Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: A New Project Followed Me Home

Greetings All,

Been on the road like mad for the last few weeks and am home for a day so I thought I'd better check in with you lot and see how things are going in the OFF skies. Also wanted to share my latest find with you folks.

Lous_1964_MGB_01.jpg

A 1964 MGB with 59,000 original miles. I have loved these little sports cars since my tour in England in the mid 1970's where I banged about in a '67 model. This one is the earliest incarnation of the breed, with the steel disc wheels, three-main-bearing motor, pull handles, banjo steering wheel, Jaeger gauges, multi-piece grille, and a host of other little items that make it a most desirable B to have. It needs a total restoration, but it is complete and unaltered, (with the exception of a newer radio), and I am the fourth owner since it was built. The top is a new one that had not even been snapped in place until I got it home. The very best part is that I only paid $900 for the buggy and even though I will be spending $1,500 in sheet metal on the underside, plus another $2,500 on interior, paint, and trim work to get it all back to 100%, it is so worth it. It's been about 10 years since my last old vehicle restoration and I've been itching to get on to another one. Me so happy! :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Although the quality is 'dubious', I like almost all british classics.

Owned three Minis myself and now have a Land Rover Lightweight FFR.

You are one who attracts such "to be rescued cases", aren't you, Lou?

Jeeze, it was a lovely car, but you will have to put many hours into it, to get it there again.

I'm afraid we will see you here even less. You even forgot about your quiz, it seemed?

Well, enough of the nagging - it is a beauty that should be saved by man who knows what do do

and how to do it right, and if I was such an old car, I'm sure I would be in good hands with you.

I wish you much success with it - and of course we expect pictures!

A beautiful car, but definitely needs a lot of work to restore it to its former glory. But that's the whole point, I suppose. :cool:

Nice find Lou, have a great time with your new toy! I hope to see pics of your progress. I often wonder how OVS is doing on his Nova. I keep looking for my dream a 1967 Pontiac GTO. I will find one some day, but they are getting rather pricey. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best Wishes John

I just love that MG, Lou. It's absolutely, absolutely gorgeous.

Even that red colour, although I hate red for cars, is nice.

Well, I'd change for green, probably. But red is common with MG....

1568216.jpg

Edit: I'd also change those rims. Are those the originals?

3k93pf3la5Q35Z35P1b5ud842f4c5ea1a1ef7.jpg

Edited by Von Paulus

Bravo old chap... lovely machine... well she will be when she's finished keep us all up to date on her. As to the rest of you guys stop knocking him... I have a Triumph motorcycle... problem I have with her being the new generation is she doesn't leak oil or as is said mark her territory with oil... miss the constant oil change. :drinks:

Since the '64 had a Lucis generator versus the more efficent alternator like the later MG's, are you going to keep it that way or upgrade it ???

After all, the reason the British drink warm beers is because they use Lucis refrigerators.:grin: (Lucis = the Prince of Darkness).

As they say in Ol' Blighty, the 'TinWorm' has had it ways with her undersides. Nice find and cheap relatively.

A late friend had a Bug eyed Sprite on jack stands and in a couple dozen boxes. He'd already done most of the paint work and restoration, but could'nt find enough time to finish. I had a '67 Volvo 122s years back that I had gone through the drive line and suspension, it was a nice old car.

Edited by Lewie

Nice find, Lou. Definitely needs a 'bit of work' though. So we'll regrettably be hearing from you less. Maybe your concession to the OFF time you're going to lose might be to give it a gleaming coat of PC10, with a Naval 10 nosejob!

As for the competition... it was become something of a two horse race rather too early, which was no real fun for you considering the effort you're expending. I've no regrets if you'd rather pull it.

As for the competition... it was become something of a two horse race rather too early, which was no real fun for you considering the effort you're expending. I've no regrets if you'd rather pull it.

That's right, Dej, and I feel the same about it. A pity no one else did bite more often.

I haven't forgotten about the contest, I've simply been out so much that I couldn't post entries and be around to respond to answers in a timely fashion, (sorry about that). Perhaps it would be best to restart it again at a later date when more folks might have a go at it, if that's OK with you Gents.

Perfectly okay, Lou - we need competitors to keep it thrilling.

Perfectly okay, Lou - we need competitors to keep it thrilling.

I second.

Edited by Dej

Alrighty then Olham and Dej, we shall restart the contest sometime in the future when perhaps more flyers will jump in and particiapte. Might even have an extra goodie or two to add to the prize package.

Carrick, it will be a sweet ride and even now it just looks so good in my driveway.

Muesli, it may be that certain British-built cars are of dubious quality, but then so am I. It seems a good pairing.

Uncleal, the knee action shocks are just part of the charm. I'll keep the buggy just the way it was intended, less-than modern shocks, hinky electrical system and all.

Olham, you are quite right, I do tend to take on lost causes, and I think they know it as they seem to seek me out.

