blah blah

Edited by Siggi

Ah. Thanks Hasse. :)

As far as I know, WOFF is not dead. Unfortunately its development seems to be moving literally at a glacial speed.

In case you didn't know, the sim has a new home forum now: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/89/1/Over_Flanders_Fields.html

I really dislike these posts. "new home" ouch. When struggling to survive my pulmonary embolism last year OFF moved during the downtime that happened while I was in a coma. I don't know what the best course of action is but this is a smack in the face after everything I've done for the community. If you're so unhappy here why do you continue using us for downloads and such? Oh maybe because SimHQ doesn't offer a system like ours? Hmmmm what a terrible situation you guys are in. I think dumping the lot and cutting ties might be the way to go.

• Like 1

Hey, Siggi's alive! Heard WM was ill, but AFAIK development of WOFF hasn't ceased or anything. Not much sign of progress in a while, though.

But you can get new OFF gameplay today by joining OFFworld: a, interactive multiplayer persistent campaign in a shared online squadron. It'd be perfect for something like the old DiD campaign, with no need to try to gather reports from everyone since y'all show up in the same roster together. And it's built on top of OFFice, which includes many features we've been waiting for from WOFF like more detailed and accurate maps, improved flight and damage models, tracking of flightmates' outcomes in flight, etc.

Since OBD's been refusing to take people's money for 4 years, figured there'd be a few people willing to chip in $12 for something that gives OFF a whole new lease on life... It's up and running right now, and it's fun! So if you really want to support active development of OFF, send me a PM.

As for the forum, it was a mess when CA when down for a long while with no word from anyone. Just dark. I understand why OBD moved, needing something they could count on being up for their business. But yeah SimHQ kinda sucks in comparison. Really no choice for us OFF modders to use CA for downloads, as requests to update files at SimHQ can go unanswered for weeks if at all.

No need to dump the lot and cut ties. SimHQ can be the "official" forum where the devs hang out and post official updates (remember those?), but the community forums will always be at CA.

I too use CA for anything OFF.  It is only if I have a specific Dev question do I post over at SimHQ.

It's a simple concept, where's the love? If your neighbor borrows your gas can to fill his lawn mower each week and he never bothers to return it full when it's empty, eventually you'll quit loaning him the can. Simple gestures of kindness, really and we all practice them.

I get to host the files, incur the costs of the downloads, bandwidth, disk space, advertising, SEO marketing, backing up and maintaining them and what do I get in return? Links to my competition. Where is the equality?

I understand the huge abyss of downtime lasting six days was horrible, just horrible. I pray SimHQ never has such issues where the cosmic clouds align and someone yanks the plug by accident while nobody is around who can do anything about it. It will happen. Machines can and do fail, systems fail, and in the end I pleaded with Winder and Polovski to reconsider, begged for forgiveness and took steps to ensure it would never happen again. We all make mistakes, mine was thinking I was too healthy to worry about such foolery as hospitals and dying.

In the end it's claims of "lost business revenue", "liability and dependability", 6 days gents, 6 days. You all have waited years for concept to reality. In six days I got  :fuck:   

Maybe it's time for this to come to a head, maybe I'll end up loosing in the end, who knows. What I want is for everyone to rally behind us and support us. The "new home" exists because you allow it, not because somebody gets stressed over 6 days. In the grand scale of things, what did I cost them? Wonder where they would be if people gave up hope easily and simply couldn't wait six days?

How can I say this any clearer? I want you all back. Period. End of story? :heat:  

• Like 2

I have a feeling that the "leadership" of the OFF crowd was promised the world by SlimeHQ. their are a lot of good guys over there but there are also some shady people in charge over their too. The OFF rank and file for the most part are good guys and I think they are stuck because their leaders have uprooted and moved. I think it was shameful the way OFF left. Things could have been done so much better and with much more class. Erik you have every right to feel slighted. you have sacrificed a lot for the many communities here and deserved a little more understanding from OFF leadership. it was their right to leave and there is 2 sides to every story but in my opinion there was more going on in the background that what they claimed.

• Like 1

There was and is more going on behind the scenes, there's no doubt in my mind. It was evident to me with what was said in the conversation between Winder, Polovski, and myself. Doug at SimHQ has been after our traffic since the day we opened our doors. It was the final gem stone in his faux crown to reach and strike for OFF while I was incapacitated. I will compare CombatACE against SimHQ any day of the week. I don't have to make promises, the concept is built. We were made from this community, constructed for this community, and designed with you all in mind. We don't use software that is outdated and we're designed for abuses that sometimes come our way. I'm not bitter and I'm not even petty. I advertise for Doug, you'll see his SimHQ logo on just about every page here. Free of charge, no mess, no hassle. Where's the war Doug? I missed it? Doubt you'll ever see a CA logo over there.

