Siggi

Well, that's the end of Rise of Flight.

So, rather than set out to provide the missing iconic planes from the early stage of the conflict...you know, pertinent stuff that Richthofen was shooting down like the Fe2, the Strutter and Be2, 777 have decided we need a pair of obscure SEAPLANES and yet another late-war forgettable barge, the DH4.

http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/default.aspx

And...get this...they want people paying months up front for it! :rofl:

At this point I'd usually say something like "I'd like some of what they're smoking" but meth is a bit OTT even for me.

This'll be forever remembered as One of Those Moments. The moment RoF turned away from it's chance of ultimate success and took instead a step over the edge of the precipice. :suicide2:

Naval stuff you say?

They must have seen my post in the P4 secret beta-testers thread and got nervous! :lol:

I was hoping they'd move on to the realy early war stuff personally, as now that they've added pistols and the like I'd say they're missing a trick not adding some early unarmed Aircraft.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

I am glad, that the OFF devs had and still have a more logical concept of advancing their sim -

logically and one firm step after the other.

But: OFF is really so good, that it doesn't need to "laugh behind their hands" about any bad mistakes

by any other team. I would in fact regard it as tragic, if a sim, with so much enthusiasm and time and

energy - so much love - put into it, should finally fail due to wrong decisions or whatever.

As a fan of WW1 air combat simulation, I could only feel sad for any such sim, if it would go down.

I hope it will be possible, that they can both peacefully co-exist.

They approach the whole stuff differently enough, so that I believe they should be able to.

Well Olham, maybe a sub-bombing seaplane sim is what the majority of WW1 air-combat simmers want from their RoF...but I'm going to take a mad stab in the dark and hazard a guess it ain't. :wink:

• Like 1

I will agree with Siggi that is quite strange the RoF chaps are modelling obscure seaplanes rather than aeroplanes the players seemed to want (as per the polls in their Community forae)...but then they have changed their plans a few times-- or at least thats how I've interpreted 777 Studios (ex-neoCube) plans as originally they were only concentrating on the late war in 1917-1918, then luckily they added some great models for 1916/17. I have most of the models, but will vote with my pocket book as the seaplanes pose nothing interesting for me. :yikes:

As Olham says, too, OFF has so much still to offer the WWI flight sim player, and with P4 I imagine it will just get even better- like the proverbial fine bottle of schnapps :drinks: I enjoy both sims, just like I enjoy IL2/BoB II/CLoD. Its all good. :salute:

I bought everything they offered until that ridiculous Personal pack and I cant say I'm that fussed or will be bothered about buying seaplanes either.

Think I'm about done with paying anymore for this sim now.

I'm also getting very bored with he constant harping on about "we need money" from their American chap.

Hurry up and release OFF Phase 4 please.

Well, you have to agree that it does partly fill in a much missing piece of WW1 aviation.

Probably in anticipation of ROF2--air and naval battles of WW1! :dntknw:

I have RoF..and am 'quite' enjoying it..though I play it perhaps 10% of my WW1 flying time...Have the planes I wanted now...but seaplanes?..OFF did that in P1...c'mon 777.....wake up and smell the Coffee

I have both sims and I enjoy them very much. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I'm always excited when I see new developments for both.

• Like 1

The "American chap" begs for not inconsiderable amounts of money up front with one hand while with the other intimating how touch-and-go the whole affair is if not enough money is forthcoming. It's no bloody wonder he's been rebuffed by so many potential partners/investors; with savvy like that I'd sooner invest money in a company making chocolate teapots than throw it down the crapper with RoF.

• Like 1

I bought everything they offered until that ridiculous Personal pack and I cant say I'm that fussed or will be bothered about buying seaplanes either.

Think I'm about done with paying anymore for this sim now.

I'm also getting very bored with he constant harping on about "we need money" from their American chap.

This^^^^. Pay for 20+ bucks for the channel map so you can fly Belgian or bomb uboats? Really?

The dealbreaker question for me is:

Can I fly the seaplanes AND sport a really great scarf at the same time? I don't want to take the time to make airplane skins, but could really enjoy skinning some scarves.

I would have to agree about the asking for money. They would get my purchase right away if they removed the activation and used a serial like "Matrix Games" for protection. IE use a abnned serial and no more patches or addons can be installed. Seems to work for Matrix Games.

