Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

P4 DEVELOPMENT SCREENSHOTS Discussion

That BE12 is exactly what OFF needs more. :good:

Well that, and a fully interactive Officer's Mess and local drinking establishment our virtual pilots can toddle off to after a hard day of fighting the aerial hordes.

Well that, and a fully interactive Officer's Mess and local drinking establishment our virtual pilots can toddle off to after a hard day of fighting the aerial hordes.

... and an occasional virtual visit to a certain kind of establishment where virtual woman can recreate the virtual warrior. :grin:

... and an occasional virtual visit to a certain kind of establishment where virtual woman can recreate the virtual warrior. :grin:

You mean a barbershop? :grin:

You mean a barbershop? :grin:

Ahahah! No, not the barber..... :no::whistle: :wink:

Hasse Wind, I don't believe you would want to go into the kind of establishment VP is referring to and ask for a little off the top.

Sounds like an interesting place. Maybe it will be included in P4. :grin:

Anyway, if the devs next post a screenshot of a new French two-seater, everything would be perfect in my small world. :cool:

Hasse Wind, I don't believe you would want to go into the kind of establishment VP is referring to and ask for a little off the top.

Depends whose top... :grin: Bound to come away with a virus though.

Be2c is done, with a bonus

Anyway some Be2c pics ...

I meant to say before that I noticed a compass peeping out from under the seat of the BE2c, although the compass HUD is also also on the screen. Would that compass in the cockpit be useable? In my attempts to wean myself of using the HUDs, it's the one instrument that I haven't been able to bring myself to dispense with yet. If there was a useable compass in the cockpit though, I'd have a go.

Oh, no I'm so disappointed! :blink:

OFF lost it's magic for me, when relised that the bonus feature was to mount a 1941 rifle on the Be2c

and send it's legendary focus on historical accuracy to bed... :no:

PS: Just kidding, guys!!! :grin:

The pictures are getting better and better! :ok:

Can't wait...

Edited by elephant

Yes the compass is viable, simply eer look down with TrackIR :) or press F6 key to get to it as usual in most of the craft.

Elephant noo the rifle is a MKIII 1904 - I did say that but seems to have been missed.

The 'Lee' in Lee Enfield was born in my home town in 1831.

Short Lee-Enfield Mk. III:

Introduced on January 26, 1907, the SMLE Mk. III possessed a modified chamber capable of firing the new Mk. VII High Velocity spitzer .303 ammunition, a fixed charger guide, and simplified rear sights. The standard British infantry weapon of World War 1, the SMLE Mk. III soon proved too complicated for industry to produce in sufficient numbers to meet wartime needs. To deal with this problem, a stripped down version was designed in 1915. Dubbed the SMLE Mk. III*, it did away with the Mk. III's magazine cut-off, volley sights, and rear-sight windage adjustment.

During the conflict, the SMLE proved a superior rifle on the battlefield and one capable of keeping up high rates of accurate fire. Many stories recount German troops reporting encountering machine fire, when in fact they had met trained British troops equipped with SMLEs.

(SMLE by the way stands for Short Magazine Lee Enfield, but thats not because it had a short magazine, it was a short rifle in length, and it had a magazine).

EDIT =

Pinched this quote from the Great War Forum. (Thank you Brigadier General Derek Robertson). I never actually thought about the Enfield part, I just presumed it was a Mr Enfield. Aren't forums great places to learn stuff?

The "LEE" in the Lee-Enfield denotes the name of its designer - James Paris Lee who was born in Hawick on August 9th, 1831, the son of a watchmaker and jeweller.

When he was just five years old, the family emigrated to Gault, in Canada. From an early age James displayed an intense interest in all things mechanical and he began to design and build intricate pieces of metalwork.

As an article in the Hawick Archaeological Transactions of 1969 recorded: ‘In 1879, he patented a bolt-action magazine rifle which marked the beginning of his success. His vertical box magazine, first used in this weapon, was a milestone in rifle design and the principle was to become a standard for all military rifles.’

He did not actually conceive the box magazine but he perfected it. The bolt-action repeating rifle that he invented, the Remington-Lee was tested by both the United States Army and Navy and soon attracted the attention of the British. In 1880, Lee’s basic magazine rifle, modified to fire a British service round and fitted with a Martini-Henry barrel, successfully eliminated several foreign and domestic rivals in British Service Trials. Trials were continued in Britain throughout the 1880’s with modified Remington-Lees. In 1888, prototype Lee magazine rifles were tested fitted with barrels featuring the seven-groove rifling of William E. Metford. This rifle, the “Magazine Lee-Metford Rifle Mark I’, was Britain’s first general service repeating rifle. It was a bolt action, .303 calibre rifle and had an eight-shot box magazine. British firearms experts began work to modify the Lee’s rifling to take better advantage of a newly designed bullet. It was called ‘Enfield’ rifling because it was developed at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Enfield and this led to the introduction of the first ‘Lee-Enfield’ rifle, which was approved for service on November 11, 1895.

