6 hours ago, JamesWilson said:

This is outstanding info!!!

How did you get those? Is there any link or source? I'm looking for so long for infos regarding 1st and 2nd Gulf of Sidra Incidents and i can't find much, it's like the dynamics have already

Here the libyan view: https://warisboring.com/the-libyans-describe-a-different-version-of-their-1981-battle-with-the-u-s-navy/

It comes from a book by Tom Cooper Libyan Air Wars, Volumes 1 & 2.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gepard said:

These books are the next thing i'm gonna buy.

Even tho the "knownl" official version was the real one, it's still amazing to read as much perspectives as you can and know history from all of its sides, the more you know!

Thanks!

20 hours ago, csb said:

Not quite. I will divide into 2 SEPERATE activities.

1) When you use WE to change missiles, WE makes these changes to copies of the ini's and saves the copies for use. WE does NOT make changes to ini's in the cat files.

Edit AA-2 missile in WE and then save. This creates a folder called AA-2 (with edited ini's inside) in the correct place in the mods folder. That is all, you are finished with this missile change. Do not touch the ini's in the folder. In game the AA-2 has new parameter changes.

This is how you edit missile ini's - not manually in notepad.

If you want to make more changes or adjust your changes for the missile then again use the WE to make changes and WE will edit the copies.

If you want to reset the missile to default then just delete the folder with ini's inside. The game will use original ini's (which are actually in the cat files).

For your scenario; in the WE look at these parameters - Timer delay & min range (possibly reduce this distance). There may be others to change and experiment with.

Note: I got carried away. You just want to change AA-2 to all aspect. I got mixed up and gave info for if changed guidance type. So after you do above then that is it. You do not need to make edits to aircraft data ini's.

I left in the catextractor explanation below just for useful info.

2) The CE, however, makes copies of the ini's in the cat files and puts the copies in a folder, created by CE, called Extracted files in the Saved Games folder, next to the SF mods folder. Then user can edit the ini's in notepad and place in suitable sub folders in the SF mods folder. So all CE does is make a copy of ini - it does not edit.

You are editing copies of ini's made by CE and same for WE, it edits copies. No changes are permanent because you can delete the copies and game will use originals.

Hey i tried using the WE but when searching for the AA-2 Atoll folder i find out there's none, but the weapon in-game is still selectable and usable. There's no AA-2 Atoll folder in weapons. How's that?

How can i change the parameters of a weapon that is in-game but no where to find it?

And i tried using the CAT extractor, but when selecting a cat file it says "error opening this .CAT file, no files can be extracted", no matter what CAT i choose...

And btw i tried equipping the Su-22 with AA-8 Aphids, that if i understood correctly they're all-aspect, but even then the Su-22s didn't fire them.

Is it sure they would fire if i change rear to all-aspect for the Atoll, with some shootin distance editing too, and make the Sukhois use them instead? Or they would just pass by shooting guns like they already do?

Thank you

Go to the Objects folder in your install. Look for a file called WEAPONDATA.INI and make a copy of it in case you make a mistake while editing it. This contains the weapon data for the weapons included in the base install. You can search for the AA-2 by using CTRL-F. Individual weapons are overwritten by the folders in the Objects\Weapons folder. So, if there is no AA-2 folder the computer will use the data from the WEAPONDATA.INI file. It is the same data but in a long numbered list with over 100 weapons. In my WEAPONDATA.INI file the AA-2 is [WeaponData141]. Yours may vary. You can change the GuidanceType=10 or any other statement as you see fit.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Righteous26 said:

Go to the Objects folder in your install. Look for a file called WEAPONDATA.INI and make a copy of it in case you make a mistake while editing it. This contains the weapon data for the weapons included in the base install. You can search for the AA-2 by using CTRL-F. Individual weapons are overwritten by the folders in the Objects\Weapons folder. So, if there is no AA-2 folder the computer will use the data from the WEAPONDATA.INI file. It is the same data but in a long numbered list with over 100 weapons. In my WEAPONDATA.INI file the AA-2 is [WeaponData141]. Yours may vary. You can change the GuidanceType=10 or any other statement as you see fit.

Thanks for helping me.

