Sign in to follow this  
Polovski

* * PHASE 4 WORK IN PROGRESS SCREEN SHOTS! * * FEB 2011! * *

It's that time again, check out the News section on the website

Images show new Se5 variant, Sopwith Snipe, HP O400 and new cockpits and exterior refresh on Sopwith Tripe and twin gun variant!

http://www.overflandersfields.com/

Wow, those cockpits are insanely detailed. I'll be right at home in the new tripehounds. Magnificent work as always gentleman.

Hellshade

I knew it. Great work. EVERYTHING is better.

I can see myself shooting down that pretty little Snipe from behind Mr. Widowmaker.............

Well Done OBD.

Thanks

m

:good:

The Snipe looks effing brilliant!!!....Hahaha...Who'd want to be a Hun?

Thanks, they look absolutely great. Can't wait to take that HP for a bombing mission (and the Gotha too)! :drinks:

stunning...........simply stunning..........basket seat detail, yoke wrapping, cockpit shadows...............outrageous!!! thanks!

Just a heads up I uploaded some much newer shots of the HP and Snipe. Refresh on the gallery page to check for new pics, in Fireefox you may need to clear your cache completely to see the new pics.

Firefox:

Tools, Options, Advanced, Network tab, click "Clear now" which should remove any cached files.

Wow! Great shots, especially those that show the very detailed cockpits! Good hard work! Currently there are some planes in OFF where you can see the legs and hands of the pilot. I hope this will be added to the new cockpits, too? It adds a lot to the immersion factor.

Awesome. The wood testure on the struts of the revamped Tripe is so real I touched my screen and picked up a splinter!

I was wrong earlier. Seeing new screenshots is NOT a good idea. Now it's even harder to wait for P4!!! :grin::crazy:

How common was the 2 gun Sopwith Triplane?

I am a fan of this aircraft (ok,,,all WW1 aircraft) but I never fly this variant as my impression is it did not see a lot service being quickly, if not immediately, replaced by the Sopwith Camel though I will admit to not having numbers.

How many actually saw front line service?

Wow, simply stunning. How on earth are you guys doing this with the CFS3 engine!? I'm floored that you can get the kind of fidelity, lighting, and detail with a graphics engine from what, 2003?

You've done it again - but we've never doubted you for a second! Cheers guys and really, job well done, I can't wait to take P4 up for a spin. In the meantime, I'm going to rack up a few hundred more hours in HiTR!

Glorious! Oh so good. I find the new terrain texture to look very life-like. You devs are working extremely hard and I thank you. I can only imagine the skins and the missions to go along with the new aircraft and terrain/details. I ask for a blessing on your efforts and the grace for us Offers to have the perseverence to be patient and not drive you mad before P4 is finished. It is so very nice to have you respond with some new screenies. Best wishes!

How common was the 2 gun Sopwith Triplane?

I am a fan of this aircraft (ok,,,all WW1 aircraft) but I never fly this variant as my impression is it did not see a lot service being quickly, if not immediately, replaced by the Sopwith Camel though I will admit to not having numbers.

How many actually saw front line service?

In total there were six twin-gun Triplanes manufactured by sub-contractors Clayton & Shuttleworth (N533-538), three by Oakley (N5910-5912), and one ‘special’ (N5445) aircraft by the parent company, Sopwith. This one had a twin gun installation under a hump (similar to the Sopwith F.1 Camel).

Four of the Clayton & Shuttleworth machines saw combat, 2 airframes (N533 & N536) with Naval 10, 1 machine (N534) with Naval 1, and 1 (N535) with the Manston War School. The Manston machine shot its propeller off. The Naval 1 machine was flown by a couple of their minor aces for some time without result. It was then flown by Roderic Dallas once and he made a claim in it. Of the 2 Naval 10 machines, Raymond Collishaw flew N533 for several weeks suffering gun problems in every flight, then he made two claims on one patrol. It was then flown by William Alexander who hated it. N536 was flown by Nick Carter who also hated it, and it was passed downwards, and fairly soon ended up getting shot down (on 14.8.17 F/S/Lt. Lloyd was brought down by Uffz. Steudel of Jasta 3.)

