56 minutes ago, OlWilly said:

Speaking of the text on the fuselage, before you release these birds send textures to someone for proofreading, me if no one else around

Oh, that would be nice, Actually, I took it from a PDF file with all the stencils from an MF and used a virtual Russian keyboard to write them, so, some may not be fit for it, but happy to share it with you.

Now, for these rearview mirrors, I always wanted to know if they were used and who did it, this pic belongs to an SPS as the pic says, but, more light can be shed, if possible

a_MiG-21_SPS_-_Cockpit_1.jpg

18 hours ago, FLOGGER23 said:

Now, for these rearview mirrors, I always wanted to know if they were used and who did it, this pic belongs to an SPS as the pic says, but, more light can be shed, if possible

407459_1_pic_120.jpg

Technicians are preparing the Polish MiG-21PFM for takeoff. The canopy is tilted to the right. The MiG-21PFM was the first version of the fighter to feature two rear-view mirrors in the cockpit. Later they were also used on vehicles of the MiG-21SM family. Only on the MiG-21 MF they were replaced with a TS-27LMSh rear view mirror. The MiG-21PFM was also equipped for the first time with the improved RP-21MA Sapphire radar.

407459_1_pic_143.jpg

Two rear mirrors on the MiG-21PFM canopy. These mirrors were not present on early MiGs. This aircraft is also equipped with a TS-27AMSH rear-view mirror. In addition, this is an early version of the MiG-21PMF, since the aircraft is equipped with a KM-1 ejection seat.

https://military.wikireading.ru/33447?ysclid=lzs4o0c1wx378987657

TS-27AMSh is the rearview periscope common for other aircraft too (MiG-23, Su-25, etc)

luhovicy_57-jpg.466081

View from Il-76

0LQSh9TeJVI.jpg?size=1500x1000&quality=9

• Like 2

Thanks, doubt cleared, now there will be 2 pits LOL

• Haha 2

Hello guys.

While making the cockpit I found this counter, which is present in some PFMs, at the beginning I thought it was the ammunition counter, however, I have my doubts now, can someone tell me what is it for?

image.png.1ad804045f2e76b8f3f3fab9cb6d75e6.png

I am sorry, I do not know what exactly this one does, but it is some sort of a distance counter. The Cyrillic text says "Distance in km" at the top, then "Increase" at the right side and at the bottom the text says "Set starting with the hundreds in the range between 0 and 9". I hope that at least the translation could be helpful.

Edited by Svetlin
Removed incorrect specualtions.

As Svetlin said:

расстояние в км    ...  Distance in km

увеличение    ...     increase

установ нач с сотен не переходя 0 и 9  ...   set start from hundreds without going to 0 and 9

If you can post a photo of this instrument, where it is located on the board. I would ask in a german forum where old MiG pilots and technicians are to find. They are always helpfull.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gepard said:

If you can post a photo of this instrument, where it is located on the board. I would ask in a german forum where old MiG pilots and technicians are to find. They are always helpfull.

I think you can see it below almost in the center, above and right of the clock (sorry, I fail as a guide, but I hope you can get it)

MiG-21PFM_1024x1024.JPG?v=1520643326

• Like 1

I just posted your picture in the german forum. Let's see, when we get an answer. Maybe tomorrow, it's already late in Germany.

• Like 1

The MiG-21bis flight manual for DCS identifies that instrument as an indicator for the distance to the ground Radio System for Close-distance Navigation (Индикатор дальности РСБН).

Source: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/8a3/6o8xp14vqfyna8eos7jn6g5vynfopr3f/DCS MiG-21bis RU.pdf

The manual contains some detailed information about the use of the indicator as part of the aircraft navigation system. The problem is that the text is in Russian and a bit too technically complicated for me.

Apparently the flight manual of the aircraft specifies a recommended flight profile for approaching an airport. At a predefined distance from the ground Radio System for Close-distance Navigation, the aircraft must be at a predefined height. So, that instrument informs the pilot for the distance to the ground system and he controls the height and speed he is flying at, making sure he is approaching the airport in a proper and safe manner. Hope that helps.

Edited by Svetlin

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ..

Thank You All for this discussion. Every time I read these threads, I learn something!!