I just checked and i have no "WEAPONDATA.INI" file.

I think i checked everywhere but there's none, that's very weird.

I never used that file but i know it should always be there. I'm pretty sure didn't delete it.

Is it hiding somewhere?

I must have gotten it out of the cat files with the cat Extractor. Here is mine. Just copy it to your Objects folder. I have also included the GUNDATA.INI file. It contains the information for all the guns in the game. Put it in the Objects folder as well.

WEAPONDATA.INI

GUNDATA.INI

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Righteous26 said:

I must have gotten it out of the cat files with the cat Extractor. Here is mine. Just copy it to your Objects folder. I have also included the GUNDATA.INI file. It contains the information for all the guns in the game. Put it in the Objects folder as well.

WEAPONDATA.INI

GUNDATA.INI

Oh thank you very much.

How did you find those?

And how did you manage to make CAT extractor work? Mine doesn't and can't open any files.

It says the thing you saw in the other Topic i opened.

Is there a way to fix that?

Do you know by any chance why i can't find those 2 .INI files and why the CAT extractor doesn't work?

Posted (edited)

James  where is the extractor installed?

My catextractor installed itself to a folder, it created, called Utilities and located this in the Thirdwire folder in Programs Files (x86) - next to Strike Fighters folder.

Local Disc c:/Program Files X86/Thirdwire/Utilities

This is same folder the weaponseditor installed itself.

Also, my weaponseditor has AA-2 listed with others, AA-7  AA-8  AA-7C. Below FAB500 bombs.

Edited by csb
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, csb said:

James  where is the extractor installed?

My catextractor installed itself to a folder, it created, called Utilities and located this in the Thirdwire folder in Programs Files (x86) - next to Strike Fighters folder.

Local Disc c:/Program Files X86/Thirdwire/Utilities

This is same folder the weaponseditor installed itself.

Also, my weaponseditor has AA-2 listed with others, AA-7  AA-8  AA-7C. Below FAB500 bombs.

Yep that's exactly the same as my directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Utilities, just next to the big 5 merged Strike Fighters 2 folder.

The CE did all by itself.

I also have Weapons Editor and Guns Editor in the same folder.

I don't know why some weapons don't show, i had to download a separate package from Combat Ace called Red Side Standard Weapons Pack - Full Beta - Weapon Packs - CombatACE

That provided me the AA-2 and i could finally see it once pasted into the Weapons Folder, and then could edit it throught WE.

I also noticed i don't have the WEAPONDATA.INI and GUNDATA.INI, i really don't know why.

The CE doesn't work, i see all the "Objects" CAT files but once i click on a CAT file it says "error opening this .CAT file, no files can be extracted" and nothing shows up

I can't even click on "Exctract All" as someone suggested me, the buttons are greyed out 660bfed0d1306_Screenshot(547).png.6074bd3686749a966080ce50306ee44c.png

I honestly have no idea what i'm doing wrong

Posted (edited)

Do you have mods?

Remove any big mods.

Or do a separate install of SF2 in a different location (or a different pc) and try using cat extractor.

You may need to install all 5 games.

Edited by csb
  • Thanks 1

Neither the WEaponsdata nor gundata are required anymore, especially for add on or edited weapons. Hence, the creation of seperate sub-folders in the /Weapons folder This is clearly stated in the Knowledge Base on "Editing weapons" or some such title. Might want to give that a look see.

Also might want to read up in the KB on "how the extractor works". Because they ALL do.

Odd the Utilities instlled in the base install; mine installed to the root of the SavedGames/ThirdWire.

Having mods, in any amount will NOT effect how the editors works.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The weapons editor is convenient especially when you look at Guidance type. In the ini, this item has a numbered code, eg GuidanceType=10. But in the editor it has Heat seekers, and similar for other types. So for ini editing, user needs to know the codes. (Although, I suppose not many people change guidance type on missiles.)

Rechecked, my extractor installed itself in Program Files x86. Also put a Utilities folder in Savedgames but it just contains Config file for the extractor. Also creates another folder in Savedgames/Thirdwire called Extracted Files.

Edited by csb
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

James have you tried reinstall of the extractor?

Edited by csb
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 12:06 PM, csb said:

Do you have mods?

