i wonder if the rex is exclusive to iceland or we can make new terrains at that res....

like hawaii or japan, that way we can still have alot of water..

I'm pretty sure answer is yes, Iceland being testbed for new renderer/data pipeline

I wonder if the little life boats will work. Or the multiple weapon systems per ship. Or the aiming for the ship gunners.

I think there's good chance for multiple weapons systems for ships

the lifeboats? No

considering the Map is like 75% water... yeah.. something had to be done with it.

wtf do you want with lifeboats? after a soviet nuclear missile hits aboat... it will not need any lifeboat

For the Icebergs.

I'm pretty sure answer is yes, Iceland being testbed for new renderer/data pipeline

same opinion

here's the better matching comparision of GoogleEarth 3D model with the best so far in-game terrain shot, to me the in game one looks very well done compared to GE data:

post-8911-0-88653100-1324848897.jpg

notice the ice/glaciers borders on both shots, also heightmap in general, these look almost identical :good:

the viewpoint in GE is some 9-9.5 kilometers off shore to give you distances clue, the slight difference in height of the mountains is due to different FOV, I did my best to find similar spot in GE 3D world

Will be realy interesting if we can create out own Terrains, so as the mentioned Hawai Islands could be interesting, Malta Operations and other Stuff ;)

Realy like this update, so Maybe thats a new era in the SF history

from Thirdwire FB page:

no, its not out yet, almost there tho :)

i wonder if the rex is exclusive to iceland or we can make new terrains at that res....

like hawaii or japan, that way we can still have alot of water..

Yeah, I'm really excited about this. I'd love to be able to do Hokkaido with the new TE. That's part of the reason I've been holding off on the terrain lately...

Love the water... ships look great... from what i can see, Iceland is going to look impressive as well. If TK gives us a sky and clouds that are as impressive as what we are seeing it seems that the SF2 series will be "Reborn Hard".

Take your time TK and make this game Epic.... you are on the right track.

like hawaii or japan, that way we can still have alot of water

talk about behind the curve...

Hawaii and Japan (well, southern half the Home Islands, Korea and Ryukus) have been terrains for about 5 years ... look in the SF1/Terrains downloads section.

be interesting, though ... but methinks a LOT more difficult, as this terrain will be LOD driven. Can't wait to study it!

be interesting, though ... but methinks a LOT more difficult, as this terrain will be LOD driven.

That's my question...what exactly will be LODs? We know the obvious...current ground objects. But what else...trees? Buildings? The terrain itself? I'll be curious to see how difficult new terrains will be to create.

FC

My guess is whole terrain mesh will be LOD-based, created in Max, then perhaps cut into square chunks with their levels of detail

I suspect all ground objects will be added via standard ini placement, hard to guess about land features like trees, rivervalleys etc

Here's some test work I did some months back with building simple circa 20x20 km landmass in Max, in my test covered with single odd 5120x5120 texture with skylight and (broken) shadows, then (after failing hehehe) used other way to generate standard HDF from it, use Image Cut app to cut the texture to 100 individual tiles (10x10 rows) but I stopped testing

post-8911-0-22804500-1324896153.jpg

post-8911-0-71602600-1324896990.jpg

continuing I guess that new terrain data is based on STRM rather than DEM for more accuracy, which was proven by my comparision of GE and ingame shot. Whenever mesh uses single mega texture or more individual ones, or tiles remains yet unknown (I think the split megatexture)

Edited by Stary

I hope that mip mapping will be introduced If the entire map is based on lod's

why shouldn't? I t has nothing to do with the format used

hgbn, your graphics card should be configured to do that in-game already...

SidDogg

I know. But I can see a lot of performance issues. If you have a half gazillion polys and full textures files loaded as one time.

hgbn, your graphics card should be configured to do that in-game already...

SidDogg

mip maps now??

Would be so simple if we could use Sim City 4 terrain editor to create maps...

Would be so simple if we could use Sim City 4 terrain editor to create maps...

agreed, viper.

yeah, the stinky TODs will be gone I hope