Sign in to follow this  
Stick

Operation Desert Storm

Which were the 6 carriers used?

for this kind of topics, we have the general military sub-forum. And there is a great tool for this kind of questions.

It´s called google! :lol:

for this kind of topics, we have the general military sub-forum. And there is a great tool for this kind of questions.

It´s called google! :lol:

Tried it man-got the vaguest so I thought I'd level with you'll...found it though

Edited by Stick

Persian Gulf U.S.S. Midway, U.S.S. Ranger, U.S.S. John F. Kennedy. Red Sea U.S.S. Saratoga, U.S.S. America, U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt.

Thank you sir.

Well donr crazy horse...im very very proud of ya for answering that for mr stick..see i had a rant about this not long ago,,when people on a forum for the same interest,instead of answering a question and helping out,they spend longer giving a comment telling you to go do it yourself..whats the point,really...it happend alot in Free Falcon forum where any question was answerd with either read the manual or go google it or you tube it....thank god in the real world,in the midst of war when something goes wrong,the guy n girls next to you dont say google it,or spend longer telling you your in wrong place and sort ya own problem..guess some people..(like me).lol...just like the site of there own name on a shiney new thread with nothing real to say...rant ova ..lol.

again well done crazy horse..and im glad you got your answer stick xx

xx V xx

The defense rests its case.grin.gif

As a side note, of those 6 only 1 is still in service, the Nimitz-Class TR. The other 5 were all conventional-power and are gone.

flippin ell nearly 20 years ago - whod have thought - still think of it as being very recent!

As a side note, of those 6 only 1 is still in service, the Nimitz-Class TR. The other 5 were all conventional-power and are gone.

I have have pics of 3 of those sitting at Bremerton Naval Yard in decom status take Apr of last year. I will find them and post them. I took alot of pictures that day.

Anyone know which (if any) are going to be scrapped and which will be preserved?

To be honest I can't imagine how they would manage to preserve one of those supercarriers anyway. (not to mention a CVN like the Enterprise, which is the next carrier to leave the fleet) I rather see a few more Sink-EXes coming for those decommissioned CVs. The Ex-America has already suffered that fate.

Edited by Gocad

To be honest I can't imagine how they would manage to preserve one of those supercarriers anyway. (not to mention a CVN like the Enterprise, which is the next carrier to leave the fleet) I rather see a few more Sink-EXes coming for those decommissioned CVs. The Ex-America has already suffered that fate.

The Midway is already a museum ship in San Diego, the Ranger is likely to become one ("Hold on donation as memorial and museum ship"), the Saratoga may also be preserved (according to the Wikipedia article providing some sources, there is a foundraising campaign to achieve this fate of the ship), and last but not least, the Kennedy is too on "donation hold as museum and memorial"...

I think that the America SINKEX will remain the lone SINKEX involving a supercarrier, the others (with the exception of the Forrestal and 2 Kitty Hawks) are either already preserved or contaminated with nuclear materials, making a disposal under the ship/submarine recycling program compulsory. The conventional ones won't be sunk as I believe that the prices for scrap steel and other metals will remain on a stable and high level.

Greets, Uhu

Here are the pics I took. The CV-63 (USS Kittky Hawk) you see was a 4th ship but on the other side of the Naval Yard in inactive reserve status.

The 3 ship were the USS Constellation (CV-64), USS Independence (CV-62) and the USS Ranger (CV-61)

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

IS there any non nuclear carrier still in service with the US NAVY

No. The last was the Kitty Hawk IIRC, which is why as Dave mentioned it's in inactive reserve status and none of the others are. In case of some emergency it is available to be sent back out, for now. You'll notice in the pics of 63 it has all its antennas and domes while the others are missing theirs.

The Big E is now the oldest carrier in service, as well as the most expensive to run. It's due to be replaced in 2012 I think? As mentioned, though, it's a nuclear carrier so preserving it will take more work. However, as the first CVN (and the only one of its class), I think it will be. If nothing else, the Star Trek fans will see to it. :wink: For the record, though, the carrier called "Enterprise" in Star Trek 4 was actually Ranger.

IS there any non nuclear carrier still in service with the US NAVY

I'm thinking of it... There is no conventional CATOBAR carrier still in service, but there are still the Tarawa and Wasp classes of STOVL carriers in service, powered by geared steam turbines or, in case of the USS Makin Island, by gas turbines.

Greets, Uhu

Just looked at this thread - sorry for the lateness of this, but the carrier line up for desert storm needs to be corrected.

Persian Gulf - night one (17 Jan 91) - USS Midway (CV-41) with Carrier Air Wing 5 (CVW-5) embarked, USS Ranger (CV-61) with Carrier Air Wing 2 (CVW-2) embarked. USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) with Carrier Air Wing 8 (CVW-8) embarked had just transited the Straits of Bab-El-Mandeb (going from the Red Sea into the Gulf of Aden at high speed - 30 kts). TR (Roosevelt) transited the Straits of Hormuz on the night of 19 Jan, and began flying on 20 Jan.

Red Sea - USS Saratoga (CV-60) with Carrier Air Wing 17 (CVW-17) embarked, USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) with Carrier Air Wing 3 (CVW-3) embarked and USS America (CV-66) with Carrier Air Wing 1 (CVW-1) embarked.

USS America left the Red Sea after 2 weeks and repositioned to the Persian Gulf for the remainder of the war.

Night one missions were flown by Air Wings from Midway and Ranger in the gulf and Saratoga and JFK in the Red Sea. Air Wing 2 from America began flying the second day, and Air Wing 8 fromTR on the fourth day.

• Like 1