As for the Sea Planes, I must be the odd one out I love them, especially Aerosoft's Cat for FSX. If you could bomb with it and land on the water it would be good as I do not know of a cambat sim that can do that yet. Are they adding sea bases as well or something?

But I must admit due to the activation I am not even interested in their free limited version, or reading about what they are going to release. I can always find out here. :good:

Regards

Markl

Can I fly the seaplanes AND sport a really great scarf at the same time?

Yes, as long as you don't fly below sea level. Mmuahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!

The DH4 I approve of - it should be part of OFF, to be honest.

The rest looks like somebody's hobby horse.

What are they thinking?

Well, if money talks, then they should stop buying his planes then. Actually the users should be able to press home thier wishes by saying "I'll buy the Be2 when its out" etc.

All this Jason does is threaten to close shop if we dont like what he believes to be needed. As it stands now, because of the pre-order policy, he is commited to producing this $75 package and wasting 2012. This means, if he dont quit, that the early work horses will have to wait another year or two.

Shame OFF has limited mmp qualities.

ROF ain't about replicating the "being there" feeling of WW1. That's what OFF does. ROF, OTOH, has always been and always will remain a "Quake with airplanes" thing. For those too young to remember Quake, think of the FPS deathmatch game du jour. The whole point of such a game is bring the FPS deathmatch gameplay to another environment and cater to folks older than 12 who want something more cerebral than button mashing and rocket-jumping. It's a successful formula--MMO deathmatch flightsims have been around since the late 1980s. WW2 has been their main place, ROF is just a WW1 version.

The formula for such games DOES NOT ever envision a complete, historical planeset. Hell, most such games allow all players to fly any plane at all, so that often fights involve the same planes on both sides. The vast bulk of the target audience, however, actually likes this. This is because they want to be fighter pilots and beat other fighter pilots and talk trash about it. If the other guy is flying an identical plane, then it's a question of skill, not equipment, and victory is worth more trashtalk. Very few players want to fly buffs and even fewer really want to shoot them down because there's no bragging rights attached. Instead, they want the latest and greatest fighters so they can be competitive with all the other guys who naturally gravitate to such planes.

With this sort of constomer base (which has been typical of all MMOFS games since they 1st appeared), what you always end up with is a planeset that has just about every version of every late-war fighter even invented, no matter how obscure, and a very few late-war buffs for those few people who lack the skill to tangle with the big boys. There might also be a few planes (again, mostly fighters) from earlier in the war, which nobody ever flies unless they're segregated off in special early-war game areas, because they can't hang with the ubiquitous herds of late-war planes. And even then, nobody much flies in the early-war areas.

So, recognize ROF for what it is. It's not aiming to present a realistic array of aircraft, it's aiming to provide aircraft that fit into the MMOFS deathmatch scheme that's been used for the last 25 years by such games as Air Warrior, Warbirds, and Ace High. As such, it will never have anywhere near as many 2-seaters available as fighters and most of the fighters will be of 1917-1918 vintage. Why? Because that's what its target audience wants. So if you don't see it going the direction you'd like, it's a safe bet you're not part of ROF's target audience and there's no point getting all in a huff over it, because it will never do what you want. Either accept it for what it is or play OFF.

• Like 2

So what are these Seaplanes you're going on about? Not the HF22? FBA's? Shorts?

I was going to add that the Rolls Royce and Liberty powered DH4's were among the fastest and more effective two seater's used in the late 1917 through 1918 parts of the war. They were faster than some of the fighters they encountered.

The DH9a on the other hand..:P

Edited by Lewie

I totally agree with Bullethead, he was spot on! :good:

That preorder thing in RoF has became kind of frustrating!

I'm kind of sceptical with RoF lately, (after the rediculous "personal package")... :blink:

The new plans dissolved my dreams of ever seeing someday my favorite Albatros D.III and D.V, in RoF!

Siggi wants the planes MvR was facing but even his own plane for "Bloody April" is missing! :no:

Anyway, where is P4?

Isn't it time for a new preview movie?

Curious. How is this tripe/bashing thread allowed here in this forum when not so long ago I posted a sincere RoF thread announcing that they were finally implementing a single-player campaign mode.

AND that post was not only locked but removed from the forum history???

Curious. How is this tripe/bashing thread allowed here in this forum when not so long ago I posted a sincere RoF thread announcing that they were finally implementing a single-player campaign mode.

