Sorry if this is addressed anywhere else, but are the balkans included on any existing SF2 terrain? I'd like to use a terrain with the mission building to fly sorties in the balkan airspace, but am having a hard time finding the terrain. I seem to recall that there was one floating around here somewhere. 

no

It`s strange that we dont have it, after all the years. We have every shit filled piece of earth from the last corner of the earth ... but not Balkan ...

• Like 3

One of these days I'll try and teach myself some modding. From my perspective, I wonder how difficult it would be to expand an existing Europe map/terrain a little bit. It may be damn near impossible for all I know (since I know nothing haha). But one of these days I'll take a look when life slows down a bit. Of course, by then, SF2 will be a "vintage" game, I'm sure. 

expand an existing Europe map/terrain a little bit. It may be damn near impossible

unfortunately, it is not possible. Without getting too technical, each map is based off a digital elevation model of x by y degrees (or km -can't remember which). That model is imported into the Terrain Editor (which was never finished, and lacks many functions).

After importation, it's then tiled -- and they never go where they should. The larger the terrain, the more work in hand placing every single tile for cites, mountains, forests, fields, oceans, rivers, airbases.

Then, you get to build each target area.

Not withstanding at the start of terrain creation, telling the TE at the start to expand the DEM by 120%.  If you don't, you're stuck with the "usual size" terrain of 63% of reality (the difference between a kilometer and a statute mile)

Hell, even the ability of kicking back The Wall, and expanding the usable terrain by 20-60 km has been removed (The Wall is 80km in the outer map edges).

As difficult as 3d modeling can be -including the nightmare of cockpit creation-, as creating a FM can be considered a black, Sorcerer's arcane art,  Map making is probably the hardest, most mind-numbing, brain-draining and frustrating thing that can be done. That's why there's so few of us.

And we're all quite mad.... :crazy:

• Like 1

And we're all quite mad.... :crazy:

'Tis a fine madness.... :blum:

Sorry if this is addressed anywhere else, but are the balkans included on any existing SF2 terrain? I'd like to use a terrain with the mission building to fly sorties in the balkan airspace, but am having a hard time finding the terrain. I seem to recall that there was one floating around here somewhere. 

YES

19447109409_1a4b06a084_o.jpg

19638159831_ce8f88df70_o.jpg

19447141279_e3fd95ce62_o.jpg

19011135794_bc75c83919_o.jpg

• Like 6

...Magnificent. Where can I find this?

Right now at my hard drive   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  , but it will be ready at Combat Ace in two weeks  :grin:

• Like 4

Right now at my hard drive   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  , but it will be ready at Combat Ace in two weeks  :grin:

That sounds awesome. I'll look forward to it. 

Looking forward to it, seems very promising, tiles are good considering they are generic for such a wide area, good job. 

I remember a rather old thread where Baltika was showing updates of his own Balkan terrain, but no updates recently, anyway IIRC Brain32 once gave him some hi-res tiles made from satellite images of the Balkans, maybe you can ask if someone has those, those tile templates could be useful at a later stage.

Nice and great work ;o) and I know its in very early status, just a little correction if you not mind.

Lake Balaton is a bit higher. I know I live 80km south of it.

the area is more in line with Banja Luka / Prijedor region in Bosnia.

post-30564-0-45217600-1437085362_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip Logan, I've just corrected some targets which were not matching their "real Life" location.

Now making the terrain nicer:

19829769416_0319fdd83a_o.jpg

19235060963_f75268c9d9_o.jpg

19848559742_f41028213d_o.jpg

19855973915_1649d9b55b_o.jpg

19829763876_1cdc300699_o.jpg

19233329044_abf3a8a47e_o.jpg

• Like 8

1995 Campaign is done and working. The terrain needs some tweeks, and once they are done I'll start with the 1999 campaign. I'm quite happy with the result and I hope to share with you this mod as soon as possible.

19863202056_63c47ce86e_o.jpg

• Like 5

Looking forward to it!

Will the terrain be navalized?

Naval features will be disabled by default because the navalized terrain did not work as I wanted.

Ah, so no carrier fun.  Oh well.  Still looking forward to the terrain.

This terrain would be great for some World War II campaigns also. You would need a completely different "movement", "nations",  "targets", and "types" INI files, among other things. However it would be great fo things like flying with the 15th Air Force out of Italy.

I believe the 15th Air Force flew missions in Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Greece, Albania, Yugoslavia, Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Bulgaria, and Romania. Of those this map is only missing southern Albania, Greece, Bulgaria and Romania. That is a lot of territory for USAAF campaigns in 1943-45. It would also work for Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica Italiana defensive campaigns from 1942-1945.      

Edited by KJakker

This is an important question guys.

Which SF2 installation has as stock the T-72A tank?