Sign in to follow this  
Heck

Florian's Tornado Rudder

I tried taking off in the Tornado and found something odd. If I apply a small amount of rudder during take off, I don't get the crash. But if I apply a large amount, I get a game crash now, and an error message about the terrain.dll. Can anyone else confirm that this is what's happening?

Also, I apologize for my lack of computer savy, but can anyone tell me where Winblows XP stores its error files, so I can post it, and maybe give Florian some concrete information to work from?

Thanks,

Heck

Just ran another test. Managed two small rudder movements on takeoff, but the third small deflection caused the crash with the error message about the terrain.dll. Also, the aircraft slews to the right on my system, even with the throttle at zero, and the brakes applied.

Any amount of rudder dumps my game, and I noticed the rotation on the ground too. It's also bouncing when I enter the mission, so some work on the damper values is needed.

Try this, Heck; start your take-off roll then apply the wheel-brakes, and tell me if your aircraft steers to the left by itself, as happens to me.

Any amount of rudder dumps my game, and I noticed the rotation on the ground too. It's also bouncing when I enter the mission, so some work on the damper values is needed.

Try this, Heck; start your take-off roll then apply the wheel-brakes, and tell me if your aircraft steers to the left by itself, as happens to me.

Just tried it, and can't say it happened to me. The veering I notice is always to the right. I have my keyboard arrow keys mapped as trim tabs, so each input is very small, that's probably why my keyboard inputs don't dump me, as they do you. In the air I expect the Tornado to veer, because of the asymetrical loads on the pylons, that's why I mapped the arrows as trim tabs. I also use Wrench's asymetrical loadouts for my Thuds and Phantoms.

I always release brakes and apply 50 or so percent thrust, until cleared for takeoff, then apply reheat.

This is with any aircraft.

I do so on the Tornado in WoE, and start to veer left, and I use my Saitek pedals to correct, >whack<, CTD.

The odd thing is, in my NATO Fighters install, I have absolutely no issues. I tried the graphics lines mentioned in the other thread, after extracting the

FlightEngine.ini from the FlightData.cat in both installs. No change to either. NATO-F still works well, and usually assigns an airfield strike.

I am unsure as to what the differences are between the installs, as NF is based on WoE.

:blink:

Forgot to mention. My WOE install is Nato Fighters also. I don't have a plain install of WOE. I like the greater selection of nationalities to fly with in Nato Fighters. But you have no problems with the rudder CTD in the Nato Fighters set up you have?

Edited by Heck

Correct.

I have instant CTD when applying rudder in the WoE only, NATO Fighters it flies just fine.

Weirdness.

Edited by Spectre_USA

Strange, I have none of those things but I have the flightengine tweak!

I have WoE patched to latest version and ALL Tornado's installed that are released!!

I can use rudder left and right no problem at all.

Best regards, Kodiak.

Strange, I have none of those things but I have the flightengine tweak!

I have WoE patched to latest version and ALL Tornado's installed that are released!!

I can use rudder left and right no problem at all.

Best regards, Kodiak.

I use the flightengine.ini tweak myself, but still have the problem. It might be my weak graphics chip, but I have no problems with other high polygon models I've downloaded, once I installed the tweak. Can't figure it out.

How many have crashes what vid card do you have?

System Specs: AMD 64 3400, ASUS K8V-X, 2048MB Corsair DDR400, ATI Radeon X800-XT 256MB, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Maxtor 200 GB SATA HD, TM Cougar with TM Elite rudders, TrackIR-2, Logitech G15

My video is weak. A laptop (1.40Ghz, 2gigs system ram) with an Intel 910 chip with 128megs of shared video ram. I use a Saitek x52 stick and throttle. I can fly the plane all the way through a mission without problems, if I don't use any rudder, but the moment I use a large amount of rudder, or more than one small rudder input, I get the crash. With my weak system, it seems using the rudder pushes the sim beyond my video limitations, even with the Flightengine.ini tweak in place. I've been able to run all the other high polygon count models using the tweak, but this one is probably just a bit too high when the rudder moves, if that makes any sense. Too bad, it's a beautiful model. Glad to see others are able to use it without problems. In my case, its probably my weak system. Some day I'll have to replace it.

