The rocky southcoast of the Crimean Peninsula.

img00126.thumb.JPG.ac57afa5b2e777d14933b03330a7f60a.JPG

img00127.thumb.JPG.34722c7ef158ca3c2c52ba84fc4bb7f5.JPG

The rock tiles are taken from Angola terrain and merged with existing woodland and coast tiles.

The coastline still need some corrections. Water climbing the hill is not intended.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 8

SitRep:

Street network of the Crimean Peninsula is layed out. The tiling of river Donez has started, the first marking points for the river tiles are now on the map. (If you look carefull on the map below you will find a blue dotted line, which is difficult to see, starting at the end of the Asowian Sea. Thats it.) In a next step i will connect this points so that the river Donez will be present on the map.

The tiling of the rocky south coast of the Crimean Peninsula is finished.

The planning map now looks so:

Donbass_PlanningMap2.thumb.jpg.ebec9e3ad208713281cc0209a600a7ee.jpg

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

SitRep:

River Donez is now placed on the map. It is a boring job, but so it is.

Donbass_screenshot_000.thumb.jpg.a7db1b8db8dd16237bccc5a251043a02.jpg

Next step will be to place some side rivers of the Donez on the map.

To the names on the map. Because it is a disputed area with russian and ukrainian names i will use the german names of the rivers and towns of that area. My source is the book "Verlorene Siege" by Feldmarschall Erich von Manstein, who fought from 1942 to 1944 in that area.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Use both names with a slash for historical sake.

15 hours ago, Wilches said:

Use both names with a slash for historical sake.

This will be funny long: Saporischja / Saporoschje / Saporischschja

• Haha 2

SitRep:

Some siderivers of the river Donez are now on the map.

Donbass_screenshot_000.thumb.jpg.713946aa7700ff9d18fd16ce589e3561.jpg

Slowly the terrain get a shape.

If i place the russian airfields at the Crimean Peninsula and the ukrainian airfields at Mariupol, Berdjansk and Cherson as placeholder, i could release a Beta version of the terrain, so that an airfield vs airfield scenario around the Crimean Peninsula would be possible.

If work goes well,  the early Beta could come on sunday?

What do you think?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That's cool with me as I can't wait to fly it...

I have a request ...

when the time comes to populate the cities, can you add Barashi in Ukraine??? That's where my maternal grandparents (and greats-grandparents) were from. Also some aunts, before my grandmother and 2 older aunts emigrated to America in the 1920s.

thank you       :drinks:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

I have a request ...

when the time comes to populate the cities, can you add Barashi in Ukraine??? That's where my maternal grandparents (and greats-grandparents) were from. Also some aunts, before my grandmother and 2 older aunts emigrated to America in the 1920s.

Do you mean the village Barashi in Schitomir distrikt?

I think so. According to google maps,  it's about 2/3s the way from Kyiv to the Polish border

The wording Kyiv for Kiev is funny. Who comes to the idea to translate the urkrainian letter "i" with a "y"? Okay, they have a second "i" which looks in cyrillic alphabet so "и".

But to make "Київ" to "Kyiv" is strange. Some say, that "Kiev" is the russian name of that town. Thatswhy it should not be used anymore. But this is wrong. The russian name is "Киев". The thrid letter "e" is not an english "e" but a "ye", so the correct translation from russian " Киев " into english would be "Kiyev". But in english the name of the town is "Kiev" and the german name is "Kiew". Thatswhy the wording "Kyiv" is nonsense.

Edited by Gepard

well, i'm an american -- we pronounce EVERYTHING wrong!!!!:biggrin:

• Haha 2

On 12/05/2022 at 6:48 PM, Wrench said:

I have a request ...

You mean they're not from Anatevka?  ;) 

• Haha 1

SitRep:

Some airfields are now on the map. Some more will come later. All airfields are still sceletons. Only the runway, nothing more.

Donbass_PlanningMap3.thumb.jpg.09d1ee437b024718a1a8a44cbd07d393.jpg

Edit:

I had to rework the airfield locations. The target editor tool deleted all remarks i had made and so some airfields were gone. I have included them now again and added some more. It are now 13 blue and 13 red bases. I think 3 more red bases still must come, Taganrog, Rostow and Morski, all are located at the eastern banks of the Azovian Sea.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for delay. My plan to release a Beta version of the terrain was prevented by real life. So progress was slower than anticipated.