Remove any big mods.

Or do a separate install of SF2 in a different location (or a different pc) and try using cat extractor.

You may need to install all 5 games.

Oh ok, i'll try, thanks for helping

19 hours ago, csb said:

James have you tried reinstall of the extractor?

The CE is the last thing i want to install right? Before the 2013 update, otherwise an error message will show up if i'm not wrong.

Otherwise i'll reinstall it just now

22 hours ago, Wrench said:

Neither the WEaponsdata nor gundata are required anymore, especially for add on or edited weapons. Hence, the creation of seperate sub-folders in the /Weapons folder This is clearly stated in the Knowledge Base on "Editing weapons" or some such title. Might want to give that a look see.

Also might want to read up in the KB on "how the extractor works". Because they ALL do.

Odd the Utilities instlled in the base install; mine installed to the root of the SavedGames/ThirdWire.

Having mods, in any amount will NOT effect how the editors works.

Got it, but still don't know why i can't see some weapons and can't exctract anything in the CE, nothing shows up

19 hours ago, csb said:

The weapons editor is convenient especially when you look at Guidance type. In the ini, this item has a numbered code, eg GuidanceType=10. But in the editor it has Heat seekers, and similar for other types. So for ini editing, user needs to know the codes. (Although, I suppose not many people change guidance type on missiles.)

Rechecked, my extractor installed itself in Program Files x86. Also put a Utilities folder in Savedgames but it just contains Config file for the extractor. Also creates another folder in Savedgames/Thirdwire called Extracted Files.

I managed to change from Rear to All-aspect, but the GuidanceType number stayed the same.

Yep same to me, it installed in Program Files x86 and a Utilities folder in Savedgames.

So the problem now is just why the CE doesn't let me extract and why i can't see some weapons unless downloaded, like i did for the AA-2.

I hope i got everything right

On 3/31/2024 at 9:13 PM, Wrench said:

just breaking in here ... just curious as to HOW you can fire a radar guided missile from an aircraft that DON'T have an air intercept radar????

....]

Good point! I second that.

• Thanks 1

The CE is installed separately from SF2. So you can just uninstall  and reinstall, it without any issues.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 1:22 PM, csb said:

The CE is installed separately from SF2. So you can just uninstall  and reinstall, it without any issues.

Without any order of installation, even after the July 2013 last patch for SF2 merge install right? Even if the CE is dated back as 2012? And WE and GE count as separated installations too right?

afaik (and remember!) yes, they are

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I just did uninstall & reinstall of WE & CE without causing issues to the game.

These apps just make copies of ini files (and others). Of course WE makes changes to these copies of ini files but not to the actual game files.

Do you realise that you can actually DELETE all the folders & files in Saved Games and SF2 will start up like normal and create the folders & files back in Saved Game. But your edited ini's will not be there, ie you have vanilla install again.

This is convenient when you want to revert to vanilla install for whatever reason.

You may not be aware, so this is how it works:

I have some edited ini's that I always use ( Flight, Huddata, Viewlist, joystick profile) and I just keep these copies so if I reinstall the game or delete Saved Games folder then I can just copy those ini's In to Saved Games. Instant modding.

Edited by csb
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2024 at 7:26 PM, Wrench said:

afaik (and remember!) yes, they are

Thank you very much!

On 11/4/2024 at 5:24 AM, csb said:

I just did uninstall & reinstall of WE & CE without causing issues to the game.

These apps just make copies of ini files (and others). Of course WE makes changes to these copies of ini files but not to the actual game files.

Do you realise that you can actually DELETE all the folders & files in Saved Games and SF2 will start up like normal and create the folders & files back in Saved Game. But your edited ini's will not be there, ie you have vanilla install again.

This is convenient when you want to revert to vanilla install for whatever reason.

You may not be aware, so this is how it works:

I have some edited ini's that I always use ( Flight, Huddata, Viewlist, joystick profile) and I just keep these copies so if I reinstall the game or delete Saved Games folder then I can just copy those ini's In to Saved Games. Instant modding.

Very nice, i'll install and uninstall them whenever i want then.

Yeah, i realized you can insta-mod just by saving the folders, this is amazing!

Thank you very much