A long awaited addition to the sim...

post-2240-012781900 1286761504.jpg

Edited by Dels

Like I said, it would be easy. :good:

Dels

is that Nicholas Cage in the cockpit???

wrench

kevin stein

.....that turret issue......there must be a way to make it fire against ground objects....or we must make hover tanks???

Parts of a whisky distillery, at last !!!:good:

Hou doe,

Derk

Nice! :good:

Hello!

A very great project, your Apache! :good:

However SF2 is it a good flight game for helicopters?

Pierre. :salute:

Edited by Coupi

This is what is lacking in ODS (Desert Storm) :dance2:

Edited by Dedalus

I hope it will be compatible with the SF1 :this:

Edited by Dedalus

well, shoot ... everyone KNOWS helicopters are just a bunch of loose parts flying in VERY close formation!!! :rofl:

wrench

kevin stein

It will be for SF2, but it's always an easy conversion back to SF1.

As for the turret, we'll just have to accept the game limitation for now.

Dels

It will be for SF2, but it's always an easy conversion back to SF1.

As for the turret, we'll just have to accept the game limitation for now.

Dels

Actually, FC and I were talking a while ago about the apache I was building, and we thought of a few ideas for the turret. I can't remember off the top of my head on what the idea was, but I think it would've worked. Get in touch with him, he could probably explain it way better than I could. Also, if you want, I could send you my max file of the apache so you can use it as sort of a reference. However, I'm pretty sure yours will be far superior to what I was going with. I will definitly be keeping my eye on this project. You have a big thumbs up from me :good:

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it if I hit the wall.

The main challenge with this is to keep the poly count low while retaining as much detail as possible. :heat:

I think I remember the technique for the turret now. The turret is setup as an ai turret. However the canon is only attached via a loadout. This way, the turret can automatically select targets, but you can only give the command to fire.

Another idea I had with having the model perform as a helicopter in which the ai can operate as one is to setup two different types of engines. One engine only thrusts the aircraft forward at ground level. The second engine thrust the aircraft upwards. Once the aircraft takes off (and it should be rather quickly when you throttle up to full power) the forward thrusting engine loses all power and the aircraft is now only being powered by the upwards thrusting engine. This should allow the ai to taxi to the runway and be able to take off, fly, and land as a helicopter.

Edited by serverandenforcer

But I guess that it still wouldn't fire at ground targets?

Interesting idea with the engines...

But I guess that it still wouldn't fire at ground targets?

Interesting idea with the engines...

I think it would be able to fire at ground targets. The only reason why AI bombers with turrets don't fire at ground targets is because of distance. They're too high up and the turrets can't aim at the right angle to be able to engage them properly. If I recall correctly, Monty built a model either last year or the year before, very simpilar to the C-130 specter gunship, that could fire at ground targets with the cannons and guns.

In regards to the engines. To make sure that the aircraft has a reasonable level of stability at or near stall speeds during flight, it might be best to setup up four engines (each one at 1/4 of total thrust power), at where the blade tips would be at the front, rear, left and right of the aircraft. That way you won't be having to deal with a balancing act. Although, it might not make much difference either way. Also, to simulate gyro yaw from the tail rotor, you might want to place an engine back there to simulate that kind of movement.

In regards to the optics turret. I would use the same method as the gun turret so that way they can track on to the target. Same with the pilot's heads (which would mean that you would have to build pilots into the model).

One idea I had to get an MFD visual of the target was to have the bullets fired from the cannon to be actually laser or tv guided (which ever one gives you and MFD visual) missiles with no guidance factors. Not sure if that would work though.

Sorry if I'm getting a bit carried away with this. I had big plans on how to simulate things with my apache. :grin:

The turrets do not engage ground targets. Already tried that on the Zeewolf.

Yeah, there is no way to get aircraft turrets track and fire on ground targets. Altitude, speed and distance have nothing to do with it. What Monty did was set up guns that fire sideways via the trigger button - they are not AI controlled.

Yeah, I went through this when I put together the AC-130's. It would be nice to have the pilots/turrets/gun look, aim and shoot like the real thing, but the game won't allow it.

We'll just have to live with a forward firing cannon for now.

Dels

Yeah, I went through this when I put together the AC-130's. It would be nice to have the pilots/turrets/gun look, aim and shoot like the real thing, but the game won't allow it.

We'll just have to live with a forward firing cannon for now.

Dels

Just a thought - What if you set up the cannon as an EO Rocket (like a Maverick) weapon station with an EO weapon that has no model, but does have a sustainer effect that looks like a burst of tracer fire? Then you could fire at anything you could target with the "E" key.

Of course, the turret wouldn't actually move, and the "tracers" would want to accelerate straight out from the chopper and then turn toward the target like an A/G missile instead of head straight toward the target. Maybe that can be worked around by adjusting some of the weapon parameters, though...?

*edit* - just read ALL of serverandenforcer's post and see that this piggybacks off of what he already suggested. Still, might be worth a try, though.

Edited by malibu43