Sign in to follow this  

If you haven't returned to base with virtual tumbleweed wrapped around your pitot then you haven't been low enough.

One day a crew came back from a firefighting mission most of the branches from the top of small tree wrapped around the wingtip of the CL415

I've tried using the terrian aviodance radar but it felt sorta weird. I never had a problem with it in WOV but i can't seem get the same vibe in ODS.

For ease of flight on the deck, the F-16 is a dream to fly. Now that is one plane i'll take zipping through the trees with no problem!

Friend of mine had a posting to a radar site on West Falkland for 6 months. He came back with some amazing photos.

The site was made up of shipping containers and he was stood on top of one when an F-4 flew through the site BELOW him. He clicked the camera and you were looking down into the cockpit :biggrin:

Nutters!!

Oh, the Jags in DS did originally start flying low but they lost one before it all kicked off, so they went a bit higher. A friend of mine flew 'Katrina Jane' and was filmed by CNN on Jan 17th as he got out the cockpit and talked about how they 'run home bravely' after hitting the target. Man that was a long time ago.

If NATO learnt of his experiences, the

casualties by tornado units from RAF and AMI in Desert Storm would have been so high.

AMI lost ONE tornado, out of 10 deployed in the area.

Also no battledamage has been reported

Just rememberered a tale from Red Flag, an RAF tornado came back minus the top two feet of the fin... there were also reports of loss of telephone or power services.... turns out they had gone under a wire and severed it. Unfortunatly I can't remember when this happened.

Craig

Friend of mine had a posting to a radar site on West Falkland for 6 months. He came back with some amazing photos.

The site was made up of shipping containers and he was stood on top of one when an F-4 flew through the site BELOW him. He clicked the camera and you were looking down into the cockpit :biggrin:

Yeah the radio call for those is measles (and a big morale boost for the guys in the way out areas). I spent time down there in 1997 when there where Tornado F-3's running loose... but I was on East Falkland up at Mount Kent...

Like I posted in the screenshot thread a while ago, 5m above the ground and 1302 kmh above the speed limit.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=20762

I use the terrain avoidance radar and the altimeter. No HUD mod needed.

The F-111A was faster at tree tops, with a bombload. :biggrin:

Mk.1 eyeball and gunsight, really gets the pucker factor going though, especially the F :good:

But just to be rude because I'm not in a good mood, let's bring the topic back to the game, not real world events, ze Aviatzion topic is the place to go :good:

I've lost front gear after this one :smile:

@Rodent: that was crazy! I palced these road signs to prevent such behaviour, you scared the s**t out of my cows :rofl:

AMI lost ONE tornado, out of 10 deployed in the area.

Also no battledamage has been reported

10% of the force is too much. If it could have been avoided(i don´t blame AMI, RAF had the same percentage, IIRC), it should already had been in doctrine.

Another example could have been the Mirage 2000N lost in Bihac (IIRC the town). After ours of SEAD by usn, usmc

and spanish hornets, they flew low enough to get the threat wich can´t be sweeped by SEAD: Sa-7. I don´t

know if it was a limitation due to the weather in wich the operation runned, if the N version had to get that low to deliver

accurately the weapons.

Flying low is BAD. But also too malish :cool:

Edited by macelena

As to the Buccaneer's they used to be tracked visually at Red Flag as they used to look for rooster tails in the desert and there are a few sand tracks when they banked... On a personal note I was on exercise around 93/94 I think and I remember looking out to sea and seeing a rooster tail in the water and then a Bucc flying below the height of spit of land I was stood on and remember I could have waved down to the crew... ever since then I renamed them Fuccaneer's. When you can go that low who needs Fighters??? They used to in 70's out run F-4's on the deck... as the F-4 couldn't get a lock and they where bouncing around... I reckon if they had updated the electronics etc they would still be a very viable strike aircraft today...

Does anyone remember the BBC TV footage from Beirut in the mid-Eighties, showing a pair of Buccs "patrolling" between the apartment buildings?

Buccaneer had a longer range than a Tornado too. In an early trial of the latter's AAR capabilities, a Tornado was buddy-buddy refuelled by a Bucc on a deployment to Akrotiri. When they got there the Tornado was flying on fumes, the Bucc still had plenty left. There was a school of thought in the Service that we should have "productionised" the Buccaneer that was used as the Tornado radar testbed, and bought a couple of hundred of those instead.

Looks nicer too..

Mike

Sometimes you have to get low.

Just got shot down and taken prisoner a while ago while trying to egress after hitting the runway at K-2. Made a really bad choice. Instead of heading north while in the weeds, i tried to make it over the mountain as fast as i can.

Evaded one SAM, the second got me.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

Sometimes you have have to get low.

Just got shot down and taken prisoner a while ago while trying to egress after hitting the runway at K-2. Made a really bad choice. Instead of heading north while in the weeds ,i tried to make it over the mountain as fast as i can.

Evaded one SAM, the second got me.

ooof thats harsh init. its always the second one that gets you!

