Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Grandsons first deer

Today is Va. Youth hunt day, My grandson finally asked to be taken hunting,so I took him to a local farm. we weren't even in the stand we started seeing deer. His plan was to take the first deer he could, and he did. His first deer,a small button buck, 60 yards with my 30.06. Even got a heart shot.

Got back to the jeep and it wasn't even cooled off, matter of fact my coffee was still hot. I'm really proud of him, he could have taken a running shot as soon as we came in, but passed on it, waited for a good shot.

Huntersfirst2a.jpg

Edited by Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Boy, is it great to see some youth who have real skills, not just halo skills.

Congratulations on an excellent shot!

The thing I never understand is: what's so great killing helpless (and defenseless) animals with a gun?

If you would go hunting boars with only a knife, that would be skill (and pretty equal chances...)!

But a deer with a gun - that's like shooting cars on the autobahn with a LAW...

The thing I never understand is: what's so great killing helpless (and defenseless) animals with a gun?

If you would go hunting boars with only a knife, that would be skill (and pretty equal chances...)!

It's all about preferance not to mention what Virginia will allow for youth hunt days. I personally use a bow for my dear. However, love small game hunting with my shotgun.

Congrats to the little guy on his first deer. He'll never forget it grandpa. Know that he'll have a special place in his heart forever because of you. Maybe the playstation era of kids isn't hopeless yet. Will have my boys in the field today setting up our stands for thier first hunt. Can't wait for their proud moment and right of passage into manhood.

Because it's a useful skill. Because it provides food on the table. Because it requires discipline and patience. What, you think hunting is like Crysis or something?

Have you ever tried it yourself? I don't mean on a range...I mean out in the bush.

It's really easy to judge sitting behind a computer screen.

FC

Congratulations to your grandson. Now comes the real work of cleaning, etc. lol. Dont do like I did and make a rookie mistake and poke thru the bladder while gutting. Had a garden hose nearby fortunately. Well done little guy...:good:

PS. Oh, and Shaolin, people aint going out to get killed by an animal so its common sense to hunt from ambush or just using stealth. (Thats the same way a lot of animals hunt by the way.) Theyre going out to put food on the table. Even the trophy hunters donate their meat to charities so it doesnt get wasted. Often with an animals hieghtened senses, its hard to get close enough for a shot anyway, so they do get their chances. I dont know how many deer I have alerted to my presece scratching myself or burping up coffee in a stand...lol.

Edited by pcpilot

Boy, is it great to see some youth who have real skills, not just halo skills.

Congratulations on an excellent shot!

Theres alot of reason I can name, BUT the top of the list is, The time i get to spend with my grandson. It teaches him responsibility, to appriciate nature, food in the freezer, and I mean healthy food. Also deer are becoming over populated, and the over all health of the herd is on the decline.

I don't know to many 12 year olds you can trust to hand a modern high powered rifle to and feel confident they will do the right thing, BUT I do with him. How many 12 year olds stay up all night waiting for the morning to go somewhere that doesn't involve a game console? Plus this doesn't have any type of play games. He knows if you mess up you could wound an animal, or hurt another hunter,even kill them.

We don't hunt for sport, we hunt for food.

Something I don't get--shouldn't people say they go hunting for fish instead of "fishing"? There's no difference in the end result, just the technique, but many things are hunted in totally different ways anyway.

You don't go "deering"...

Good shot. Your Grandson must be a natural. I wish it were possible to go hunting here in the UK but with all the firearm laws and prohibitions its all but impossible. The most powerful rifle one can own is a .22 air rifle (which I have) and lets face it, it aint going to bring down much. Anyway rant over, well done to your grandson. Its nice to see someone teaching the younger generations the value of outdoor activities, hunting to provide for your family and the importance of handling a firearm correctly. Well done mategood.gif

Mike

damn... what a shot..

i'm sure you're proud good.gif

So far I know it regulates the population of deer and you are right, you spend time with your grandson, it`s just like going fishing. My grandpa went with me in the mountains, tune my sense for nature and train the endurance. All animals I have ever killed were some small rabits on the street and some other stuff on the highway! My car is faster than a bullet... but damn try to clean it :grin:

And no, it`s not my hobby, just happen and try to avoid an animal with 230kph on the road.... bad idea...

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Nice Shooting!!

Congratulations!!

Well done,Granddad,for keeping traditions alive!!

My Grandfather loved to fish,so we went fishing.

He had a cabin in Canada(My Dad's now). Good lake trout and northern pike fishing.

I learned to hunt from my Dad. Bird(Pheasant and Quail) hunting mostly.

It teaches great responsibility and respect for firearms and other people's property.

Anyone who thinks it's easy,just go out and try it.

You will spend many backbreaking hours out walking the woods

just to come up empty-handed.

Thanks for bringing back some GREAT memories.

Congrats to you and your grandson, Dagger.

And JediMaster, We do "hunt" for big game fish...as we often travel up to 120 nm offshore, seeking all the biological signs that game fish are present in the area, before we put any lines in the water.

Here...fishie fishie fishie:

Edited by Fubar512

@ :lol: JM Deering!!!!!! That's funny.

Congrats to your grandson, time well spent. Now when we eatin'?

Dagger, congrats to you and your grandson! Hopefully you'll be able to spend more time together, and he'll learn to appreciate and respect nature, and firearms.

So far I know it regulates the population of deer and you are right, you spend time with your grandson, it`s just like going fishing. My grandpa went with me in the mountains, tune my sense for nature and train the endurance. All animals I have ever killed were some small rabits on the street and some other stuff on the highway! My car is faster than a bullet... but damn try to clean it :grin:

And no, it`s not my hobby, just happen and try to avoid an animal with 230kph on the road.... bad idea...

WHERE do you drive at 230kph?

Good job to the young guy dagger!!!!! i wish my boy showed any interest in hunting... but he does like fishing!!!! or sorry i ment hunting fish

Edited by Caveman

Come on, tell me those shows with the bass fishers wouldn't get better ratings if they called it "Bass Hunters!"