AND that post was not only locked but removed from the forum history???

+1

ROF ain't about replicating the "being there" feeling of WW1. That's what OFF does. ROF, OTOH, has always been and always will remain a "Quake with airplanes" thing. For those too young to remember Quake, think of the FPS deathmatch game du jour. The whole point of such a game is bring the FPS deathmatch gameplay to another environment and cater to folks older than 12 who want something more cerebral than button mashing and rocket-jumping. It's a successful formula--MMO deathmatch flightsims have been around since the late 1980s. WW2 has been their main place, ROF is just a WW1 version.

The formula for such games DOES NOT ever envision a complete, historical planeset. Hell, most such games allow all players to fly any plane at all, so that often fights involve the same planes on both sides. The vast bulk of the target audience, however, actually likes this. This is because they want to be fighter pilots and beat other fighter pilots and talk trash about it. If the other guy is flying an identical plane, then it's a question of skill, not equipment, and victory is worth more trashtalk. Very few players want to fly buffs and even fewer really want to shoot them down because there's no bragging rights attached. Instead, they want the latest and greatest fighters so they can be competitive with all the other guys who naturally gravitate to such planes.

With this sort of constomer base (which has been typical of all MMOFS games since they 1st appeared), what you always end up with is a planeset that has just about every version of every late-war fighter even invented, no matter how obscure, and a very few late-war buffs for those few people who lack the skill to tangle with the big boys. There might also be a few planes (again, mostly fighters) from earlier in the war, which nobody ever flies unless they're segregated off in special early-war game areas, because they can't hang with the ubiquitous herds of late-war planes. And even then, nobody much flies in the early-war areas.

So, recognize ROF for what it is. It's not aiming to present a realistic array of aircraft, it's aiming to provide aircraft that fit into the MMOFS deathmatch scheme that's been used for the last 25 years by such games as Air Warrior, Warbirds, and Ace High. As such, it will never have anywhere near as many 2-seaters available as fighters and most of the fighters will be of 1917-1918 vintage. Why? Because that's what its target audience wants. So if you don't see it going the direction you'd like, it's a safe bet you're not part of ROF's target audience and there's no point getting all in a huff over it, because it will never do what you want. Either accept it for what it is or play OFF.

And yet even the most fanatical MP'ers over there claim the SP market for RoF is significantly bigger. Personally I really don't know which is the bigger purchasing base, SP or MP.

And Bandy, considering the amount of bashing handed out to anyone over there who dares to go against the cheerleading grain, including trash-talk from you, I guess you can feel free to STFU with your hypocrisy. With all due respect.

• Like 1

Siggi, as an adult there are ways to express an opinion without making yourself look like a ranting lunatic, for instance from 33lima posted at RoF forum HERE.

Maybe if you didn't pull a temper tantrum people might want to read your opinion...

Views will obviously vary, but this is not for me.

On the one hand, seaplanes and anti-submarine action is something of a unique selling point, for a WW1 airwar sim, and will appeal to some.

And the DH4 is certainly a very worthwhile addition to the 1917-18 era planeset.

OTOH, those who bought early fighters, expecting or hoping (not unreasonably) that the 1916 skies would sooon enough get at least one 2-seater from each side (whithout which, an career from that era is pretty empty and silly) have been sort of abandoned, at least for the year ahead, if not perhaps indefinitely.

IMHO the .45 and the personal pack was a small step in the wrong direction for RoF, and this is a bigger one. Not being into the different, multi-player mindset, I'm interested in an adequate historical planeset, that's an important part of the SP campaign experience.

And tho I have most of the RoF planes, and I did advance order the RE8, I'm not going to pay up front for any more content. I'm inlcined to support developers whose products I like, by buying them, when they are available, rather paying in advance in the expectation, or to help ensure, that they will be. RoF's current direction of travel is not heading anywhere I want to go, so I'm stepping off the that bus for now.

Siggi, as an adult there are ways to express an opinion without making yourself look like a ranting lunatic, for instance from 33lima posted at RoF forum HERE.

Maybe if you didn't pull a temper tantrum people might want to read your opinion...

Maybe you'd like to quote me where I've come across as a "raving lunatic"?! Oh, you can't, because you're engaging in hyperbole. Seriously, what are you on, describing anything I've posted over there in such absurd terms? Are you a child?