Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

SPAD 11 - WIP

Back in July, Capitaine Vengeur asked for a SPAD two seater. I've been working on a SPAD 11, off and on, for about six weeks. The model is pretty much done, I'm working on the skins and decals now. The cockpit is coming together, but still needs a lot of work.

post-67404-0-22760700-1444586559.jpg

post-67404-0-51704700-1444586572.jpg

post-67404-0-18840600-1444586582.jpg

post-67404-0-66512200-1444586600.jpg

post-67404-0-58161900-1444586611.jpg

• Like 2

Beau!! While I'm yearning for the remotorized version SPAD 16, careful work always beats hurried work. Please take as time as needed to polish these magnificent birds. Bravo again!

• Like 1

Beau!! While I'm yearning for the remotorized version SPAD 16, careful work always beats hurried work. Please take as time as needed to polish these magnificent birds. Bravo again!

I will do the SPAD 16 after this one is finished. The planes are so similar it seems like the logical thing to do. It will take some time because the real world is very busy for me lately.

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 1

There are no words, to describe my admiration!

• Like 1

You are the best.

Edited by Heck
  • Like 1

And yet, the engine and the exhaust pipes of this your plane will be fixed or animated?

Apparently, you have not understood my question. I meant that at some stock planes the work of the engine is accompanied by animation. The motor of the Fokker D.VII shivered, for example, and the exhaust pipes of the SPAD-13 noticeably vibrate. It's a rather nice feature, although from this there is no practical use, of course.

I have noticed that the exhaust pipes on the SPAD 7 and SPAD 13 vibrate when the engine is running. But it seems to me that if they vibrated that much, they would eventually break. It's a nice effect, but not very realistic, so no, my exhaust pipes won't be animated.

• Like 1

I have noticed that the exhaust pipes on the SPAD 7 and SPAD 13 vibrate when the engine is running. But it seems to me that if they vibrated that much, they would eventually break. It's a nice effect, but not very realistic, so no, my exhaust pipes won't be animated.

Factually correct.  No engine will run very long if it is vibrating that much.  It indicates something is badly out of balance/alignment.  I'm guessing Third Wire used excessive vibration because it looked cool, not because it was realistic. 

Same with gun muzzle flashes.  Any veteran will tell you that muzzle flash is usually seen only in low light conditions.  But, many sims deliberately show excessive muzzle flash because gamers have been conditioned by Hollywood to expect it.  Video below shows .50 cal firing - there is smoke but no flash.

http://www.military.com/video/guns/machine-guns/the-m2-machine-gun/3015650566001/

• Like 1

Nice video, Geezer. Thanks for sharing. Totally agree, Stephen. If my engine were vibrating that much in real life, I'd be looking for a safe place to land before it caught fire, or threw a rod.

Well, Guys, you're absolutely right. Indeed, in reality such an exaggerated vibration would destroy the machine in flight. I admit that very strong vibration could be a few seconds at startup of the engine, but not during all the flight, unless I'm greatly in error. Of course, I don't insist that exhaust pipes of your plane were shaking like crazy. Moreover, Third Wire soon abandoned the use of this effect. The exhaust pipes of the SPAD-7 does not vibrate - in contrast to SPAD-13 from the original game.

Thankr for the reply, Guys!

• Like 1

I'm making progress on the SPAD 11. The model and cockpit are done, the skins are done, I've made some decals for French and Belgian planes. I still have to make the LODs, get the node names, dimensions, etc. into the data file, and handle all the tedious details to make it ready for First Eagles.

post-67404-0-13351700-1445492521.jpg

post-67404-0-25386900-1445492527.jpg

post-67404-0-52255300-1445492533.jpg

post-67404-0-21727300-1445492541.jpg

post-67404-0-60570400-1445492548.jpg

post-67404-0-08356200-1445492556.jpg

post-67404-0-72610700-1445492562.jpg

• Like 4

More excellent work!.  Nice cockpit too.

• Like 1

It's the only only way,

It's the only trick to play;

He's the only hun, you're the only pup'

And he's only getting the wind right up,

So go on and do not stop

'Till his tails damn near your prop,

If he only crashes this side in flames,

Well, you'll only know they'll believe your claims,

So keep him tight in your Aldis sight,

It's the only only way! )))

Splendid! Thank you, Stephen!

• Like 1

I uploaded the SPAD 11 this afternoon. It's waiting for administrator approval. The plane has three skins - a French linen, a French camo, and a Belgian camo - with  appropriate squadron decals. It also has a loadout for eight 115mm bombs carried under the wings. My thanks to ojcar for the FM and for making constructive suggestions.

The SPAD 16 is coming soon.

Edited by Stephen1918

Steve -

You've really captured the look of the aircraft.  

SPAD two seaters (11 and 16) were never able to match the earlier success of the single seaters (7 and 13).  As you pointed out, they weren't agile enough to be a fighter.  Not too surprising when you think about it, as the single seaters weren't known for their agility either.

Another excellent job.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

This is one nice plane. Great addition for the French.

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen, an great addition and an really good model. It's an wonderful looking biplane, with the cockpit and nose modelling especially nicely done.

• Like 1

Good work, Stephen! Thanks.

Whether enters into your plans to make for the SPAD-16 a moving aileron pushrods? These parts moved in reality. Pay your attention how it is realized by the stock SPADs in FE.

post-89859-0-81463500-1446401925.jpg

• Like 1