Fubar512

Dutch Police Training Eagles to Take Down Drones

I see your drone, and raise you one Eagle.

• Like 2

Could work with smaller plastic units, but the birds might get seriously hurt if they encounter a high end drone or metal prop version.

Quite a risk for such rare species. I hope they taking these into consideration.

People with bad intentions could prep their unit such way that the bird will have broken legs or even losing them when they attempt to bring those down.

Easier to use a gun or directed emp, the same way like they can disable modern car systems.

How do you train them to get a girl's phone number?

That is very interesting! I'm with logan4. What's the plan when something bigger comes along? Or if people get really inventive in a cruel way? That is so cool though. I like how the eagle hops away with the drone as if it's saying "this is mine now ... you don't get it back".

Could work with smaller plastic units, but the birds might get seriously hurt if they encounter a high end drone or metal prop version.

Quite a risk for such rare species. I hope they taking these into consideration.

People with bad intentions could prep their unit such way that the bird will have broken legs or even losing them when they attempt to bring those down.

Easier to use a gun or directed emp, the same way like they can disable modern car systems.

Logan4, if you check on Youtube, you'll find numerous videos of hawks and falcons attacking drones. So I agree that this is a valid concern, and I'm sure that they'll be a public outcry as soon as a few raptors wind up getting injured by larger drones.

BTW, where's Logan 5, Francis 7, and Jessica 6 at?  :biggrin:

Edited by Fubar512

BTW, where's Logan 5, Francis 7, and Jessica 6 at?  :biggrin:

My alias comes from area00 times. correct would be logan or loganb4.

Since I know you just kidding, well we only have francis87 or francis07, no jessica6 but we do have logan5 and few others with that alias beginning. Although not sure where they are since none of them made any posts yet... but we should keep a party.

back to topic.

Yes, I've seen some of those recordings and glad we agree on the threat. Those birds attack them as guarding "their" territory, but these in the article are trained to do just that. True the hazard exists on its own already, but increasing the odds of happening is just human nature and fore thoughtlessness. Which could be considered fine among general populace as we are sooo used to it, but might not everyone shares the same ideas.

With this much we can train vipers to get our properties free of rodents since most of humanity seem to like better indoor cats that runaway when they see a mouse and vipers feed on rodents, so its a win-win situation. Sure they gonna bite occasionally few kids or adults, but that's fine, those were just ignorant of the presence of the viper.

The problem is not their basic intention - which is acceptable in certain situations - , just the fact that they not always think through all solutions or consequences of their act. See refugee/immigrant situation in Europe, but I do not intend to derail this topic so I leave it at that.

Most people think wild life is disposable, yet majority would cry for weeks when their indoor pets are gone for good.

Wilde life and nature that makes this planet go around as life concerned, it is not the humans with their constant damages to nature or ourselves. We would not exist without them even if we have domesticated animals for food or vegetables we can grow in our backyards (well for those who have one at all), we have no ways to replace the insects in the rainforest or do their work, no ways to repopulate the oceans and the seas with life if that is gone, etc. 

I know eagles, hawks and other predatory birds are kept for hunting in many places of the world, which is fine to a degree as they still get a part of their prey even if they are in captivity. This attempt in the article just want to exploit their natural behavior and ability, but the difference is, a duck, a rabbit/hare, deer, etc would seldom able to cause damage to the birds, yet the drone tech is going in a direction where has bigger potential to injure or kill the predator and that is a big point.

True we can bring up the K9-s whom are trained to find bombs and explosives and several of them vanishes in the process. We can always justify, saving "human lives" is worth it, but are we that much more important/valuable then to not consider a life of an other being whom we become friends and "team members" and work with for years during our duty/job, who trust as and depend on us in return, same just like any other human comrad?

Edit.corrected type-o

Edited by logan4

Lol...my bad... Unfortunately never heard of it, or if I saw it was probably under other title. Will try to search for it on the weekend.

Bad idea, looking to have a lot of bird's "clipped" and permanently f-ed up, particularly since a lot of larger RC aircraft now use carbon fiber or metal reinforced props.

Then again someone has to justify the time and money spent for all of the faux panacea. "Ohh scary technology that I refused to pay attention to for the past 70 years"

Edited by ironroad

I've found that 00 buck is more effective on drones.......

I would think some chain or scale maille armor could be developed for the birds extremities, even those plastic blades hurt. I have to agree double 0 drops them like butter on hot toast.  :crazy:  :hunter:

• Like 2

I had a crazy far out thought. Have a drone hunter. Fly around and shoot other drones down. Enforce a little no fly zone or something.

• Like 1

I had a crazy far out thought. Have a drone hunter. Fly around and shoot other drones down. Enforce a little no fly zone or something.

With all the panacea and paranoia, you probably could convince a federal or state government entity to give you funding for this.

Sure the result would be a rain of lead, parts, and other debris on the streets below but the fact that it would make an agency "look" like they are solving a non-existent problem would be enough to satisfy many.

Edited by ironroad

Agree, the birds could be hurt by rotating propeller blades, and even killed it the drone is very large and has powerful propeller motors. This needs to be looked at more. I am suprised that the RSPCA or the RSPB have not stepped in to stop this already.

I am amazed at some peoples view of animals - that they are there to be exploited and used just for our benefit and it don't matter if a few birds get killed or maimed. !!!!!

This should be stopped before some birds get maimed. !!!!

Edited by RUSTYMORLEY
  • Like 1

With all the panacea and paranoia, you probably could convince a federal or state government entity to give you funding for this.

Sure the result would be a rain of lead, parts, and other debris on the streets below but the fact that it would make an agency "look" like they are solving a non-existent problem would be enough to satisfy many.

Hey I like where you head is at because the government has funded billions of dollars on research about how cows fall in love, even more billions into teleportation technology, so yeah I'll uh draft something and see what comes of it.

You can take it for granted that the Dutch Police take the welfare of the animal very seriously. The "interceptions" take place within sight and if the drone is too big or dangerous, gunfire or other options will be used.   

Derk,

My concern is with "wild" birds encountering drones, and not those that are trained are trained for falconry. I'm sure that the authorities  would take steps to prevent injuring their avian partners, as they do with their service dogs.

Raptors from merlin size on up to eagles are prone to defending their territories, as are members of the corvid family (ravens, crows, jays, etc), so the potential for injury is pretty widespread.