Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT What Job do you do?

Following on from OvS's post about our resident Explorer..I thought I would ask what other forum users do / did as a job or Career?

Ok, me first I guess..... Well I run an IT Support Business, for Home Users and Small Business's, and also co-run an ID / Name Badge supply company, which provides Metal Name Badges (such as you see in Shops) as well as Photo ID Cards and accessories.

Have been self-employed now for six years, as I have a proven track record of dislike for 'Bosses' of any description... I pushed my last one into a skip!...and consequently lost that particular Job!...and so now consider myself totally unemployable! :grin:

Banker.

I wish I had the knack to run my own business.

Would love to do it but don't have the guts and have no idea on what to do in the first place.

IT support for home and small businesses (self-employed) and make custom parts for a particular model of air-rifle (a small side-line that brings in a bit of extra cash). I also do the occasional website.

Nice thread!  I work at Frankfurt Airport for a security company. But still I have nothing to do with security!! :-)  It´s a nice job that brings me in contact with thousands of people everyday. Although this isn´t always good!   I worked as a graphic artist for 6-7 years in the past. From all this, only the love to photography still remains.

itifonhom.

Full-time grad student at the moment, working on an MA so I can get a PhD and become a professor of History. I specialize in the World Wars, Modern Germany, and yes, surprisingly enough, German aviation. :)

For the last decade I have been selling and servicing ambulances and rescue vehicles and providing related training in the upper midwestern United States, in a territory roughly 1,000 miles square, (Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and a bit of upper Nebraska). Needless to say I travel a bit. Before this I've had various jobs that included: custom coach builder; custom woodwork shop foreman; R&D man for a toy factory; mechanic; auto body repairman; hardware store sales person, ("Will you be needing drop cloths and brushes to go with that gallon of paint M'am?"); caddy, ("I recommend a #2 wood for this shot Sir, and keep to the left side of the fairway."); and four years as a cold war warrior in the US Air Force back in the 1970's. Oh, I'm also a self-proclaimed writer, poet, artist, and musician. I consider myself a sort of idealized version of the complete Renaissance Man. biggrin.gif

BTW, good idea for a thread Widowmaker.

Cheers!

Lou

Left school at 15 1/2 and worked as an apprenticed toolmaker/instrument maker. Completed that at 21 then spent a year working in London before joining the Royal Air Force. Spent 27 years there and de-mobbed in 1996, since when I've been employed as a technical writer for military aircraft, workin as team leader for a major UK based manufacturer.

I created and run the 'Tally-Ho' web site for European Air War users as well as skin on the OBD team.

I'm tall, slim and posses a great sense of humor and I believe there should be peace throughout the world and ------------- oops, wrong venue :lol:

I've been working, in the last 20 years, in computer repair shops. Now I'm the owner of a little computer shop.

My work, besides the administrative part of the business, is to sell, repair computers and give technical support assistance when required.

I work mainly with home users and (less) with small business's.

It's not the professional career that I've dreamed. But that's life...

I used to work in admin... but retired at 28 and dropped out to become an art student! Studying for my BA at the moment.

I also work as a freelance illustrator working to commision.

I was tempted to start a thread similar to this about a week ago - bah! pipped at the post!

I worked for more years than my scarred psyche would care to admit as an IT support person, then developer, then analyst, then project manager. after 911, I was made redundant from my dream job (due directly to a fall off in business after said event), and then had to endure a succession of crap programming jobs which culminated in 2005 in my walking out, with no job to go to - yessiree, IT is such fun when you work with a bunch af anally retentive racists and xenophobes...

Any road up: my dear wife persuaded me to take a PGCE in further and higher education (that's a teaching/lecturing certificate), which turned out to be a fabulously rewarding time. After that, because there's apparently little or no demand for IT lecturers (!!), I sloughed my way into a temporary job with a local council doing administrative work in the local Children's Services department - a real hothouse: when social workers get it right, you never hear about it; when they get it wrong - which is pretty rare - you never hear the end of it. Anyway, after a year or so, a temporary job at a different council came up doing the IT for the library service. I got it and in April this year, on the week of my birthday, they made me permanent. So that's where I am now. It's brilliantly rewarding and varied work that gets me meeting plenty of bright people and mixing with the hoi polloi.

There: that's more than you'll ever need to know about me, other than the fact I'm a dreadful cyberpilot...

Retired about 9 years ago, but still working some part time at a fisheries station nearby as night watchman. The job lasts about 6 weeks. For additional income and as a hobby, I make fish decoys (carvings) of fish that are used for spearfishing, but mostly as a collectible. One can do a search on ebay for fish decoy and see a wide variety of this. I also do a little work as baliff at the local courthouse.

My main career was when I worked for the State of Minnesota as a forester and then transferred into law enforcement. For 25 years I was a conservation officer (game warden) and loved the job, but retired early.

Back in the seventies, it was possible, when you had no A-levels but O-levels (always was a dreamer,

dreaming himself away from school, with the result of bad notes in mathematics, chemistry and French),

that you could enter the highschool of arts with O-levels plus a related profession learnt.

So I learnt typographer (and a lot about being imprisoned in a company for 8 hours a day) for three years.

Then followed my army time, which I managed to reduce to twelve month, to get to the art school in time.

