things that that make them happy.

I will say having used iTunes as well as WMP and the software that came with my Creative Zen and some of the wife's earlier MP3s I do NOT care for iTunes much at all. I prefer buying songs from Amazon anyway. Unfortunately the wife bought a bunch of protected WMAs from Walmart.com and the ipod won't go there. So we have to re-rip the CDs we burned of them, losing quality in the process.

What does it mean when a song has a ! next to the number? It seems to mean "You're not getting THIS on there!!"

My Zen has the best software for loading stuff I've tried, it's just not entirely stable. Sometimes I'll click to open a folder and it just shuts down! No errors, just like I clicked close.

I love my iPhone. Would not trade it for any other device currently out there.

I have been using Itunes for a few years now and I like it. I did use the pay Napster ages ago. But other than that, I haven't used anything else so I really do not have a basis for comparison. My biggest problem is that once I find a program I like, I usually just stick with it. Which leads not ever looking for a program that might be better.

My wife has an older iPod. While the interface is nice, we can't stand iTunes. That's one thing I really don't understand about Apple. Why they can't make it simple drag and drop into a directory and look up the metadata later, vs drag, wait to convert, look up the metadata, then put it into the iPod.

Hell Dave, I remember the issues you were having with your iPod and iTunes...how many times did you lose all 3k+ worth of songs?

I don't mind having them on an iPod, I just don't want to go through iTunes.

FC

My wife has an older iPod. While the interface is nice, we can't stand iTunes. That's one thing I really don't understand about Apple. Why they can't make it simple drag and drop into a directory and look up the metadata later, vs drag, wait to convert, look up the metadata, then put it into the iPod.

Hell Dave, I remember the issues you were having with your iPod and iTunes...how many times did you lose all 3k+ worth of songs?

I don't mind having them on an iPod, I just don't want to go through iTunes.

FC

Well come to find out it wasnt my Itunes, it was Vista dicking with my Ipod when I plugged it in. I did find a fix for it though. Reloading 3K worth if songs suck. But now I got the problem solved its all good.