I started to make the first ukrainian airfields from scratch. Starting from east to west.

Here: Mariupol, Berdjansk and Melitopol.

img00136.thumb.JPG.5a7052edd1768268cf3097dfd99fcab9.JPG

img00135.thumb.JPG.ee622a53ab181448999e3a12161988fb.JPG

img00133.thumb.JPG.b76df146e07ea1b929fa7dfc9719156d.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I was going to post something but decided to wait and see what was going on. The aerodromes look good, even if it's just the start

I hope the seasons tiles will be included. Awesome work so far!

• Like 1

The Soviets built very large airfields. But astonishingly there are no hardened aircraft shelters or other protection buildings.

img00134.thumb.JPG.ae228b1377ac634dc7ea8e54fed65fe2.JPG

img00137.thumb.JPG.71270bed91ff95bf3b49eac83cbf9d6f.JPG

• Like 8

SitRep:

I changed the colors of the taxiways. They are now lighter and easier to see from sky. Then i finished the giant airbase of Nikolajew East. It needs the entire space of 4 tiles, which means 4 x 4 kilometers.

img00125.thumb.JPG.cfe08376da2ccd521e554284129109d2.JPG

img00126.thumb.JPG.173aa9adb3677b634c8b10e230c2f821.JPG

img00128.thumb.JPG.d05f4f4fd3e72962d1260ed4851eea98.JPG

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 7

Next airbase: Kriwoi Rog

img00119.thumb.JPG.ca926288716aca7e56e0e709e0759229.JPG

img00120.thumb.JPG.69965fd6a9f27d9a97a4eafc8e114ac8.JPG

I have a litte problem with the shelters. I placed shelter2, that is the u-shaped wall, at the flat concrete areas. If i fly over this shelters at the certain altitudes they disappear below the concrete areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gepard said:

I have a litte problem with the shelters. I placed shelter2, that is the u-shaped wall, at the flat concrete areas. If i fly over this shelters at the certain altitudes they disappear below the concrete areas.

Usual z-buffer issues. Make sure that the 3d models of your concrete bits have the same statements of stock TW runways in the _types.ini. I don't recall exactly the names of some properties, but one was about being flat and the other about a z-buffer offset.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Menrva said:

Usual z-buffer issues. Make sure that the 3d models of your concrete bits have the same statements of stock TW runways in the _types.ini. I don't recall exactly the names of some properties, but one was about being flat and the other about a z-buffer offset.

Thanks. I will try it.

SitRep:

I started to place the very big river Dnepr on the map. It has big reservoirs, you can say it are big artificial lakes, created by big dams. As a first step i placed single sea tiles to mark the way of the river and the big lakes on the map.

Donbass_PlanningMap3.thumb.jpg.e9d890d9938fe70a4b418e9edeb997ea.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gepard said:

Thanks. I will try it.

Today I just resumed some terrain modding, so I had a look at what you should add to all your concrete taxiway 3d models. Check the below statements in bold.

[TargetType027]
Name=Runway1
FullName=Runway
ModelName=airfield1.lod
TargetType=MEDIUM_RUNWAY
ActiveYear=0
TargetValue=1000
UseGroundObject=FALSE
DamagePoint=140.0
ArmorValue=0.0
ArmorType=0
RepairRate=10.0
StartDetectChance=100
StartIdentifiedChance=50
IncreaseDetectChanceKey=10
MaxVisibleDist=50000.0
ZBufferOffset=6.000000
FlatObject=TRUE
DamagedModel=
DestroyedEffect=
DestroyedModel=
SecondaryChance=0

Keep up the great work! I know well how tiring and annoying adding roads, rivers and lakes could be, still have the Balkans in my hard drive waiting for more work. On a real scale terrain like yours it's even more time-consuming, so big respect for what you're doing. :drinks:

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

Will you connect the airbases to the road network? It always looked strange to see those big bases sitting isolated from the world.

• Like 1

On 23.5.2022 at 3:47 PM, Stratos said:

Will you connect the airbases to the road network? It always looked strange to see those big bases sitting isolated from the world.

It is intended. So far i have streets placed only at the Crimean Peninsula. They are connected with the airfield placeholders, as you see in the screenshot below:

img00121.thumb.JPG.5195cb2d834a77c0cb8fada175722545.JPG

When finished this will be the two airfields close to the town of Simferopol at Crimean Peninsula.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1