Sign in to follow this  
warthog64

Huge Freakin Storm!

Fubar..Bergen County here

Southern Monmouth County here, between Wall, Colts Neck, and Howell. They now predict that the eye will come ashore between Ocean City and Atlantic City. We had a 76 mph gust at the local airport, and I've lost power twice, so far. Here's the data from a Buoy 25 nautical miles south of Fire Island Inlet. NY:

Winds: NE (50°) at 48.6 knots gusting to 64.1 knots

Significant Wave Height: 26.6 ft

Dominant Wave Period: 15 sec

Mean Wave Direction: ENE (69°)

Atmospheric Pressure: 28.49 in and falling rapidly

Air Temperature: 62.1 F

Dew Point: 62.1 F

Water Temperature: 59.5 F

Southern Monmouth County here, between Wall, Colts Neck, and Howell. They now predict that the eye will come ashore between Ocean City and Atlantic City. We had a 76 mph gust at the local airport, and I've lost power twice, so far. Here's the data from a Buoy 25 nautical miles south of Fire Island Inlet. NY:

Winds: NE (50°) at 48.6 knots gusting to 64.1 knots

Significant Wave Height: 26.6 ft

Dominant Wave Period: 15 sec

Mean Wave Direction: ENE (69°)

Atmospheric Pressure: 28.49 in and falling rapidly

Air Temperature: 62.1 F

Dew Point: 62.1 F

Water Temperature: 59.5 F

Stay safe

Powere gone. No. Phones , gutters flying off houses left and right

Using my cell

stay safe veltro and fubar. hope to hear from you guys in the morning.

Damn......I always thought all those disaster movies were cheesy and unreal......Now,I think different.Stay safe people.

Those areas aren't designed for storms like these. The water totally overwhelms the drainage systems. We had a TS hit a couple of years back and it dropped something like 36 inches of rain in a day and a half, the flooding never went past 10 inches and was gone in hours.

Oh yeah, and all my power and other utility lines are underground. In 11 years of living here, the worst was the 4th hurricane hit of 2004 when IIRC we lost power for 4 hrs, and I think the cable was out maybe 2 hrs longer.

For decades all I've ever heard from people is "Oh, Florida, they have so many hurricanes"...yet they cause less problems here. Only the 4 in a row in 2004 were really a problem. We had a CAT 3 a few years back and it resulted in one day of inconvenience for most people. Meanwhile, from Texas to New England I've watched hurricanes hit the rest of the south and east and even the CAT 1 canes (even the ones who've dropped to TS) wreak havoc. Partly because building codes are less strict, and the construction can't hack it, and partly because nothing ELSE is ready for it either. The lack of foresight for these events is not excusable. Just because these other states are hit less often doesn't mean they shouldn't be prepared so when they do hit (and they always will) things don't get this bad.

Nasty

A record 4m (13ft) tidal surge sent seawater cascading into large parts of New York City's subway system.

Across the city, a power sub-station exploded, a hospital was evacuated and fire destroyed 50 homes.

At least 15 people are reported dead across several US states.

Fire has destroyed about 50 homes in the New York City borough of Queens

More than 200 patients were evacuated from New York University's Tisch Hospital after power went out and a backup generator failed

A large tanker ship has been washed on to a street in Staten Island, New York

America's oldest nuclear power plant, Oyster Creek in New Jersey, was put on alert due to rising water, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said

The New York Stock Exchange will stay shut on Tuesday - the first time it has closed for two consecutive days owing to weather since 1888

A crew member from a replica of HMS Bounty has died and the captain is missing after the ship sank in mountainous seas off North Carolina on Monday

A construction crane in New York was bent double next to a skyscraper, while the facade of a four-storey building collapsed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20137363

How's the skirt on the French lady in NY Harbor still holding...

Well, Ohio is so far ok around my area. Bit cold & windy out so far, it rained during late hours but very light in my area.

Falcon

WOW! wind, rain and lots of snow here in southwest Va. and it's cold! Glad it's over.

I cant get a hold of Fubar. Both his cell phone and home phone go right to voice mail. I'm worried.

Both he and Veltro last appeared here roughly at the same time.

hopefully they're ok. it aint exactly good times up there right now and will likely take a few days to get basics of life let alone modern life going.....

I just got a text from Fubar. All is well, just no power and roads are closed. Anyone hear from Veltro?

Does he have electric heating, or gas or oil? I had no power for 2 weeks after Andrew, and that was during the end of summer and it sucked. But we didn't have to worry about it being too cold, just sweating our asses off. Everything else is inconvenience, but not heat if it gets cold.

good to hear Fubars ok. you can bounce back from anything other than being six feet under. just checked Veltros WIP thread, would think he'd be posting away there if he''s able to with his "hurricane projects".....

Okay, its a sad situation for the people in the are which the storm hit. And i feel with them.

But be honest, how many problems are man made?

I dont speak about climate change or such rubbish.

I speak about houses made by thin wood. I speak about electricity lines (power lines) on wodden poles. I speak about trailer parks for mobile homes and and and. Nothing of it can withstand a major storm.

The american infrastructure is outdated in wide fields. Its vulnerable for storm.

Bring the powerlines 3 feets under the soil, build houses made by heavy stones (bricks) and build them weather proof. And a storm will hit your contry less hard.

Check www. NJ. Com for the local take on the storms aftermath

He's back! Spelling gives away phone input, but still, back!

Just checing in guys ..on my cell no power and will be none foe a few more days..got hit hard. Major damga to our homen but no injuries

glad you all made it now its time to rebluid may watt ever god you pray to be whit you all!

Okay, its a sad situation for the people in the are which the storm hit. And i feel with them.

But be honest, how many problems are man made?

I dont speak about climate change or such rubbish.

I speak about houses made by thin wood. I speak about electricity lines (power lines) on wodden poles. I speak about trailer parks for mobile homes and and and. Nothing of it can withstand a major storm.

The american infrastructure is outdated in wide fields. Its vulnerable for storm.

Bring the powerlines 3 feets under the soil, build houses made by heavy stones (bricks) and build them weather proof. And a storm will hit your contry less hard.

If this was Florida, I'd agree with you. But, the reason you don't see this in the NJ/NY is the same reason you don't see snow plow equipment in Miami...it just doesn't happen that often up there. Probability and frequency are low.

This is different from New Orleans, where frequency was low but proability was high.

FC

That is exactly what happened with Hurricane Andrew 20 years ago. Structures from the 60s and 70s, and even before, fared well (when canes were a regular threat and concern) while those from the 80s fell apart like cardboard (as the dearth of hurricanes over the preceding 20 years lulled the residents and construction companies into a false sense of security).

The state passed strict new construction regulations as a result. By and large, few homes built in the past 15 years have had major damage from these recent storms.

Ironically, about 10 years ago the construction industry was trying to push for a relaxation of the regulations because it was driving higher costs while housing prices were relatively flat. Luckily they didn't get their way, or the new homes built after would've been in major trouble in the 2004/5 barrage. Of course, the housing boom in 2005/6 caused the prices to shoot up so high they made tons of $$ a couple years later regardless.

Just checing in guys ..on my cell no power and will be none foe a few more days..got hit hard. Major damga to our homen but no injuries

Glad you are okay V2!