:drinks:

• Like 1

I got the answer:

"Das war wimre der "Entfernungszähler". Musste von Hand auf einen Anfangswert eingestellt werden und zeigte die Entfernung zu dem am ARK-10 eingestelltem Funkfeuer an. Die Berechnung funktionierte analog über Kurswinkel vom ARK und Geschwindigkeit Vw vom Staurohr, ein ziemliches "Schätzeisen" und deshalb meistens nicht genutzt. "

translation:

"That was AFAIK the "distance counter". It had to be set to an initial value by hand and showed the distance to the radio beacon set on the ARK-10. The calculation worked in the same way using the course angle of the ARK-10 and the speed Vw of the pitot tube, a bit of a "guess" and therefore mostly not used."

AKR-10 is the radio compass system of the MiG-21

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 3

Guys, would it be too much to ask for a flight manual? (I have the one for the FL, US and UM already) That would be to pinpoint some of the switch/know functions, yes, because I have a big OCD to have all named correctly!

Or, I will post specific questions for some Items...

Whatever works for all of us...

On 9/3/2024 at 11:36 AM, Gepard said:

I got the answer:

"Das war wimre der "Entfernungszähler". Musste von Hand auf einen Anfangswert eingestellt werden und zeigte die Entfernung zu dem am ARK-10 eingestelltem Funkfeuer an. Die Berechnung funktionierte analog über Kurswinkel vom ARK und Geschwindigkeit Vw vom Staurohr, ein ziemliches "Schätzeisen" und deshalb meistens nicht genutzt. "

translation:

"That was AFAIK the "distance counter". It had to be set to an initial value by hand and showed the distance to the radio beacon set on the ARK-10. The calculation worked in the same way using the course angle of the ARK-10 and the speed Vw of the pitot tube, a bit of a "guess" and therefore mostly not used."

AKR-10 is the radio compass system of the MiG-21

Thanks for this, the ARK-10 will be made this weekend, I hope...

I have been mapping many stuff this weekend, but nothing I can post yet.

Edited by FLOGGER23
  • Like 3

More questions to come, hehehe

Can you tell me what these knobs are for? 

image.thumb.png.ddf9f518508205a3e09018fa894a3737.png

image.thumb.png.19e6f0d4251414a252ccee3658d37bfa.png

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

IIRC the red button had something to do with the brakes. But it would be helpfull to have a better picture.

• Like 1

First picture:

The red button on the left says EMERGENCY BRАKE (АВАР. ТОРМОЖ.).

The upper red handle on the right is a selector switch - selects between the main and the emergency (or back-up) air-pressure sensor (in russian air-pressure sonsor is abbreviated ПВД).

So, the text there is ПВД and also АВАР. and РАБОЧ. (АВАР. stands for emergency and РАБОЧ. stands for working, i.e. main sensor).

The lower red thing is a cover over the button, which engages the emergency release of the landing gear.

The text there is АВАР. ШАССИ (which stands for emergency and landing gear)

Second picture:

The red button on the left says EMERGENCY BRАKE (АВАР. ТОРМОЖ.).

The other one says DE-ICING PRESS (ПРОТИВООБЛЕД. НАЖАТЬ).

So, the first one engages the emergency brake and by pressing the other one the de-icing system for the windscreen is engaged.

Edited by Svetlin
Information added
  • Like 2

Hello guys, good day all, I have another doubt/question: Radar

On the MiG-21PF/PFM/R Series they used the RP-21 Radar and I have seen in game you can basically turn it on, see targets and THAT IS IT, however, I have seen you can track and boresight targets as shown here:

image.png.dc77b4ff0e33eb32546979d290cd4cd2.png

This I assume can be done (fingers crossed) however, something I would ask for clarity game engine-wise, I have seen the RP-22 can discern the clouds, can this be achieved for us?

Also, does this radar have any (limited) air to ground function?

TIA

You could switch the RP-22 to send out a continuous beam, so that you could use it as rangefinder to a ground target. But ground mapping was not possible.

The RP-22 had more in common with RP-23 of MiG-23, than with RP-21. It was able to guide the R-3R missile, but not the RS-2US (AA-1 Alkali).