Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

The Most Fun Car Chase Scene Ever

And probably the longest, was the "Eleanor" chase from the original gone in 60-seconds, filmed back in 1974. I've not seen the flick in quite a few years, and watching these videos was a pleasant surprise.

Enjoy!

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

• Like 2

What about the one from Bullitt? 

The Bullitt chase scene was not intended to be "fun".

"It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Craig

The Bullitt chase scene was not intended to be "fun".

True

Dave:

Great stuff. Interesting how many of the more memorable car chase scenes were done in the early-to mid-70's (or thereabouts).

The classics:

The Seven-Ups Car Chase

The French Connection Car Chase

Bullit - Chase Prelude

Bullit - Chase Part 1

Bullit - Chase Part 2

The Seven-Ups might not be familiar to everyone. It was a kind of follow-on to The French Connection and was directed by Philip D'Antoni, who was the producer on Bullit and The French Connection. Coincidence that all three films feature memorable car chases? Probably not.

Eric Howes

• Like 2

Another "meaningful" coincidence; The actor/stunt driver of the Pontiac Bonneville in the Seven Ups, was Bill Hickman, who was also the stunt driver/actor who drove the Charger R/T in Bulitt, and also drove the Pontiac Le Mans in The French Connection (as a stunt driver).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Hickman

The Bullit chase was sort of redone for the last episode of the Alcatraz series;

• Like 2

That short re-do of the Bullitt chase was actually pretty entertaining!  One of the things I love about older car chases is the lack of CGI.  While, yes, the camera cuts and the scene is edited together, everything you see is actually being done by a driver with a car.  There's that feeling of genuine danger you don't get with modern, "enhanced" sequences.  Looks like the folks on that show were trying to keep it as real as possible.

One of the things I love about older car chases is the lack of CGI.  While, yes, the camera cuts and the scene is edited together, everything you see is actually being done by a driver with a car.  There's that feeling of genuine danger you don't get with modern, "enhanced" sequences.  Looks like the folks on that show were trying to keep it as real as possible.

I agree, actually it was really dangerous back then.  IIRC the stuntman/director of the original Gone In 60 Seconds died in a crash during the making of the sequel which obviously was never completed after what happened.

Edited by blaze95

Too bad Alcatraz was cancelled, I wanted to see more of that actress.

A lot more.

Maybe because i had three of these pocket rockets, so I can imagine the sheer fun of throwing the Mini
around.... but this chase also is worth mentioning!

Here's the best chase scene in SF:

Edited by JediMaster