(To achieve that, I must have pencil drawn all the relatives of my Oberfeldwebel, who in exchange signed

that request positively - Lol!).

After the four years at the highschool of arts in Berlin, I first jobbed for an exhibition designer; then worked

mostly as a signwriter rather. I always found it hard to convince people for the graphic designs they should

have used - they changed it so much to the worse quite often, that I was fed up with that job.

In the nineties, I started an own signwrite company (with only me in it doing all the work), and worked

for two major companies in Berlin mainly, plus smaller customers. My best jobs where airbrush works for

Mercedes Benz (vans for exhibitions), and a big furniture dealer.

After a first "gold rush" with the opening of the wall - many new companies got founded - the banks stopped

to give credits for them in 1996, my major customer had to give up 1998, and the other paid less and less;

the situation here got pretty bad, and I finally collapsed - burn out. I don't have the nerves to run a large business,

and now I have cut it back to Graphic Design, which I can do from my home, and occasional sign and car writings;

plus working as a graphic freelance for a printer.

I'am a fighter pilot in the RAF at the moment flying Typhoon Euro figther's ( i wish)

When i wake up,my other job is working for Toyota uk in logistics.

I'am a fighter pilot in the RAF at the moment flying Typhoon Euro figther's ( i wish)

When i wake up,my other job is working for Toyota uk in logistics.

pretty much the same job isn't it RD?

I'm a building designer working in a call centre.

no.gif Wanted to be a Hippie,but was drafted in the late 60 s Stayed a few years in the U.S. Army and traveled because I didnt have anything to do. Got out, Married, Finished school, Worked out on the Freeways as part of a Roadgang Retired . Guess, they wont make a movie of my life hun?bye.gif

Just another lame Computer Geek here working for Her Majesty's favorite airline based at JFK. I originally was an Engineer based at EWR (Newark, NJ... cesspool of the United States), but I had had enough of the Commercial Airline Maintenance business. So I took a transfer back to JFK, and swapped departments.

It's boring... period. Other than that, OFF is my 2nd job and that's a lot of fun. My 3rd job, well really my 1st job, is being a Dad as I am the Cook, the Caretaker, the Dean (I have no paitence for teaching), Coach, Music Teacher, Judge, etc.. etc.. etc.. and I love it.

My other other job is to support the local economy in Mt. Washington, Kentucky as I buy more and more parts for my other other other job which is restoring my 66 Nova Wagon. drinks.gif

OvS

It's interesting how many artist we have in our midst. I wonder about the interest in flight sims by artists.

I am a Graphic Artist myself with a BA in Fine Arts so I can appreciate objects and illustrations that are pleasing to the eye. I am also an Air Force Brat of 21 years as my Father was in the USAF for 35 years so I was introduced to airplanes at an early age. My earliest memory of planes were of P-80 Shooting Stars flying around base. So naturally I can appreciate aircraft from a sculptural point of view and with WW1 and WW2 aircraft the individual paint schemes are to me works of art. Especially German aircraft.

Run a small "bakery"....but dont bake anymore...all i make is the cookie dough,,and sell it wholesale and retail...one man operation

Its the Original Toll house ..my dad used to own the Toll House Restaurant (where the Toll House Cookie was invented)...

This is where the gaming computer is,,,and aside from my trackir,,joystick and othere essentials...a common setup is a 35 pail of peanut butter on my left,,30lbs of raisons on my right,,,and depending on my mood,,,a case of eithe white chocolate chips,,,butterscotch chips,,,chunky chocolate chips,,,or the run of the mill chocolate morsals...

so if im muffled on teamspeak,,its probably cause i got my mouth full...

Run a small "bakery"....but dont bake anymore...all i make is the cookie dough,,and sell it wholesale and retail...one man operation

Its the Original Toll house ..my dad used to own the Toll House Restaurant (where the Toll House Cookie was invented)...

This is where the gaming computer is,,,and aside from my trackir,,joystick and othere essentials...a common setup is a 35 pail of peanut butter on my left,,30lbs of raisons on my right,,,and depending on my mood,,,a case of eithe white chocolate chips,,,butterscotch chips,,,chunky chocolate chips,,,or the run of the mill chocolate morsals...

grin.gif MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm Chocolate.this.gif

Brothel manager, awaiting my first assignment....grin.gif

Duck, I can always tell on TS when you are dipping into the ingredients! kudos.gif This is me jealous!

Edited by Axgrinder

I a software programmer and later a software manager on the FAA software and later the Space Shuttle software.

I am now a C++ application programmer on BOBII freeware for the last 5 years.

OvS, we expect to see a picture of that 66 Nova Waggon, Sir.

Shredward, from your job, we also expect pictures! :cool:

I'm a surgeon's assistant. I help the surgeon in everything he or she needs during the operation, so I'm basically a surgical nurse. An interesting job most of the time (and rewarding too, though not necessarily monetarily compared to the surgeons' huge wages), but also stressful and demanding.

I was always a too lazy and unruly student to become a doctor myself, though sometimes I wonder how much more wealthier I'd be if I had become one. But at least we don't have the same kind of responsibility the surgeon has - if something goes wrong, he gets most of the blame. :grin:

Sending out samples for Christmas? Thanksgiving? My grandfather was a baker after his stint at farming which didn't turn out . But he could make a heck of a French donut, I think they are called