Hasse Wind, you are spot on, that is the whole point.

John, I will be sure and post pictures of my progress. And I'll keep an eye open for your '67 Goat, (best looking GTO ever IMHO).

VP, I like the British Racing Green a lot, but I will be sticking with the Tartan Red that the car came with. And even though I love the wire wheels, the steel disc wheels that are on the car are the very, VERY rare originals, and look quite sharp when they have the hubcaps on them, which they will again.

Slarti, you have the right attitude concerning the old iron. That oil spot on the garage floor is a badge of honour to any owner of such old classic rides.

Lewie, the tin worm has indeed had its way on the underside of the B, but it has met it's match. I've thwarted many such steel-munching pests in my day.

Dej, a 'bit of work' is yet another beautiful example of English understatment. You're likely quite right about seeing less of me around the forums, at least while the weather is nice, but I will still be stopping in from time to time to scam a pinta' and swap stories. Now, as to a Naval 10 paint scheme --- hmmmm.

Cheers!

Lou

This is my '64 MGB. I bought it in 1986 when I was stationed at Hollman AFB NM from a young USAF Captain, whose parents bought it new while they were stationed in England. It was painted green and the interior need replacement, very little body work was needed. After a little tuning on the engine, it run great. The car had 57076 miles on it, I still use the original top and tonneau cover that came with the new car. Also, he had the showroom booklets, drivers manual, tuning manuals and a workshop manual which is great for repairs. After I replace the interior myself, I had it painted Red. I drive it in Shriner parades and warm early evenings and the occasional road trips. I have had do do very little repairs only normal maintenance, the only changes are, a 12 volt battery located under the hood and a new radio. The wife and I just love this little car!

Rich

post-56456-0-25092500-1308147814.jpg

post-56456-0-37017000-1308147830.jpg

post-56456-0-42884900-1308147881.jpg

post-56456-0-58413800-1308147894.jpg

Edited by jwrich

Weren't the cars more sexy back then? I think, they were!

Weren't the cars more sexy back then? I think, they were!

In a certain way I agree with you, Olham. The old cars have the charm of being old, while the new seem to be soulless.

We're in a age that begin to value the old,

However there still are fine designers.

@jwrich

Wow. :ok:

Old cars have certain advantages. First of all, they are easier to repair. I can do almost nothing myself to my few years old Opel, because there are sensitive computers and electronics everywhere. Professional repairshops are absolutely necessary for these cars. But older cars have such simple technology that even complex repairs are possible without professional help, if you know what you are doing.

Another thing is the design and look of older cars. Most of them have more character and look more personal than new cars, which greatly resemble each other, because they are designed using completely similar wind tunnel tests and computer programs.

Of course modern cars have many advantages over the older designs, I don't deny that. But not everything new is better than old.

Lou, you poor bloody bastard! Looks like we won't be seeing much of you as you now have to spend all your time in the garage!

I kid, I kid....l

I can make you jealous Lou. I know where there is a mint condition original MG which has been dry stored in a garage since it was built, and the only mileage it has was the delivery distance from the showroom to his garage. The only thing non-standard will be the kerbside weight, which is probably double what it should be with all the polish it's had over the years.

I agree about motor design. Look at MG's, Spitfires, Healy Sprites, Triumph Stag, even the mini, and you know they were built for fun. Then of course you have your Ferraris, Jaguars, and my favourite, the AC Cobra. Absolutely beautiful, but often lacking the tyres, brakes, and suspension technology they needed to keep them on the road. Special mention for the 1929 Bentley Blower, in British Racing green of course... yum, yum, I want one of them to scare the neighbours.

Modern car design is definitely lacking that 'something', but you can't argue modern cars are in a different league when it comes to performance and safety. It must be difficult however to get a designer with that 'edge' and originality through all the mundane training and engineering criteria a design must take account of, and when he finally gets to the design office, he has all those fantastic 'classics' which he cannot crib.

In many ways the car industry isn't doing too badly. Progress is improving it. When you look at other industries, house building and tool making, are two I come into contact with, then progress in the last 50 years has not in my opinion been making things better, neither in design or durability. It's the nature of hand crafted items to need a pair of hands to craft them.

I'm passionate about Cars!...I hate the bloody things!!...they're the bane of my life

Good luck Lou with that MG - she looks like a beaut!

My dad had a 1972 Rambler when I was growing up that was red with a white top and I'll always remember back with fondness the drives my family had in that car with the top down and not a care in the world.

I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee with 200,000 miles on it that's my primary vehicle. It's not that old in the big scheme of things but by today's standards of getting a new car every 3-4 years or so it is. It has a very old feel to it with the large steering wheel, rough motor, imperfect handling, a few things that don't work, etc. But she's my girl and I know how to treat her and I'll drive her until she gives out. It's not as nice as an MG or other cars mentioned but its the way it makes me feel - nostalgic perhaps - that won't allow me to part ways.

Edited by Shiloh