Sign in to follow this  
Lt. James Cater

Other Games You Really Got Into

I was looking at my WO* screenshot collection and thought about other games that i seriously got into.

My introduction to online play was Mechwarrior4 Mercenaries. I was completely obsessed by it and spent a lot of time in combat.

My screen name was first used there and i'm still a member at MEKTEK, even if i have been inactive for a long time.

post-18150-12624593172411.jpg

post-18150-12624593456229.jpg

Solitare mech. 25 ton Assault/Heavy mech killer. Cross tech with a vengeance and all set to ruin someone's day! My favorite mech and all time personal high points scoring ride.

Rome Total War, especially the Barbarian Invasion expansion also made for long hours involvement. As of this moment i still have a campaign saved that i think about every few days. Perhaps soon i'll spendt the time to take it to it's conclusion.

So let's hear yours!

Edited by Lt. James Cater

i never seriously got into games but there were some that was my favorite

Right now i still have Navy Field MMOTS and i had it since beta which is i think about 5-6 years ago

Also i have Operation Flashpoint 1, which was released in US on 2001 and i still play it with friends i met online. Though we use hamachi to play our favortie mods FFUR 2008, which made it realistic as Armed Assault 1

Then second would be is Rome Total war with Roma Serrectum mod. And now that Roma Serrectum II is coming up soon, i would never probably stop playing it.

And i have two mmorpg that i really got into which is Pristone Tale and MU online. I probably got my MU online character to lvl 135 before they my 1 month trial ended.

Pristone Tale was my First MMORPG I played so it is natural for me to get into it.

Flashpoint frustrated me too much to be glued to it. Same with Arma.

I'm still stuck to rome total war. I have medieval 2 and empire, but I'm just not through with Rome yet.

Mechwarrior is an on again, off again addiction. CFS3 keeps me addicted for long periods as well, if only you didn't have to make a whole new aircraft for a skin it'd be WW2 heaven. Titan Quest is another one, just like diablo, but with havoc physics and modern graphics.

haha why was Flashpoint 1 frustrating??

the only thing that i hated in Flashpoint is how long you wait in multiplayer server for a game to start or how long you wait in the lobby for the game mission to end. Also how the AI move stupidly but still godly accurate. Thats the reason i play with FFUR mod, it makes the AI smarter but shoot realistic(not always accurate)

Total War series (especially stock M2TW and M2TW:Crusaders)

War in the Pacific

Aces High 2

Falcon 4.0 (specifically Freefalcon 4/5)

It's exactly that godly accuracy that was impossibly frustrating. Other than Arma or the original ghost recon, in what game can the AI perfectly lead a shot when you're moving and account for gravity perfectly over 300m, take a single shot and get a kill, with iron sights on an automatic rifle? Not even the most experienced Navy SEAL could do that. What makes anyone think every private cannon-fodderski of the red army can do it? Magic sniper tailgunners in flight sims aren't even that good.

What and where's this FFUR mod?

I too was really into MW4 I was an original pen and paper Battletech player.I was and still am borderline obsesed with the Star Fleet command series of games.

I was into Rome:Total war for a long while and ended up buying all of the total war series except empire. I still think Rome is the best of them however. Im currently in to Arma 2 and am enjoying the various mods and user made missions available for it.

Mike

Still enjoying Fallout 3 GOTY, slightly edited.

Hours of fun, free roaming the wastes.

I have gone back to X3 TC started afresh and damn is it great fun... Getting lost all over again its an amazing game and the graphics are fantastic to say the least wuth the ability to fly small fighters all the way up to Capital Ships and staging marine raiding parties to steal other ships... trading with an intutive trading engine... and even though I have played it before I am finding whole new stuff to play with...

As a big Wing Cmdr and X Wing/TIE Fighter fan (I even liked WC Prophecy, despite its lack of all the characters we really liked), I tried hard to get into X3. I got the feeling I was in a big sandbox but I had no idea where to go. I spent a couple of hours with it and finally gave up.

Unless X3 TC provided more of a "tutorial" beginning than the original X3 did, I get the feeling it's one of those games that are fun if you know it but if you don't the barrier to entry is too high for casual players. Like Falcon 4 was...only reason I still fly F4 is after 11 years of flying it I just KNOW it. :grin:

Oblivion. I spent many hours with that one. Now I'm playing it with my 6 year old Grandson.

I totally got into Flashpoint as well, started off with the Gold edition, bought the czech edition of Resistance and bought the GOTY edition as well... it is probably the game which I most like from all I've played so far in terms of it being just the way I want it - because it can be whatever you want it to be, thanks to the endless modding possibilities. I still prefer it over ArmA - and I didn't even get ArmA 2 due to the former's disappointment...