Source: Post by Stephen Lawson at www.theaerodrome.com

Edited by Dej

Stunning work as always. I don't know where you guys find the time to make all this happen, but I am glad you do!

Maybe OFF will mark the end of WW1 flightsims (certainly for a while)...It's hard to imagine any other WW1 sim competing against P4......I bet the 'other' WW1 sim were really chuffed they had brought out an HP400..... :lol:

Maybe OFF will mark the end of WW1 flightsims (certainly for a while)...It's hard to imagine any other WW1 sim competing against P4......I bet the 'other' WW1 sim were really chuffed they had brought out an HP400..... :lol:

I hate to say it but...

Both Targetware and Fighter Squadron WWI have had the Handley-Page 0/400 for a few years now. Targetware also had the 0/100. Of course both models were fairly low poly count, but the TargetWare 0/400 in particular was FM modeled to a nice extent.

In total there were six twin-gun Triplanes manufactured by sub-contractors Clayton & Shuttleworth (N533-538), three by Oakley (N5910-5912), and one ‘special’ (N5445) aircraft by the parent company, Sopwith. This one had a twin gun installation under a hump (similar to the Sopwith F.1 Camel).

Four of the Clayton & Shuttleworth machines saw combat, 2 airframes (N533 & N536) with Naval 10, 1 machine (N534) with Naval 1, and 1 (N535) with the Manston War School. The Manston machine shot its propeller off. The Naval 1 machine was flown by a couple of their minor aces for some time without result. It was then flown by Roderic Dallas once and he made a claim in it. Of the 2 Naval 10 machines, Raymond Collishaw flew N533 for several weeks suffering gun problems in every flight, then he made two claims on one patrol. It was then flown by William Alexander who hated it. N536 was flown by Nick Carter who also hated it, and it was passed downwards, and fairly soon ended up getting shot down (on 14.8.17 F/S/Lt. Lloyd was brought down by Uffz. Steudel of Jasta 3.)

Source: Post by Stephen Lawson at www.theaerodrome.com

Wow!! I guess I could not get a clearer, and more informative, response than that. Thanks Dej!

And now that we have the HP I guess the SS DIII or IV better be in the works also. Or at least some of the lesser known, and used, Fokker variants that were used for defence against the HP's. Plus some Fokker DR.1 "home Defence" (Kests?) skins. Yes, I am greedy...

Great screenshots.

Edited by DukeIronHand

I hate to say it but...

Both Targetware and Fighter Squadron WWI have had the Handley-Page 0/400 for a few years now. Targetware also had the 0/100. Of course both models were fairly low poly count, but the TargetWare 0/400 in particular was FM modeled to a nice extent.

Yeah, I'm a fan of FSWW1...I meant that with the sheer volume of Aircraft we have in OFF...plus it's unique campaign possibilities..there's nothing that approaches it really...which would mean a future developer couldn't get away with any less

By the way, the HP bomber is actually Type O/400 (with the letter 'O') and not 0/400 (with the number '0'). It's a very common mistake that many people make - I've made it myself many times in the past until I found out about the system HP used for naming their different types. It was always a combination of a letter (like 'M' or 'O'), slash, and a number.

Glad to see our devs didn't make the same mistake. :cool:

Interesting that a plane so universally loved by it's pilots would be 'hated' so, just because of the addition of a second gun.

You'ld think of all the deaths the Camel had caused in operational accidents would have also given it an equal despising. There were what, four different engine types used in the Camel? I mean the early versions were fitted with Clerget 130 hp, which were what the Bentley company copied when they made the BR1. This was the same engine used in the Tripehound, and I can't think of a better airframe to use the Clerget in, even with the extra weight of a second gun.

Just back from checking out the screenshots again.

The Type O/400 wasn't really used at the "front" as we traditionally speak of it in OFF terms IIRC.

Was it not used mostly with the Independent Air Force or on special raids - like on zeppelin sheds?

I know this flies in the face of that historical opus: the latest Red Baron movie!

Edited by DukeIronHand