I get to about 10 feet... But hell, I often have to avoid gunfire. So, at 10 feet most migs wont take that risk

any Buccaneer for Wo*?

also how do you set the speed indicaton to mph, i saw the viggen shot with the speed in kmh, i have WoI.

Edited by the norm

any Buccaneer for Wo*?

also how do you set the speed indicaton to mph, i saw the viggen shot with the speed in kmh, i have WoI.

1) Not yet. it's still a WIP

2) Only knots or KPH are allowed, and, indicated airspeed is what's displayed on the mini-hud (as opposed to true airspeed).

I remember being at Biggin Hill Air Fair years ago when everybody was watching a display finish.

The tannoy then announced that there would be a short break before the next aircraft arrived so people started pulling back from the display line and wandering around. It was quite quiet as well.

Then I just saw something out of the corner of my eye and heard the loudest noise I'd ever heard as x4 Canadian F-104 Starfighters flew from behind the crowd, over the crowd at 90 degs to the runway and at about 60ft. I swear 5000 people hit the deck en masse!!

There were kids crying, grannies having heart attacks and car alarms going off everywhere.

I thought it was great :biggrin:

Does anyone remember the BBC TV footage from Beirut in the mid-Eighties, showing a pair of Buccs "patrolling" between the apartment buildings?

Buccaneer had a longer range than a Tornado too. In an early trial of the latter's AAR capabilities, a Tornado was buddy-buddy refuelled by a Bucc on a deployment to Akrotiri. When they got there the Tornado was flying on fumes, the Bucc still had plenty left. There was a school of thought in the Service that we should have "productionised" the Buccaneer that was used as the Tornado radar testbed, and bought a couple of hundred of those instead.

Looks nicer too..

Mike

He's right about the Buccaneer looks damn good even on a bad day... and yeah I remember footage of Buccanneers doing the low flying thing...

Also how low do I go if I can do a 90degree bank I am too high... but saying that I normally playing at shoot the Sam before he shoots me...

In all I figure out the threat and then adapt your flying to it e.g. lots of SA2 / 3 /5 / 6 get low lots of SA-8 / 9 Guns come in at 20000ft plus... if its a mix of the lot then its down low...

Also found this on Youthingy...

Edited by PACMAN

I managed to get a lot of experience dealing with SAMs at low level flying an RF4C while i was working on making a WOE SAM map.

While attacking the K2 base, i came from over the mountain and set up for my usual approach. With about 10 seconds to drop i was being tracked and it continued as i made my turn to go back over the mountain and go home. The big mistake is one of my top 10 classics. I actually did everything possible to give the operator a viable target!

You see, i was running a bit late and two other strikes got in before me, bombed, and began egressing the area. My descent to attack altitude actually overflew the outgoing strike by about 500 ft on a reciprocal heading. SAM was up and firing by that time since 2 SAM calls had already happened and so i actually was flying right into the sights of the SAM operator.

The killer errors came as i was turning to get away. My route was the same as i came in, a 180 turn and back over the mountain. I was doing everything possible to make myself a target. As i was in the turn and climbing slightly the first SAM came. It was close but i avoided it. Then back towards the route and that was yet another error. Manuvering to avoid the SAM bled off speed and so now i am beginning to climb insufficiently for the situation. SAM#2 is launched and that's it.

Out of energy and out of luck. I did what i could but i knew i was a goner.

I tried that as well, an SA-5 if I remember on the Range map. I flew around as it locked me up good, but the joker wouldn't fire, made myself the easiest target and it just wailed away.

I'm usually down here when hunting Sams, although I have had a few try and hit me down low. At this height, it's the guns that are the most dangerous.

lowriderc.jpg

This is a laugh to close this thread. (if a Mod wants to)

I just started a new campaign and the first mission went fine. In the second i was just settling in at about 900ft a few seconds from weapons release when i heard an unusal"bang" and the cockpit was lit up brightly from behind.

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! TIME TO GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!

So i punched out and that ends another campaign.

Turns out i got shot down by a 14.5 mm gun.

Nah, as I mentioned in another thread, I took an SA-17 head on, even saw the launch through the targeting pod...

And I've come back shot up pretty bad doing SEAD missions in Afghanistan map.

Go ahead and fly for the Iraqis in ODS:the Great Showdown. If you get above 200ft AGL you're toast. I will usually fly about that height and wait for the HAWK battery to start lobbing missiles my way then duck down low to break their locks. Doing this while flying around their battery will deplete their ready missiles so you can attack the airfield at will... that is if enemy fighters are not in the area. Of course, this tactic also works well with both active and simi-active missiles fired by enemy fighters as well. It is only partially effective against IR missiles. For gun shots, the AI don't deal with the low altitude very well so they have never shot me at Vlow altitude.

Heres an older pic of me egressing the target area. If you look closely you will see my wingman getting shot down by a M-163 while attacking a forward Marine base in the background.

gallery_2302_43_25693.jpg

gallery_2302_43_30014.jpg

The Mirage F-1 is a blast to fly and fight plus you don't have the usual US/CIS weapons.