Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Iran-Iraq Terrain

Iran-Iraq Terrain

Iran-Iraq Terrain

- For SF2, Full-4 Merged (or any with access to the Desert cat) -

(Although Perfered Usage is as a Complete Stand-Alone Iran/Iraq War Mod)

This is a complete and total rebuild of the Iran/Iraq terrain from oh, so long ago. The entire map has been retiled, using Polak's Desert Storm set (also with some updates) with the addition of rivers, more farms, cities and an major expansion of the target areas. Simply put, those that have or seen the original probably won't recognize the place!!

Although designed with the 1980-88 War in mind, it can (with EXTENSIVE reworking) be made over for use for any time period, up to and including the Iraqi Invasion of Kuwait/Desert Shield (more in the "Notes" below). While many of the neighboring countries DO have (minimal) targets added, they are set as NEUTRAL, and have 0 value targets, as they are beyond the scope of the main focus of the map -- the Iran/Iraq War. However, the major airports ARE there, also NEUTRAL.

MANY new tiles have been added, updating of some originals (to make them fit and look better), and LOTS of custom TODs for buildings and trees and such. Including ALL new river AND road tiles for all 3 types of terrain (desert, farm, mountain), with all the transitions. While not perfect, given game/terrain engine limitations, these changes make the region look more like it should. Unfortunately, however, some rivers and other terrain features are NOT replicated due to the height field display of the terrain, making it virtually impossible to do so. This is especially true for regions in Iran that are heavily mountainous; or have some other "oddities" due to airfield flattening. Roads may also NOT follow their actual paths.

Other changes are to Runway 2 and Runway 3, that have been retextured to fully paved (no more FOD from dirt!!)

It is also reccomened you have the Pasko's Ground Objects, and Kesselbrut's Vehicles Pak, the GAZ trucks, etc; in short any and all add-on SAMs, AAA, vehicles, ships, and whatnot from any and all other terrain mods. HOWEVER -- make sure said add-on objects are CORRECT for the theatre and timeframe. (SA-2, SA-3 and SA-6 for the big Iraqi SAMs -btw, 2 & 6s are stock items) While NOT all are included, some are. Wherever possible, I've tried to stick with stock, historic items. Several new, "nation specific" items ARE included. Aircraft are NOT.

As to be expected, there are some Easter Eggs. Most are scattered around the map; some are actual historic World Heritage sites.

While this can be used in a SF2 series (any), it is reccomended that it be used in a Stand-Alone Mods Folder dedicated to the Iran/Iraq War only. As it uses desert tile/terrain naming conventions, it points to the Desert.cat. As all tiles and most terrain objects are either stock or included, it should work with any of the stock Cats, =EXCEPTING= SF2:I's IsrealME. Use of that cat is =NOT= reccomended.

It is highly reccomended that you READ this entire document through before installing this mod. If you don't, you're SURE to run into problems. And then, well, you know the drill. You get clowned on. Hard. As usual, the expansive "Notes and Other BS" section for clarifications, elaborations, explainations and general ramblings.

Happy Landings!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

WOOOOT! He made it! clapping.gif

Great work Wrench and thank you very much for all the time you spent on it.

We need a campaign!!!!! Thank you, Wrench. I'm a fan of the old mod for SF1

Edited by ojcar

remember, folks .. that old campaign will absolutely NOT work with this terrain. there's been far too many changes, and it'll go bannanas on you. so until then, just enjoy single missions.

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks Kevin, I was waiting for this from a long time .....

:clapping:

Hello,

... the Tomcat "country"!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Superbe... :good:

Thank you Wrench,

Coupi. :salute:

Kevin!!! thanks for the Terrain! :drinks::clapping:

Now we just have to wait for the war campaign to arrive.

Edited by ace888

I don't know about you guys but I tried to download it 2 times, some minutes before and the size of the rar file was only 145 KB.

it's not a RAR it's a 7z, should be 77,201kb

wrench

kevin stein

It's OK now. I don't know what was the problem before but know download completed succesfully.

Thanks!

probably some security origanization monitoring your internet use :rofl: If you were here in the States, I'd say the CIA!!

(chocolate importers of america)

wrench

kevin stein

(chocolate importers of america)

:good::grin:

By the way, great terrain!

Thanks Michael! It was you that inspired me to add the roads (just wish I'd done a better job on the tile conversion/repaint). Can't wait for you to finish the PG terrain! Several ideas have already been discussed for it's usage! (most centering around "First Air")

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks Wrench! Truly nice terrain, and thanks to everyone involved in this project. :salute:

there may be a HFD/TFD and targets upgrade in the near future.

PauloPanz sent me some very detailed OrBats and maps, so I may be "forced" to add a few more bases west of Basra. It all depends on what (and who) is building the new campaigns for it.

Obvioulsy, some stuff will be impossible to add, due to HFD issues, and the proximity of The Wall (meaning, really nothing further north than Kirkuk or further west than the lake near Najef)

don't even want to think of the Saudi airbases along the Iraqi/Saudi border....

and I did forget the border post/bridge at the Iraqi/Kuwaiti border.

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Wrench,

I'm in the process of installing this....putting ground units in at the moment. I note however a LOT of ship designated as cargo ships with generic nationality. Has the bug about only 4 generic cargo ships been fixed in SF2, or am I right in thinking this may cause CTD problems?

If I'm wrong, sorry to bother you...but thought I'd better ask.

Alan

you won't get ctds ... but you may be attacking the same 'class' of cargo ship over and over and over and over...etc. So, I've not experienced that in any SF2 install (KAW, Iran/Iarg, Indo-Pak, etc)

I never had a problem durning testing

wrench

kevin stein

OK cheers....now I know why I keep getting the DAT japanese cargo barges all the time (damned small targets)!

Alan

Just to yet ANOTHER correction from pureblue --- another spelling error by your's truely

Open up the IR_TYPES.ini, and find this item:

[TargetType094]

Name=factory1

FullName=Factory 1

ModelName=fabrik1.LOD

TargetType=WEAPONS_FACTROY

I"d spelling 'factory' wrong, so copy/paste the section above, or just fix my mis-spelling.

"Another fine product of the Los Angeles Unified Skool System"

thank to PB for catching that!

wrench

kevin stein