crl848

Wot TK thinging with this iPad business?

I have to say that I dislike touch screens with all that greasy dirt left from our fingers .... it could be usefull for portable devices, but never for a serious home pc.

And what about a touch-screen-joystick? :rofl:

Maybe Tk would like to change his core business (i.e. aircraft simulations) if is thinking to realise mass products for tablets ..... if so I personally will have no interest.

:yikes:

that first post in this thread is what my high school history teacher would call "a perfect example of yellow journalism"

In other words, in plane, simple Americanese, it horses**t

What do you mean Kevin? Seems perfectly reasonable to me. In any event, it's a masterstroke by TK to get us either off topic when ity comes to NA, or get us passionate about TW - or both. :grin:

Seriously, TK's main problem is, and has been for a long time, lack of exposure. ie marketing. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. His refusal to do interviews, for example. On behalf of a major game site (that shall remain nameless) I asked him if he'd do an interview (I think it was for WoI) - he flat out refused (in the nicest way possible), and wouldn't even allow us to use any screenshots of the upcoming sim that he had already posted on his site. We weren't asking for preview copies or anything - we knew that was not gonna fly (pun intended) - but screenshots?

It didn't and still doesn't make any sense to me.

Tablets will suck for any serious gaming, but what's wrong with Angry Birds? I'll come out of the closet as a fan. Wish I had of thought of it.

Indeed, he could be doing so much better than he is. More attention, more sales. The impression I get is he is too risk averse. There's no harm in doing an interview and showing some screen shots.

Diversifying his business would be a good thing though. is**t and android games and apps would make a nice augmenting source of revenue, allowing for more resources to do what he wants.

That's basically what I'm planning on doing. Make apps and simple games and sell them to get some revenue while my flagship product gets developed, which is meant to create a pretty constant revenue stream that will give me enough resources to expand into more traditional games.

is**t and android games and apps would make a nice augmenting source of revenue, allowing for more resources to do what he wants.

Spot on Eraser! I couldn't have said it better.

Appeal the masses of mindless sheep out there that are only happy to fork out cash for what in hindsight will be seen as an inferior product so that you can finance the "real" project.

Dels

P.S. Apologies in advance for my emotive language, but this issue cuts deep.

The very latest high end flight sim rigs are running oc'd hex core processors at over 5ghz and multiple overclocked gtx580's each with 3 gigs of vram, pushing multiple monitors at very high resolutions. The idea of a tablet stepping into enthusiast level flight sim territory in the next few years is comedy. I dont see myself using a tablet to render my AfterFX projects or 3ds max scenes anytime soon either LOL. Tablet computing is for the average guys basic needs, not for anything serious .

100 years time - predict a device that just reads your mind and inputs that :)

Might be sooner than that!

EPOC neuroheadset:

http://www.emotiv.com/apps/epoc/299/

Not quite there yet, but quite promising. I wonder what they'll come up with in 10 or 20 years.

The very latest high end flight sim rigs are running oc'd hex core processors at over 5ghz and multiple overclocked gtx580's each with 3 gigs of vram, pushing multiple monitors at very high resolutions. The idea of a tablet stepping into enthusiast level flight sim territory in the next few years is comedy. I dont see myself using a tablet to render my AfterFX projects or 3ds max scenes anytime soon either LOL. Tablet computing is for the average guys basic needs, not for anything serious .

can't agree. You're showing the approach that had very negative impact on flight sims games in the past and almost killed the genre -the approach that "we" those "flying" "simulators" need thousands of Ghz and countless GFX onboard -because in your thinking flightsimmers are elite and such FS9/FSX-nuts related crap. Really? Don't wanna break it to you, but you're still playing a game with planes in it, no matter how serious you'd like to call it Icarus. Wanna fly the real simulator? Have 200.000$? So buy yourself one.

Surely, go ahead, but how many of members here have

oc'd hex core processors at over 5ghz and multiple overclocked gtx580's each with 3 gigs of vram, pushing multiple monitors at very high resolutions
you mention. Me, I'm still at 12801024, resolution my good old monitor allows, 8400 onboard with 4 gig of ram and single 560Ti. I'd say pretty casual system that allows me to play latest games at full detail and good stable >35-40 frametares (BF3, Skyrim)

You show your ignorance to casual gamers who would like to try flightgames on their mere 2 Gb dual core Vista systems. TK doesn't, that's why his sims play well on cheap laptops, mods aside. So, the perspective of them being able to play something like TW titles on a crappy tablet (as much as I'm not fan of the technology, time WILL force me to buy one in the next years) makes you instantly calling them names? that's how I get that "not for anything serious" of your. Yess, you're so serious pilot in you chair, you!

