IDFTOMCATF-14A02.jpg

Grumman F-14A Tomcat - No.69 'The Hammers' Squadron, Heyl HaAvir, 1986

• Like 1

Nice Huey shots, dave. My fav helo besides the cobra gunship.

Seawolves doing their thing.....

nice Hueys Dave. cue Paint It Black.....:grin:

Edited by daddyairplanes

RAFNIMRODMR101.jpg

Nimrod - The Mighty Hunter

Coming to a scrapyard near you...

nice Hueys Dave. cue Paint It Black.....:grin:

Oh I cant take credit for the skins. I just put decals on the tail of actual Seawolves birds. Wish we could do more Brown Water Navy stuff.

Nimrod - The Mighty Hunter

Coming to a scrapyard near you...

LOL,,, and our defence minister saying our 'massive' fleet of seven(?) E-3's can do the same maritime recon job. Almost as bad as having carriers without aircraft.... idiots

RAFCUBC101.jpg

Handley-Page Helena C.1 - No.30 Squadron, RAF Air Support Command, 1968

Grumman F-14A Tomcat - No.69 'The Hammers' Squadron, Heyl HaAvir, 1986

Looking nice Spinners! :good: If you need a "blank" one without the roundels for any more projects let me know...

Really starting to fly the Phantom a lot more, particularly the E version. Which is very strange since I hardly use the gun except for practice

SEAD flight coming around.

post-5735-046556000 1296324867.jpg

post-5735-031026000 1296324882.jpg

LOL,,, and our defence minister saying our 'massive' fleet of seven(?) E-3's can do the same maritime recon job. Almost as bad as having carriers without aircraft.... idiots

Coming from an E-3 unit, (back in 2008) yes they are very capable of maritime recon.

Coming from an E-3 unit, back in 2008 yes they are very capable or maritime recon.

Not exactly Dave, the maritime recon mission is more than just looking at a blob on a radar scope. It involves visually identifying unknown contacts and making records of their tracks and bringing along weapons to destroy surface and subsurface targets that are discovered far out to sea. The last time I checked the Sentry had issues seeing submarines and the only weapons it had were M-9's. Thats the entire reason we are buying the P-8 Poseidon and not relying on the E-3's ourselves.

Not exactly Dave, the maritime recon mission is more than just looking at a blob on a radar scope. It involves visually identifying unknown contacts and making records of their tracks and bringing along weapons to destroy surface and subsurface targets that are discovered far out to sea. The last time I checked the Sentry had issues seeing submarines and the only weapons it had were M-9's. Thats the entire reason we are buying the P-8 Poseidon and not relying on the E-3's ourselves.

Notice I said capable but not perfect thus why you are buying the P-8. The E-3 has been upgraded in recent years to be able to accomplish a variety of missions that was once done by other planes. Check the extra bumps and around the fuse. Those house an ESM system for ground, sea and air detection, identification of targets. Of it emits a signal, the E-3 will pick it up. However as you pointed out it doesn't have the ability to engage, that is what Link 16 and Link 22 is for. Also the E-3C has the AN/APY-2 radar or tacking maritime targets since 2002 or 2003 I believe.

Please bare in mind too I am not saying the E-3 can do it better, I am saying it can do the job. The P-8 will fill that role nicely.

Please bare in mind too I am not saying the E-3 can do it better, I am saying it can do the job. The P-8 will fill that role nicely.

IMHO I don't think it can. P-3's (while old) can loiter longer, fly lower and bring a multitude of ordanance to bear.

Yes I work on them and slightly biased, but apples to apples the P-8 can't do it as well as the good old Orion!

Well having sat in an AWACS and witnessed it for myself I know it can do it. But it ain't no Orion, that is the one all others are measured by.

Really starting to fly the Phantom a lot more, particularly the E version. Which is very strange since I hardly use the gun except for practice

as a Phanatic, i say welcome to the dark side, we have cookies:lol: seriously though the amusing thing is the gun and many other additions to the E were to make for a better dogfighter. it then was used most the rest of its years in the USAF as a strike bird, esp after the ARN101 conversions.

at Dave and HrntFxr, so whose piss made it furthest into the wind?:rofl:

Edited by daddyairplanes

as a Phanatic, i say welcome to the dark side, we have cookies:lol: seriously though the amusing thing is the gun and many other additions to the E were to make for a better dogfighter. it then was used most the rest of its years in the USAF as a strike bird, esp after the ARN101 conversions.

at Dave and HrntFxr, so whose piss made it furthest into the wind?:rofl:

:lol: thanks...

But seriously it's not my first time just I'm taking it more seriously but agreed dogfighter it is not...

Waiting for my turn (had SEAD working the area)

Flew the F-14 against an unloaded Super Hornet and maybe I just suck at ACM (which is not my forte) but the Tomcat just can't turn as well so that plane that's smoking is me...

post-5735-073529000 1296337282.jpg

post-5735-061025300 1296337299.jpg

sorry guys,

wasn't dissin' the E3, just our leaders lack of foresight. Stay indoors, everything is fine

*buries head in sand*

I wasn't "pissing" just stating MHO is all. I have a vested interest in the P-3 and P-8 programs. :salute:

from Bucc to Bucc

looks lovely. Ahh the Bucc, the most beautiful/ugly plane if ever there was.

gallery_32885_43_155492.jpggallery_32885_43_165093.jpggallery_32885_43_15409.jpg

Revised work... much more proper.

...Am I a TRAMophile? :blink:

post-2412-043893000 1296373197.jpg

post-2412-041306200 1296373217.jpg

...I don't know. :cool:

SidDogg