Behind me admittedly lies far too much time of Counterstrike (5 years from beta 5 to 1.5, Steam stopped me since my computer failed to like it although I had 100% legal software so I hate Valve ever since), but now that my first white hairs are showing I play less FPS (though I've kept on-track with RTCW, Far Cry and ETQW, the latter one still is on my HD along with CoD: UO). Lately though I've been more committed to MMORPGs though, Anarchy Online being my main drug, after a stint in Project Entropia, and I've reluctantly joined WoW, but I don't plan on spending much time there since it's expensive (I'm a fr00b in AO though I indulged into some luxuries).

In terms of simming I remember getting up a 6AM on saturdays and sundays just to play Aces over the Pacific and later Aces over Europe on my dad's PC before I had my own. When I then got my hands on my very own 286, which was slower than my dad's PC, I got more into F-19 and A-10. Later on, Jane's Anthology satisfied my aviation wishes - and if there's one sim I'm sorry I've never played was Jane's WWII Fighters. With regards to meching, I played the MW2 demo, but waited until MW2 Mercenaries to really start stomping around in heavy tonnage. After that came Heavy Gear and finally MW3 Gold. Didn't like MW4 due to it's restrictiveness, though I'm definitely looking forward to AT1:BT and Mechwarrior 3015...

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

For me its the Janes Series. Fighters Anthology was the Best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was into heavily in Wing Commander, MW series and Heavy Gear. Also I was a Wolf3d fanatic, I played it a lot that I memorized the paths to the keys LOL. But Heavy Gear was cool, I loved making variants of Mechs. From fast, heavy armed scouts to Heavy armed and armored Mech killers.

Falcon

Wing Commander big time - as mentioned in the WC vs XW thread, WC is my favorite series of all time.

I played, and "enjoyed" QuakeWarrior (sorry "Mech Warrior 4"), but it was mainly just because I was playing online with some friends and that's what they had and played. The last, and best true Mech Warrior game was MW3. And that kicked all kinds of major ass. Although, the original MW was great too, as was MW2, MW2 Ghost Bear, and MW2 Mercs.

The FMV era remains my favorite overall for games, and has a slew of games I still play again and again - 7th Guest, 11th Hour, Under a Killing Moon, The Overseer, The Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within, Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh, Shivers 2, Ripper, of course this was when Wing Commander 3 came out too.

Gotta love Space Quest! grin.gif (the whole series)

Also, Max Payne, The Labrynth, Ringworld, and Orbiter, and the one game I've played more than any other, ever.... (and for it to be more than Wing Commander is something serious) - IL2, from the demo to FB, to AEP, to '46, and all the patches in between.

Some cool trailers for those who might not have heard of those cool old games. :)

Under a Killing Moon -

(do bear in mind it's a 1994 game, but I don't know why the video there is that choppy, it's never been that choppy for me when playing it)

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4-D0nHfKqo

The 7th Guest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUvqkdtXMPY (1993)

Phantasmagoria 2 -

cool.gif

7th Guest...that reminds me of the time I spent playing Myst and its sequels, up until Riven I think. At that point I walked away from the series and that style of game and never went back.

Heh, 7th guest. I HATED THAT GAME... The puzzles drove me insane LOL. My mother bought that hellish game for me as a gift. LOL!

Heh, 7th guest. I HATED THAT GAME... The puzzles drove me insane LOL. My mother bought that hellish game for me as a gift. LOL!

grin.gif

I loved the puzzles and the story, and the music and the feel. Speaking of the music, it was done by "The Fatman", who also did music for Wing Commander, a score I also love. (god, hearing it in my head as I type this, and it's causing swelling nostalgia and Confed patriotism hehe )

The good part about 7th Guest from a modern perspective is that none of the puzzles were against the computer. The 11th Hour has this one othello like game and because it's written to use the computer as an opponent, but 486s and Gen 1 Pentiums, running it on a P4 3.2 results in an impossible opponent, and there is no cheat code or walkthrough to help get you past it. grrr.....

I loved Yeager's Air Combat. Same with the early Jetfighter series. Had Janes F-117 too. And Strike Commander. But what really got to me was Ghost Recon. My FPS squad has over 2000 matches on one ladder alone. We used to play every night and sometimes we'd have 18 of our own in our 35 man server. Never played with less than 10 of my guys online.

Was into heavily in Wing Commander, MW series and Heavy Gear. Also I was a Wolf3d fanatic, I played it a lot that I memorized the paths to the keys LOL. But Heavy Gear was cool, I loved making variants of Mechs. From fast, heavy armed scouts to Heavy armed and armored Mech killers.

Falcon

My first MP experience was with Heavy Gear, I was invited to the join the XDC on Mplague(MPlayer for those not familar with it).We were cocky and always looking for a fight, but I have to say we were good!

Flashpoint, and Falcon, I am currently using Falcon AF and really enjoying it.

Edited by Dagger

What really got me addicted to PC games in the first place was 'Quake II'. The graphics may be archaic grandpa.gif by todays standards but I still get an adrenaline kick out of it every time I play it on my old desktop in the spare bedroom. Along with Call of Duty I of course