---

Disclaimer: User Stary had much pity and disrespect for "pilots" "flying" FSX "simulator" with 5000.0$ worth of addons and yokes. Get a life, it's still a game.

Look what they're coming up with now

http://neurowear.com/?p=144

:lol: Nice! But you'll have to admit that the target "audience" for the necomimi is, erm, quite specific? :lol:

EDIT: Stary, you forgot to mention that FSX has a porked coding, that's why the're running it on OC'ed quad/hex cores :grin:.

Edited by SFP1Ace

Guest Pfunk

The PC is still a better platform than any console if you're concerned about freedom of design. You can do anything you want and do digital download as a method of distribution.

The thing I see happening soon is some of these extremely talented modding groups like The Mirage Factory opening up an e-commerce site and selling their work after TK abandons the PC for the iPhone market. Every sonofagun and his brother has one. Nobody has PCs like ours. We're a very small group, iPhone users are a large one. Go where the money is.

The modding groups will be keeping SF2 on life support for at least a decade or more. Think about how many people are still flying Red Baron 3D. Think about all those people who make legacy machines just to run a Voodoo graphics board and play old Jane's sims. SF2 won't be going away, but I see the content that is free right now eventually being refined to an even greater quality and sold as payware.

The consoles are actually holding development of games back right now. People who just bought Modern Warfare 3 for the Xbox 360 yesterday are going to go home and play it on a Celeron 3-core processor, 256MB of desktop RAM, and an X800 Radeon GPU with DX9-quality graphics. And they're going to think it's amazing. Think about that for just a second.

that first post in this thread is what my high school history teacher would call "a perfect example of yellow journalism"

In other words, in plane, simple Americanese, it horses**t

If you're going to be insulting you ought to explain yourself. Although frankly I don't see what prompted this sort of language. Mods? Oh, forgot, you are one.

• Like 1

The modding groups will be keeping SF2 on life support for at least a decade or more. Think about how many people are still flying Red Baron 3D. Think about all those people who make legacy machines just to run a Voodoo graphics board and play old Jane's sims. SF2 won't be going away, but I see the content that is free right now eventually being refined to an even greater quality and sold as payware.

If TK is serious then I agree that SF becomes a zombie sim kept alive by sites like this. I'm not sure whether this means inevitable payware mods. I suppose we'll have to enjoy SFNA as a last hurrah.

Regarding Third Wire's break to another platform(s) I'm not going to worry about 'if' and 'when' cause we've got SF2NA and EP3 to look forward to followed by SF2K (Korea).

Also TK never stated in that post he'll abandon PC as a platform, right?

I think TK also does not have an economics degree. Otherwise, he might have come to the conclusion that Exp2 didn't sell as well because maybe people weren't really capable of spending money at the time?

Also, frankly, Exp2 was underwhelming besides the ME, and if you don't care for the ME, you bought it for nothing. The campaign customizer as DLC was a good idea, because if people don't want it they don't have to pay for it (although I think that SHOULD be standard because it enhances the otherwise limited campaign options, and when you have no MP and ONLY single missions and campaigns, you really need either the ME or the CC in the game if not both). However, Exp2 was pretty much "some obscure Euro jets" other than that. To non-Europeans its appeal must have been small. At least Exp 1 had the P-51 and covered the relatively famous late 40s war in Israel.

Finally, while I bought and enjoy them all, I think the route he took with SF2 was a mistake. Redoing SFP1, WOE, WOV, and WOI should not have been done. SF2:NA should've been the first SF2 title. People are STILL flying SFP1 and its brethren, and while SF2 is better it wasn't NECESSARY. He could've switched to the SF2 engine with 1 new flyable plane per title/expansion, kept the ability to use SFP1 mods (as most of the early SF2 mods were just ports), or just dumped the mods and put MP in as he said he might in the past (his notion that mods and MP are mutually exclusive I don't agree with, but there you go). Let's face it, SF2 as it is today with just a flyable F-14 but MP would sell great. The MP would have to be more than we had in SFP1 (random missions only) because it was too little, the ability to do campaigns or at least to do scripted missions in addition is needed. Don't dump the random, though, because in say DCS or RoF I constantly have the problem of lack of MP missions to fly and there's no options for campaigns or randomized missions there. I would love an SFP1-style random MP mission ability for both of those.

Also, while it must be nice to get almost 100% of your sale price for yourself, I really think TK should look to Steam. Raise the prices if needed, but Steam has exposure. Just showing up when people search for "flight" or "sim" in Steam would be instant ads. There's also Impulse/Gamespot, Direct2Drive, and others. What's TK's ad method now? Word of mouth from existing customers? People stumbling across his FB page? Random Google searches? Inefficient.