I don't want to bash SimHQ, sorry for transgressions,  they are a competitor and they offer different things, I respect them for that.

Something's up though, I agree.

I remember a couple years back when AVSIM crashed, taken offline by an disgruntle internal associate. They lost a ton of stuff and they had to rebuild from the ground up. I praised Tom for his courage to stand up and say wow we slipped up, shouldn't have happened, we're on to fixing it now. I even donated for the repairs, from my pocket from us at CombatACE not as just myself. I certainly wouldn't have emailed Tom's associates who use his forums, and shown them an exit strategy, even though they were down for weeks. I suppose it's just a different view, and a different class I hope to never grow into.

• Like 2

Erik, I said at the time I thought the move sucked donkey balls. You guys bent over backwards for OFF but it only took a little bit of a stumble for all that to be forgotten. I was not impressed. At all.

Siggi sorry I hijacked your thread. Bad form, I should be ashamed.

I really dislike these posts. "new home" ouch. When struggling to survive my pulmonary embolism last year OFF moved during the downtime that happened while I was in a coma. I don't know what the best course of action is but this is a smack in the face after everything I've done for the community. If you're so unhappy here why do you continue using us for downloads and such? Oh maybe because SimHQ doesn't offer a system like ours? Hmmmm what a terrible situation you guys are in. I think dumping the lot and cutting ties might be the way to go.

I have nothing to do with the OFF devs and their decisions. I was just pointing out that the new official forum is at SimHQ now. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. There's nothing I can do about it. I've always been happy here, but I feel that people also have a right to know where the official site is now. The devs are more active there. Again, that's their decision. I have no say in the matter.

If you want to get rid of this forum, well, I suppose you can do it with a press of a button. It's your site, after all.

Siggi sorry I hijacked your thread. Bad form, I should be ashamed.

I don't grasp the concept of 'thread hijacking'. Especially not when I agree with the sentiments expressed therein. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I have nothing to do with the OFF devs and their decisions. I was just pointing out that the new official forum is at SimHQ now. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. There's nothing I can do about it. I've always been happy here, but I feel that people also have a right to know where the official site is now. The devs are more active there. Again, that's their decision. I have no say in the matter.

If you want to get rid of this forum, well, I suppose you can do it with a press of a button. It's your site, after all.

Thank you for reminding me of the features here. I appreciate your view.

As to Siggi's remark I second that sentiment as you were ill and with that it is possibly fatal... but personally I will not use the site as it has nothing to offer me that I cannot get here and in better quality... but 6 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things... hope your feeling better Erik and all goes well...

I don't own or play OFF, but I am a fan of its community and what they have to say.

I do frequent SimHq just to make sure I don't miss any pertinent SF2/DCS topics, as there is a decent crowd over there that rarely or never migrated over here.

But I have no interest in what the OFF devs have to say.

So all of my OFF community knowledge comes from reading all the great posts by the guys that have stayed here.

I would hate to see the OFF community slighted by CombatAce to punish OFF devs/SimHQ for the previous events, but I agree with Erik:

They chose to migrate in a bad, very unfriendly way to SimHq, so SimHq should bear the burden of hosting all of the downloads.

Otherwise, they are getting free support after making it clear that they are all about revenues.

Maybe a bit idiotic, but I prefer to do unto others as they have done unto me rather than turning my cheek and setting a good example ;)

There won't be any slighting of the OFF community over a decision beyond their control. That was not the intent of my post this morning. The point is there's no loss to the OFF community because I haven't done anything. The forums and downloads are still here and we are still actively promoting OFF, but what is OFF doing for us? That is my entire point.

To the mention of do unto others ... well that would mean I'd have to just turn it all off and walk away decision made.

There won't be any slighting of the OFF community over a decision beyond their control. That was not the intent of my post this morning. The point is there's no loss to the OFF community because I haven't done anything. The forums and downloads are still here and we are still actively promoting OFF, but what is OFF doing for us? That is my entire point.

To the mention of do unto others ... well that would mean I'd have to just turn it all off and walk away decision made.

Hi Erik;

I have been following this thread with interest. I have been a member on your site since 2009 with interest specifically related to OFF. I still rely heavily on your site and it is my primary posting site in matters related to OFF. Since the migration to SIMHQ I started a membership there in order to follow the OFF migration but after experiencing the quality of the SIMHQ site I found it wanting in many areas and I raised questions and suggestions for improvement but nothing has come of it. I still use SIMHQ to stay abreast of anything new that might not make it to the OFF forums on your site CA.

All that being said, I appreciate your thoughts and the issues you have raised, but It is not clear to me just what exactly you would like to see happen to appease your concerns. Since most of the OFF community is not in a position to actually manifest any change or answer to your concerns, what would you propose as a constructive solution here? 

