Sign in to follow this  
Bandy

For those addicted to WWI sims

Still no decent campaign I suppose on this arcade game?????

No Dutch,

I'm afraid it will be the same old poop in a different bag!:grin:

Cheers,

shredward

I appreciate it Bandy (as I'm sure 'most' people here do.

The catalyst comes whenever that dreaded word 'ROF' is mentioned...it appears to be a red rag to a bull around here!

Sorry about that fellas- I only mentioned it, not to denigrate ROF, but to emphasize the wonderful scenery of OFF .

Now someone is teasing us more by saying, in effect, "we ain't seen nothing yet"

Bring it on!!

It's unfortunate that talking about different WW1 sims so often leads to heated arguments and even serious flame wars. I for one am happy that now, for the first time in years, we actually have several WW1 sims to choose from. And all of these sims have something that they do better than their competitors. In an ideal world, all those good qualities could be combined to create the ultimate WW1 flying sim.

But this genre sure as hell ain't big enough to warrant the constant bloody fighting between supporters of different sims. It's almost a miracle that somebody even bothers to make such sims these days, it's not like it's a good business compared to mainstream gaming. A little bit of open-mindedness is all that's required from all of us. :cool:

Amen to that, Hasse Wind. People who take the time to make a WW1 air combat sim,

can't be really bad.

Shred, I think Dutch meant one of the other sims - RoF or FE.

He can't have meant OFF - were else is more of a campaign than here?

I think he said that with tongue in cheek, having a little fun with us. :tease:

And yes, for P4, you can expect the same old predictable campaigns in this tired arcade sim.

shred

Team OBD does abuse us terribly. So okay, same ol' crap in a new bag. How many bags of crap does it take to fill a bathtub? Thanks Shred and all for the sentiments shared on this page.

Whatever the WWI sim name are we not brothers from a different mother? Well when you have a number of choices among a number of people... I'm just saying it's a good thing we didn't all pursue that one AAA+ woman of our dreams and it's the same dream. All those other girls watching as we make fools of ourselves. Bad analogy, Again, I ramble... no I'm not drinking. :drinks:

Anyway, regarding OFF scenery and for those who feel its currently good - just wait until you see what Winder has up his sleeve clapping.gif

Now we really get curious about the progress ...ohmy.gif

Last night i went out only for one beer but I soon realized that after lost of RUM I was fiddling with my Blackberry phone connecting to the Internet to see whats happening on this FORUM.

This can only mean one thing....

addiction.

to everybody involved have a great day.

Cheers

m

drinks.gif

Amen to that, Hasse Wind. People who take the time to make a WW1 air combat sim,

can't be really bad.

Olham Yep I mean that shooter arcade game: FirstEagles,  with that funny rubber boat sound, my children like that!! So my retry: Still no decent campaign mode I suppose????

BTW Shred you seems to be little irritating on my reply, did I something wrong or did I read it wrong here.  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

I can't speak for Shred but I thought he got it all along. As for my "how many bags to fill a bathtub" I was inferring that if OFF Campaign is crap I'ld like to take a bath in it. I think everything is cool Dutch but Shred can speak for himself.

Olham Yep I mean that shooter arcade game: FirstEagles,  with that funny rubber boat sound, my children like that!! So my retry: Still no decent campaign mode I suppose????

I'm not sure whether to dignify this with a critical response or not.

Dutch, if you have not taken the time to mod a First Eagles install with 3rd party content like Peter01's flight models,various sound mods, and the most aircraft available in any WWI sim (yes, somebody added it up and FE exceeds the Red Baron days...) then you don't know what you're talking about. The 3rd party AI in FE will make you cry, and when you see your wingmates go down in flames, they are really gone, they don't show up like JC on the roster next mission.

TK makes his sims to be easily modded and they have inspired numerous communities of great friendly people. Anyone can go under the hood, mod, and have it just the way they like it served up if they are willing to take a bit of time. Being able to fly over terrain that you, personally, just polished up in Photoshop to your liking is an amazing feeling. If you don't like the stock proploop sound, then change it, or are you incapable of simple file swapping?

FE is not an arcade shooter any more than OFF is.

Ok its going to that point!!!!! First of all I'm more a less a collector of WW1 flysims, I'm a WW1 flysim fan.

I got FE direct after its release date and it is the same as with the WoW flysim, I did not like this type of game then, maybe things are changed now. That why I have asked is the FE campaign mode improved. Because I am more a campaign mode gamer, not on-line anymore btw, one thing that I like about this great OFF3 game is this splendid campaign mode  :clapping: .  For this FE was at the start not that much good mods available, so like WoW [=the flysim] I did the installation, played a couple of times and noticed that this games were not my cup of tea,  I did had the feeling these games was more a arcade design. After the FE mods went on to be better, I was already to the OFF scene, ok I did a try after I find out about the mods, but for me sorry FE it was OFF as the main game   :yes: .  

BTW I'm capable in swapping files, sorry but I'm not a idiot 

Edited by Dutch_P47M

My 2 cents worth, as I play both games, FE modded to max and OFF.

Terrain, campaign, immersion factor better in OFF.

Flight models, AI better in FE.

Conclusion: if one likes campaigns, and a feeling of involvement in one's airforce, OFF would be better.

For intense dogfighting, FE is better. One should have both, as both sims are fully deserving of our support. I think RoF should be given a chance too, it's new and the developers seem to be listening-let's not forget we are a rare bunch of anoraks, and should be thankful we have so much choice for what is very much a minority taste.

BTW Shred you seems to be little irritating on my reply, did I something wrong or did I read it wrong here.

Not at all Dutch, it's all fun.

Cheers,

shredward

I'm one of those WWI FSim "bouncers". I find myself bouncing from OFF to ROF to FE2. I'm thankful I have all three to play. I purchased both the latest OFF and ROF when they were published and recently upgraded from FEGOLD to FE2. My thoughts and experiences on all three:

OFF: OK, its' my favorite. Unequaled in depth and features and authenticity. I takes quite a bit of tweaking and experimentation to get the best from it (my PC: Vista 32-bit, ATI 4850gc and Intel 3.16ghz chip). Once you get the game setup its' wonderful. I'm still not crazy about the CFS3 engine , but what the OFF guys have done with it is simply amazing.

ROF: Unequaled graphics (better than any FSim I own and I have 14). Complicated setup. Lousy campaign, but the community has responded by creating some good SP Missions, and the wealth of custom skins are great (including some from the Blue Max movie and Flyboys) not historical, but fun. Keeping the game running well after each and every update is a pain in the ass! Everytime I think I've got my tweaks figured out, I find I don't. On my system I can run Crysis and Company of Heroes maxed, with ROF the cpu is always at 100% and some graphically intense missions look like a slide show. I'm running a duo-core chip (some say ROF is optimized for Quad, but my friend has quad and still has the same problems) also other quad users on the ROF forum say the same thing. It helps somewhat to run Vista in XP Comp Mode for ROF.

ROF has a long way to go, but it IS a game for the future (consider the progression of IL-2 over the years from what it was originally.) The ROF guys need to address the CPU and GC eating nature of the game first and foremost!

FE2: I'm a big fan of ThirdWire Games. As TK admits, they're set up as "lite-sims", nothing more, nothing less. I own three of his Modern Air Combat titles. As the previous poster stated, FE2 is fantastic looking with the new mod-tiles installed. FE2 like all of TK's sims are the easiest to install and get up and running, bar none. He also supports his products and generally listens to his clients. I find the enemy AI to be quite good in FE2 and get "bounced" quite often in various missions in the game. The pyrotechnics in the game are good too.

If you don't think FE2 is challenging then try the "Hard" setting on "Full Realism." I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

So, my point to all of this? The more the merrier, each one of these games bring something unique to the WWI Combat Flight Sim table. We only live once and time is short, and I enjoy all of these games for what they are and what they are not.

"In the Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King."

... So, my point to all of this? The more the merrier, each one of these games bring something unique to the WWI Combat Flight Sim table. We only live once and time is short, and I enjoy all of these games for what they are and what they are not.

Trek, I agree whole-heartedly, and thus the title of my OP, "For those addicted to WWI sims". I don't fly just one, and if that makes me 'unpatriotic' in any particular camp, then that is their loss for not crossing fences.

@ Dutch, I apologize if my post to you was offensive re: file swapping abilities, I certainly and sincerely wasn't implying what you mentioned. I bought FE on THE day it was released as well (I think it was Nov 24, 2006???), found CombatAce a few days later, so this site and that sim have been a favorite with me ever since.

I agree Fe was d@mn rough when released, and I do not blame you for putting it aside, but there wasn't much in the way of alternatives at the time. RB3D would not run on my new system (or would have required too much time/effort) and OFF2 came later for me. I came this close [--] to buying RoF when it was on sale for $20 and regret not doing it b/c I thought FE and OFF were a great 1-2 fix. I've had really intense campaigns in FE, but of course OFF excels at that. In FE I've found you have to fly campaigns in a way to save your wingmates from certain death and see THEIR scores rise, see them become aces more than you, a unique perspective on altruism in a combat sim that just works, at least for me...

I fly them both for different reasons and as time permits, each has strengths and weaknesses. Nothing more nothing less.

On my system I can run Crysis and Company of Heroes maxed, with ROF the cpu is always at 100% and some graphically intense missions look like a slide show. I'm running a duo-core chip (some say ROF is optimized for Quad, but my friend has quad and still has the same problems) also other quad users on the ROF forum say the same thing. It helps somewhat to run Vista in XP Comp Mode for ROF.

ROF has a long way to go, but it IS a game for the future (consider the progression of IL-2 over the years from what it was originally.) The ROF guys need to address the CPU and GC eating nature of the game first and foremost!

Some have noted that poor sound drivers for their Creative SB is the issue here. I have an X-Fi SB card, and have never had these problems. However, others have disabled their SB sound card and used the onboard sound of their MB and had brilliant success with more fps and silky smooth performance because of it.

The Creative SB drivers are poor to say the least.

I'm Running XP 32bit if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

I somebody is facing problems regarding creative drivers, then get the alternatives from KXproject, PAX or Daniel_K. First remove the old drivers, use driver remover from 3dguru and then install the alternative ones. PAX and Danial_K are based on creative drivers, KX is difficult but not based on any creative driver source.

I just picked up FE2. What the heck. For $20 how can you go wrong. And let's face it, every WWI sim that survives is good for the genre. When you support one, you support them all, regardless of which is your favourite.