But doing so would mean he'd have to make his sales figures public, and for some reason he always seems real secretive about that.

Also, frankly, Exp2 was underwhelming besides the ME, and if you don't care for the ME, you bought it for nothing. The campaign customizer as DLC was a good idea, because if people don't want it they don't have to pay for it (although I think that SHOULD be standard because it enhances the otherwise limited campaign options, and when you have no MP and ONLY single missions and campaigns, you really need either the ME or the CC in the game if not both). However, Exp2 was pretty much "some obscure Euro jets" other than that. To non-Europeans its appeal must have been small. At least Exp 1 had the P-51 and covered the relatively famous late 40s war in Israel.

Well I think ME revolutionized the way most people play the game, not sure if more people go for single missions or campaigns but that's about the tastes anyway, as for other things, mainly "obscure Euro-jets":

Well the EXP2 brought new Hunters, Lightnings and F-100A/C jets I would rather call that a British-American connection, OK the Hunters had such a large service all over the world you could call that an "Euro-jet" but most certainly not obscure as we are talking about a true legend here, it's like saying Spitfire is "some obscure Euro-plane" but I'm missing my point here...

On the other hand EXP1 had Meteor, Mystere and P-51, that is IMO more into "obscure Euro-jetting" than exp2.

Now when you really look closely at those two titles you can see something interesting, it's recycling, because exp1 brought 3 brand new never before seen planes in SF2 series while strictly looking exp2 only had the Lightning because new Hunters and SuperSabers are just new variants of existing planes, yes the pits are new and awsome and everything is really cool - to us, the very few that really appreciate multiple variants but casual gamer just sees another plane of the same name and same basic look, he does not care that much about variants like we do and that is I think also one of the reasons exp1 sold better than exp2

Nevertheless I think you nailed the head with the intro remark, we are indeed in turbulent economy time...

Well I think ME revolutionized the way most people play the game, not sure if more people go for single missions or campaigns but that's about the tastes anyway, as for other things, mainly "obscure Euro-jets":

in fact the ME was on of the best addition to the game, there is no question about that.

Finally, while I bought and enjoy them all, I think the route he took with SF2 was a mistake. Redoing SFP1, WOE, WOV, and WOI should not have been done. SF2:NA should've been the first SF2 title.

i'm afraid that if he had not done these 4 titles and ad all the improvement which came with them, sf2 NA may have never come or not as advanced as it seems to be (judging just by the picture)

Edited by Murphy'S

People are STILL flying SFP1 and its brethren, and while SF2 is better it wasn't NECESSARY.

what should have he done? add all the improvements to the sfp1 engine by patching?

No, my point was instead of SF2 being the first title with SF2V, E, and I coming out quickly after that he would've been better served to make NA the first release even if it came out later than SF2 did.

Granted it likely would not have as many of the improvements as we have now (it would be closer to what SF2 was like on release perhaps), but I think he might have made more of a splash than SF2 made. Had he done that, by now he'd likely be on the 3rd release in the series of new stuff.

I think he put almost as much effort into the SF2 series to date as he would have had he gone that route, with making updated cockpits, terrain, 3d models, etc, but too many SFP1-era owners declined to buy them because TK himself downplayed their improvements. He billed SF2 as a minimum-work upgrade of SFP1 and it became far more than that. Hence, he should've just shot for this in the first place and released the old games' content as expansions or whatever. The main difference would've been more SF1 owners would've switched over immediately and he would've seen greater sales.

Will NA outsell all the previous SF2 releases? I hope so, but I wouldn't go so far as to predict it.

I can't think of any game TK could produce for the iPhone or iPad that I would buy. Certainly not a flying game of any sort. I also can't fathom how that mission editor could have taken so much effort to produce that it almost broke the company--that doesn't pass my internal reasonableness test.

I also can't fathom how that mission editor could have taken so much effort to produce that it almost broke the company--that doesn't pass my internal reasonableness test.

yeah, sometimes I can't believe what I'm reading from the man...

Why?

How many mission editors have been released from 3rd parties?

How many of everything else has been released?

How much time was there to improve the 3rd party editors before TK released his product?

If a mission editor was that needed, it would have sold. It didn't....both products that included it have sold poorly. Think about it...reskins and ini change DLCs have sold better than a mission editor. If the sales didn't cover the cost of making it, it was a bust.

I see this on a hobby board I post on. The majority of members posting advice about what should sell, the company making said products which sell very poorly due to lack of audience. Board members think the are the 'pulse' of the market...but find they are badly out of touch.

Do not assume you are the majority of the audience.

FC

• Like 2