Edited by Flyby PC

Yes the compass is viable, simply eer look down with TrackIR :) or press F6 key to get to it as usual in most of the craft.

Elephant noo the rifle is a MKIII 1904 - I did say that but seems to have been missed.

Not that it matters terribly, but the rifle in the BE pics IS a 1941-vintage No.4 - its exposed section of barrel just ahead of the front sight is a give-away, as is the rear sight, which on the WW1-era SMLEs was a long eye relief leaf sight mounted forward of the chamber. In the second pic with the rifle, you can see the No.4's rear-mounted 'battle sight', a simple fixed aperture which you could use by flipping forward the more elaborate adjustable aperture sight. Only every fired the No.8 (.22 training version) which had the same rear sight IIRC but the one in the pic is a No.4 WW2 rifle

WW1-era issue rifles like the Mark III, looked like this:

BSA%20No1%20Mk%20III.jpg

..and this is the no.4:

le55iu5.jpg

Edited by 33LIMA

Well the model isn't mega high detail so some parts are approximation such as the cut out but sure the sight part is in the wrong place no idea how I got that so maybe mixed photos, but I'll move it sometime then.

I knew I was not that crazy... :dntknw:

My elephant's memory doesn't fail me often...

The whole matter is of minor, if any at all significance, anyway.

I was just kidding... :grin:

So is this what we're talking about?

I'd never have spotted the difference, and judging by pics on google, neither do a lot of people. Good to know though chaps.

That's today's new thing learned, so now I can stop paying attention for the rest of the day. :clapping:

post-45899-0-62899400-1309174080.jpg

Anyone remember the recent movie 'My Boy Jack' starring Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame? The rifle that Daniel used in the training segment, was that a WWI era Lee Enfield?

I seem to recall from the movie it having a stubby bolt action lever, and I thought the short travel of the bolt lever is what made the Lee Enfield such a rapid fire carbine?

Sounds about right Lewie. - http://www.teamgob.c...ms/enfield.html

I have another question about this too. It says the magazine cut off was removed from the MkIII*. My question is, what exactly is a magazine cut off?

I'm guessing, but from a Wiki picture, it looks like it's some kind of safety mechanism to cap off a loaded magazine and keep gunge getting into the mag??? Or is it a safety catch to stop rounds being loaded into the breech, that would presumeably be a safety catch on the loading mechanism as opposed to the firing mechanism?

Anybody know? (I don't, it's not a trick question).

I'm guessing is was not the mechanism (like the garand is it??) where the ammo clip pings out once it's empty. I believe that was later, when the US frowned upon using magazines. I suppose the magazine cut off could still be some time of quick release, but then you'd have called it a quick release, not a cut off. ??? :dntknw:

Edited by Flyby PC

post-45891-0-23973800-1309276133.jpg

I know squat about guns, but Google found me this picture and discussion of a magazine cut-off

"The magazine cutoff was a feature on the SMLE invented by some stupid bean counter who was worried that soldiers would waste too many bullets with them new-fangled "magazine" thingies. The theory was that the soldiers would use the cutoff and load single rounds until the enemy got really close, then flip it off and unload the whole magazine on them. The reality was that it was just an additional useless hunk of metal to get caught on things and break in the trenches. During WW1 the British stopped putting them on the rifles when speed of production became more important than chrome-plating. Other countries had cutoffs too (Turkey comes to mind), but they were pretty much passe by the end of WW1. Nowadays it's a bonus feature for enfield collectors who want to collect every mod of every model of enfield ever built."

Thanks for that 77Scout. I get it, loud and clear. So THAT's what it was for. All makes perfect sense now.

That'll be today's new thing learned. Feet up time again. This learning stuff is easy. Same time tomorrow? :drinks::rofl:

It's so easy to please flight sim people. I bet the devs sometimes wish they had made a first person shooter instead of a WW1 flight sim. Their audience would be somewhat less demanding, I imagine. :grin:

What you said Hasse Wind ;). This screenshot thread is a tad off kilter now.

P4 DEVELOPMENT SCREENSHOTS Discussion

Place for comments so we can clean up the screenshot thread !

Well if I may re-direct the conversation a bit, I'd like to go back to that 60FPS I keep seeing in the upper left hand corner of some of the screen shots. That's extremely impressive work gentlemen. Obviously different machines running different hardware and on different settings are going to get a variety of results. That said, it would almost appear that somehow you've managed to up the detail AND the FPS simultaneously. In very broad stroke general terms, do you find that to be a true statement in many cases?

Hellshade