Sign in to follow this  
Dogzero1

Why have some modders gone to payware?

Dont have a go at me folks, I'm just generally interested in the answer. I have purchased all of TK's sims and downloaded most of the good mods and addons done by the free mod community here but what I want to know is why some modders split away from the free community and sell their mods, cockpits, terrain ,aircraft etc etc. Do they have a big enough market for this? I have absolutely no intention of purchasing an addon, but obviously some people do. Just wondering why some modders give their work freely and others dont.

Thanks

Dogzero1. :salute:

I have absolutely no intention of purchasing an addon

Answer "why" to that question for yourself, and perhaps you will find the answer to your other posted question.

It is their choice and I fully support payware (just not all the douche bags who do it, but that is another story) I have bought many a payware item and have not regretted it.

One reason I do know is that it takes hundreds of man hours to create a plane for example. Some people would like to be compensated for their time. Nothing wrong with that. These guys are artists. Just like a fine painting. I have committed 8 years to this sim and I have kicked around the idea of payware a few times. Time = money to some and I fully support their right sell their items. To answer your question, yes there is a market for payware. Razbam's stuff is a fine example. Diego's O-1E Bird dogs are just fantastic and worth the small price you have to pay for them. The items created by Diego, Kess, Crab_02 for YAP1 was worth every dime.

The problem is that the community has been so used to getting things for free, that they feel insulted at the possibility of having to pay for a mod and that is a terrible mindset. If you do not want to buy it, then fine, but blanket statements saying " I will never buy payware." is unfair. Some of you will spend more on beer tonight then fork a couple bucks on payware. Their is great payware out there and some of you are missing out big time.

CombatAce fully supports payware and its creators.

• Like 3

Both the MicroSoft Flight Simulator and the MS Combat Flight Simulator community have accepted, and have embraced payware, for well over a decade. Hell, some of the payware addons for the MS-series cost more than the host title itself, yet, they do quite well.

Edited by Fubar512

I have nothing against payware as long as it has the same quality or higher than anything stock in the game. That means, über highres textures, functionall cockpit and so on.

I personally have spent quite a bit of money on FS payware, and have no reservations about shelling out for products that are worth the money......especially on quality planes with highly detailed cockpits. Is there a bunch of payware out there that I dont know about for TW games ?? I know about Razbam.....I know about YAP.....anyone have a list?

I personally have spent quite a bit of money on FS payware, and have no reservations about shelling out for products that are worth the money......especially on quality planes with highly detailed cockpits. Is there a bunch of payware out there that I dont know about for TW games ?? I know about Razbam.....I know about YAP.....anyone have a list?

Overkill by Diego and team.

..... but what I want to know is why some modders split away from the free community and sell their mods,

Thanks

Dogzero1. :salute:

Well......I suppose somebody has to be honest and say it, so it might as well be me;

Greed & a general sense of being better than others..........well thats what the opinion was in the early days of payware for the SF series, attitude [tempers ??] seem to have mellowed in recent times tho which can only be for the better.

For me personally a simple thanks is good enough to make me feel good about my stuff.

Seriously folks, dont take my previous post seriously......I was just pulling a few chains, people go payware because they can, they offer excellent value for their products & any funds gained are usually turned into research materiel for future products etc.

Well......I suppose somebody has to be honest and say it, so it might as well be me;

Greed & a general sense of being better than others..........well thats what the opinion was in the early days of payware for the SF series, attitude [tempers ??] seem to have mellowed in recent times tho which can only be for the better.

For me personally a simple thanks is good enough to make me feel good about my stuff.

Thanks for the honest answer Sundowner. Oh and thanks from me for all your hard work too, it is greatly appreciated by us who can't do it. I do remember payware being frowned upon in the early days on many forums like Combatsim, Frugals and SimHQ etc. But if people want to try and make a buck, I'm fine with that also.

I did not say I am against payware or modders asking for something in return for the hard work. I said I wouldn't purchase payware mods etc and thats because I have a family to feed and god willing, a beer on Friday night to celebrate the end of another week at work. :drinks: There is a difference. I have already contributed to the scene in my own special way, I purchased all of TK's work and not downloaded it from some torrent site. Thats good enough for me. In fact I have purchased and still own just about every flight combat sim ever made on computer platforms so I think I have done my bit.

Edited by Dogzero1

Payware or not is a personal choice...buying or selling. Nothing wrong with either choice. Now, just like anything else, there are good dudes and jerks on either side, so you deal with them (or not) on an individual basis.

Personally, I won't make payware, because there is an expectation (and rightly so) of a quality level and customer service.

I hate people, so I keep my stuff freeware so I'm 'free' to tell folks to get bent if they don't like it...

:biggrin:

FC

• Like 2

I hate people, so I keep my stuff freeware so I'm 'free' to tell folks to get bent if they don't like it...

FC

Ok that is freakin' funny.

I said I wouldn't purchase payware mods etc and thats because I have a family to feed and god willing, a beer on Friday night to celebrate the end of another week at work. :drinks: There is a difference.

How does that make you any different than some of the modders out there? I honestly don't see the difference. :this:

FC

Nice... :good:

How does that make you any different than some of the modders out there? I honestly don't see the difference. :this:

You are right in that respect I suppose. Anyway I'll be honest, I have never paid for any mod for any game and thats the way I like it. I currently like to indulge in Richard Burns Rally and I have recently downloaded a totally free uber mod for that and it's damn good. I also download many big mods for my other favourite sim, Silent Hunter 4 and boy, those modders have suppassed themselves too. Some fantastic work and totally free. I am a believer in free software addons and mods to be honest but hey ho, each to their own. But one thing is for sure, those modders who do it for the love of doing it and to give freely to the online communities, I salute you. :salute: You have nearly as much respect from me as those who serve in our Armed Forces.

Overkill by Diego and team.

google brought me nothing.......do you by chance have a link?

google brought me nothing.......do you by chance have a link?

Right here at CombatAce :lol:

There is a link at the top too...

Clipboard02.jpg

If you aren't buying something payware then you are missing out. You just do not know what you are missing and if you can buy a beer, you can buy a payware plane. You might actually like it. :drinks:

On this its probably a mix between enjoying what you do and bringing home the bacon... Some of the Freeware I have for both the Strikefighters series and FSX I would happily have paid for simply because of the time and effort involved by all and to be honest some of the payware I have bought I wished I hadn't because 2 days later I found the same as Freeware and it was a lot better...

If you aren't buying something payware then you are missing out. You just do not know what you are missing and if you can buy a beer, you can buy a payware plane. You might actually like it. :drinks:

Yeah I might be missing out but thats life. I have enough to be doing with WOV Air & Ground Gold and Desert Storm etc etc. Great mods and will take me ages to complete. Thanks.

And again, a big thank you to all those modders who give freely. :drinks::good:

Right here at CombatAce lol.gif

There is a link at the top too...

Thanks for the link

Not the first time I've been called 'captain observant' doh.gif

Both the bird dog and the AH-1 look quite nice, but to be honest, for me TW games are all about going fast....these games do jets better than anybody else, when I wanna fly a Cessna I load up FS and pull out a Carenado.

Are there any other noteable payware jets available for SF?

Sure, look at the Razbam stuff. Specifically, their newest jet creation (the F-102) is compatible with SF2. Just for the cockpit alone I bought that one!

FC