Yours Respectfully;

All that being said, I appreciate your thoughts and the issues you have raised, but It is not clear to me just what exactly you would like to see happen to appease your concerns. Since most of the OFF community is not in a position to actually manifest any change or answer to your concerns, what would you propose as a constructive solution here? 

I personally think you as "customers" under value your worth. I believe if there was a concise voice by the masses saying you want us we'll be over there --------------->   that's where the developers would go to post their news and keep their audience informed. The decision to follow the devs over there is noble but it's not going to do anything for those that follow. Will they get free copies of WOFF for following them over there? It's such a wishy washy reason to say well we're just going to follow because that's where we're going. The pilots I know chart their own course. Maybe I'm just brave, or stupid, enough to say something but if you want change it has to start somewhere.

Don't forget people can support Combat Ace by subscribing. CA certainly deserves it.

Lothar;

That's a valued comment and I thank you for it, but It's not clear to me that this is the issue Erik is speaking of. Never the less if that is the issue, I for one have no problem honoring it.

Best Regards;

I've been flying OFF for two years now and in my opinion, this site is way better than SimHQ. After starting a subscription over there, I realized how it lacked in comparison and after a dozen or so posts I made my way back here. I never did agree with the forum being officially moved. Stuff happens and I doubt whether it hurt sales after just 6 days but it is not my decision to make. Right or wrong, business owners need to make decisions for the sake of their business and I guess the OFF leaders felt it was the right decision.

I just wanted to say I really appreciate this great site Erik and I wanted to take a moment to thank you for all your hard work.

I personally think you as "customers" under value your worth. I believe if there was a concise voice by the masses saying you want us we'll be over there --------------->   that's where the developers would go to post their news and keep their audience informed. The decision to follow the devs over there is noble but it's not going to do anything for those that follow. Will they get free copies of WOFF for following them over there? It's such a wishy washy reason to say well we're just going to follow because that's where we're going. The pilots I know chart their own course. Maybe I'm just brave, or stupid, enough to say something but if you want change it has to start somewhere.

Your point is clear to me now if not to all the other readers and I thank you for that.

Maybe what we need here is a form of Petition to OBD Software from the clients of their OFF software, in which it is made clear that the OFF community find better value with CA and intend to stay here. Just how successful such a leverage will be is unclear but it needs someone with authority to set it up on the forum in order to have a chance of success; and then it has to be brought to the powers that be in OBD for consideration. It is clear to me they wish to sell their software and maybe it is time for the mountain to listen to mohammed!

I think all would agree that SIMHQ doesn't come close to providing anything near the effective features that CA does.

Best Regards;

I think you have the idea backwards, maybe? You are the mountain, the rock that ultimately will buy and fund the decisions. Mohammed is the one that has to bend and be flexible, anticipate the mountains moves so he may travel there safely where he will reward the mountain with his great creation and the mountain will release it's deepest closest secret, the pocket book.

If Ford said hey we're only going to be making this puke green color car this year because that's the paint we want to buy and if you guys don't like it tough cookies. I think Ford would be having some massive inventory reduction sales come July and August and there will be a whole lot of people riding around in things other than Fords.

If I can offer you nothing less, no home, no place to be, take away from here that you are a powerful commodity that businesses are lucky to have and should want to fight to earn their business.

With that said ... your comments are welcome but I think I've beat the dead into this horse.  :deadhorse:

Take care.

Erik, from the moment it was announced I felt the move of the 'official' OFF website to SimHQ was a very, very, VERY bad idea.  Not only was it a direct insult to you and the excellent services you had been providing, (and still provide), but it divided an already dwindling community.  I voiced my opinions as an individual but with no results other than to be told this is how it was going to be.  After stopping by the OFF forum at SimHQ to make my presence known I stated that I would still look to these forums as the true OFF community gathering place regardless of what the Brass Hats did.  I don't really visit the 'official' forums at all since shortly after they opened, and truth be told I don't post here much anymore either as we don't appear to be any closer to seeing WOFF released then we were when the devs moved the forums.  The comedy/tragedy is that the reason the devs gave for moving said forums in the first place was because they couldn't afford a lapse of a week at a point when they were so close to releasing their latest project.  Hmmmmm ... how long ago was this brouhaha?  Proof yet again that Einstein was correct; time is relative.

Two weeks everyone.  :grin:

Oh, and HELLOOOOOOOOOO Siggi!  Nice to see you mate.  Noticed you've been recently frustrated, (again), by the other WWI combat flight sim whose name must n'er be spoken in these halls.  If we could just take the best both have to offer and meld them into one super sim ... well ... if wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets in the sea.

Cheers!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert