russouk2004

Why would aliens so far advanced visit us ?

The answer is simple.....

post-1981-0-95690800-1440977134_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 3

didn't Ford Prefect say they were just "teasers", college students off on a lark?

I am a firm believer that there is life out there in the universe. I would imagine that any race which has the means to travel throughout the galaxy or indeed the universe may be as curious about us, as we are as curious about them !!!!

In that case I will be for a peaceful comprehension of each other.

agbs2.gif

• Like 3

I am a firm believer that there is life out there in the universe. I would imagine that any race which has the means to travel throughout the galaxy or indeed the universe may be as curious about us, as we are as curious about them !!!!

Sorry for quoting myself, but I recently started looking into reports of extra-terrestrial activities and recently came across the story of the object which has been discovered by NASA in orbit around the earth which has been dubbed 'BLACK KNIGHT'. It is said that the object is regularly transmitting some kind of radio signals but we have no idea why and the object appears to be orbiting earth in a contrary orbit which is not found when natural objects are caught in the atmosphere by earth's gravity.

I cannot say that I believe it all - but could it be an alien probe which is monitoring the progress of our civilization from a distance, or maybee it is just an odd piece of junk which has not yet burned up. I don't really know.

You may have your own opinions. Post your ideas on the subject of alien life and let us know what you think.

In 1986, an alien was short on Uranium, he landed close to a Uranium station and refilled, but he was drunk and damaged the station.

He does not remember the name of the station, something like Chernobyl ....

Edited by jeanba
  • Like 2

Curiosity, if we're lucky. Otherwise, our future becomes very bleak...if we even have one.

I believe that it would be shortsighted and extremely misguided to believe that there is NO ONE else in the entire universe except us. If there were no other life (in whatever form or fashion), why else would it be there? We certainly don't have the ability to get to what is out there yet, and it can't exist just for killer wallpapers from NASA. We have no idea of how long life's been around in the galaxy, how long any other beings or civilizations have existed, what their level of development is, and what they are capable of. I think as a species, we make the mistake of forgetting that even on our own planet, we are not the only existing life form, and the VAST majority of them neither look or think like us. But we seem to insist on applying our rather limited vision(s) of "life" to the rest of the cosmos, and exhibiting an extreme amount of xenophobia about what may be out there.

I'm not sure about what is out there, but I think we do need to practice one hell of a lot more caution about broadcasting our whereabouts into the vast unknown. After all, history has shown quite bluntly what happens when indigenous people's are exposed to a society more technologically advanced than their own. And in this conversation, we are talking about untold magnitudes of sophistication that we couldn't begin to dream of. After all, if they can get here across interstellar distances, and solving all the nightmarish technical problems along the way, they are a LOT smarter than us. And meeting that race is what terrifies me to no end.

Because my biggest fear is that we may find out that the rest of the universe is populated by beings just like us.

Edited by Nightshade/PR

Science likes to think it's because of liquid water.

Putting my alien cap on... I couldn't think of any good reason why I'd want to visit this place. Other than to observe how not to be a society and to learn that even among the most backward of civilizations there are beautiful things they do. I think I would be more interested in the wildlife, the way the society employs its resources (and by society I mean all hoomons as a whole). I'd keep my distance and use drones though (bacteria kill quicker than bullets). I'd study the arts, buildings, monuments. I'd observe the terrain of the planet, rivers, and caves. I wouldn't be impressed too much with the society though. Though it would be interesting to see how they live their lives, maybe some things they do could be useful but then maybe not.

Sometimes though in some sci fi stories I write... I just have aliens ignoring us. We're the stupid backward people that couldn't hold an intelligent conversation. Why make contact with humans, they can't even tolerate themselves so how would they tolerate me? If I were to communicate and say something wrong and they found offensive they wouldn't be patient to correct me, they would just attack me and call me homophobic, or transphobic, or whateverphobic. They wouldn't take the time to understand what I'm trying to say. They jump to conclusions and make accusations and take action on those accusations without evidence or forethought.

hopefully not because they are hungry..........................

• Like 1

Perhaps our definition of life is too narrow by what we see on earth to understand what events or something could really be that kind of alien. Solaris comes to mind, and it may even be too familiar to òur concept of life.

hopefully not because they are hungry..........................

:grin: HA!!!!!!

Perhaps our definition of life is too narrow by what we see on earth to understand what events or something could really be that kind of alien. Solaris comes to mind, and it may even be too familiar to òur concept of life.

And given our propensity to shoot 1st and lie about what questions we asked later, we may be better off (right now) that we haven't met any aliens so far. Expanding our definition of life might require more willingness to embrace the differences in the universe than most humans are willing to allow.

And given our propensity to shoot 1st and lie about what questions we asked later, we may be better off (right now) that we haven't met any aliens so far. Expanding our definition of life might require more willingness to embrace the differences in the universe than most humans are willing to allow.

True.

People are too narrow minded these days ... too narrow minded. They say they're open minded ... they think they are ... but after looking at the news feeds for this morning. I don't see a society that's open minded enough to think on that level.

But if they wanted to attack and destroy this civilization ... Sun Tzu himself couldn't find a better opportunity. Everyone is fighting everyone over everything ... who will notice the flleet shwoing up?

Putting my invading alien cap on:

Honestly with this society I think I can take this planet with one bullet. Or maybe not depends on how I feel about the last remaining human.

Looking at this from a different angle..............

We assume that another (advanced) civilization wants to invade us for whatever......nefarious reasons that "aliens" have for showing up. (Women, booze, peaches, cheap land in Wisconsin?) But suppose they took a good long look at our species, and decided that the potential for our unleashing a living hell on the rest of the universe if we continue to progress down the technological path we are on, just isn't worth the risk of letting us survive as a species? Killing us off may not even be something they see as anything other than a version of self-preservation in the face of a looming/potential threat.

That's the reasoning from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) and it doesn't hold up.  

We're currently limited to our own planet, with a brief excursion to our own satellite, and we're a LONG way away from having self-sustaining colonies off world that would preserve humanity even if Earth was lost. By the time we make it that far, who knows what state we'll be in? In other words, we're not even close to a threat to anyone unless they land here. To preemptively wipe us out because some day we may be a threat in some places is ridiculous and clearly the reasoning of a xenophobic and hostile culture. It's not self-defense any more than executing a toddler because it had criminal parents so you think it will grow up to be not only a criminal, but a murderous one.

I have to disagree.

That may be reasonable to a member of our species, but to try applying that same reasoning to another, unknown and clearly non-earth-like species is dangerous. They may BE a warlike, hostile and xenophobic culture. We certainly are, so who's to say that mindset isn't common in the universe? We don't know who or what we are going to run into, so to assume some benevolent logic just because of advanced technology, or any assumption at all, is fraught with untold dangers.

As it hasn't happened yet, we're all guessing at maybe's, and no one opinion holds sway over any others. We could all be right, after a fashion, or completely wrong after that same fashion.

I am keeping my mind (and options, limited as they are) open to all possibilities.

I have to disagree.

That may be reasonable to a member of our species, but to try applying that same reasoning to another, unknown and clearly non-earth-like species is dangerous. They may BE a warlike, hostile and xenophobic culture. We certainly are, so who's to say that mindset isn't common in the universe? We don't know who or what we are going to run into, so to assume some benevolent logic just because of advanced technology, or any assumption at all, is fraught with untold dangers.

As it hasn't happened yet, we're all guessing at maybe's, and no one opinion holds sway over any others. We could all be right, after a fashion, or completely wrong after that same fashion.

I am keeping my mind (and options, limited as they are) open to all possibilities.

I think that they are observing us from a distance and are waiting for the opportunity to communicate with us. It is unlikely that they will want to make contact with us whilst we are at war with ourselves. (At any given time there are about twenty wars or border conflicts taking place on earth, mostly in the Middle-East).  I also think that they are already here and have isolated themselves in the most secret places on earth such as the Area 51 underground complex which can be found tucked away in the Nevada Desert in the U.S. which if I am correct, is even off limits to the President himself. So what does that tell you.

My additional supposition. If they have a drive system which allows them to navigate the stars and travel throughout the galaxy and visit us here on earth, it would be stupid for them to give mankind a drive system which would allow him to travel throughout space and export war to other star systems. It would be akin to giving a child a loaded gun. We need to solve our differences here on earth before we can be allowed go out there amongst the stars. !!!!

RUSTYMORLEY

Edited by RUSTYMORLEY

Because they think its funny to shove stuff up our butts.

• Like 1

Well here is one fictional example of an alien exploration ship visiting Earth. Take a listen to the BBC audio drama of the Iain M. Banks novella The State of the Art.

There’s always the chance that we are being watched, our evolution monitored closely, and despite that possibility, I’m a firm believer that in order to survive, we need to be a multi-planet species, so spreading out across the galaxy / universe is necessary. Not putting all our eggs in one basket, and all that jazz…..in case the worst of cosmic scenarios should come to pass.

Because I believe that there are dangers beyond imagining out there, and we’d best be prepared to meet them head on, since anyone we meet along the way is will already have survived the worst the universe could throw at them, and advanced. They’ll be some of the toughest, smartest, brightest, and possibly the most fearless of universal survivors, and our best bet might be to find a way to stay out of sight until we can meet them on an equal footing.

For us, that means leaving behind the TV mindset that we’ll somehow beat them with a computer virus, or the flu-bug, or some other unrealistic foolishness, and deciding that if we’re going to go out there into the deep dark, WE need to some of the smartest, toughest, and innovative denizens in the galaxy: as well as being ready to fight like all that’s holy to survive it, should that option become necessary.

Edited by Nightshade/PR

Well,in my opinion,they ARE watching us thinking...." If they are happy to kill each other,god help us if they get to travel in space one day,we better make sure they dont get that far"....