Edited by Heck

Wow. Weird.

Map rudder to the keyboard just to see what happens. Would that be helpful thinking? Keyboard is like the most basic of basic computer controllers.

With these rudder-releate crashes, are you folks in the cockpit, or outside view???

Jus thinking outside the box (or the cockpit!) :haha:

Also wonder if this isn't another Radeon issue again...

Wrench

kevin stein

Well, I am getting crashes in WOV/WOE (merged) all the time, no matter if I am in the cockpit or using the outside views. And no, this is not a Radeon-only issue, I have a GF 7950GT... :dntknw:

With these rudder-releate crashes, are you folks in the cockpit, or outside view???

Jus thinking outside the box (or the cockpit!) :haha:

Also wonder if this isn't another Radeon issue again...

Wrench

kevin stein

Doesn't make a difference, it occurs with inside or outside view. And if I use the keyboard. Also for me the flightengine.ini tweak causes a ctd using any aircraft. As heck said, it's a real shame to have to leave this fine-lookng model in the Hangar for now :sorry:

My vidcard is a Gainward GeForce 7900 Golden Sample. Also have a merged WoE/WoV installed, no problems here.

Why don't you try a clean fresh install next to your already installed WoE and ONLY install the Tornado as an add-on and see what it does!

And if CTD then apply the Flightengine.ini tweak and try again, see what it does.

Best regards, Kodiak.

Wrench

kevin stein

Both inside and outside the cockpit. And the reason I don't get the crash when I use the keyboard, seems to be because I have the arrow keys mapped as trim tabs with KeyControlRate=0.250000 and SelfCenterRate=0.000000, so the key controls don't crash my system, because the inputs aren't that large. I may be wrong (read usually always am :rofl: ), but on my system the crash seems to be caused by the amount of rudder movement, either cumulative, through a succession of small inputs, one after the other, or one large one, anything over 25%. Further strangeness. If I hit the escape key quickly enough after the screen goes white, I can return to the failed mission menu, but if I'm not quick enough to catch it in time I get the terrain.dll CTD that others have mentioned.

Has anyone noticed that this is like real life testing of a new aircraft? You have test pilots fly it, report problems, and often have more than one pilot fly it, to get their differing impressions, as you try to track down some hard to identify problem. Hope Florian is able to track it down finally, through our continued testing.

Edited by Heck

Well, of course i´m tracking the testing, but unfortunately i can´t do anything else, as assuming the one and other, because like (hopefully?) many others, the Tornado works for me, either on fresh, as on any other install. But maybe, we get a hit somehow.

I have the same problem :( It also happens to me with your old Tornado F3 :(

I don't know what is it, I tried everything, HOWEVER I was thinking, WOE demands that directX update and as I dislike messing with various instances of DX I did a *.dll "trick" that is also described in knowledge are on this forum.

So I wonder if you guys that have it working ok did a complete DX update instead of just *.dll??

crashes with mine too as soon as I apply any rudder. WOV/E with NF1 and 2.

nVidea 7600 card.

I added in the Flightengine.ini mod and was able to load and fly all of the other Tornado's just fine.

Edited by Typhoid

I use rudder via my Saitek X45 rudder, if it is to anyone's intrest. And like I said, no problems at all.

If you use the FLIGHTENGINE.INI tweak then PLEASE try the one that I posted here in the forum! Because mine is a bit more drastic then the other ones. If I remember correctly I had to do that because otherwise my old Tornado's also kept crashing the game :blink: , so I changed the numbers a bit more, now all works fine.

Best regards, Kodiak.

EDIT

Here are the settings I use in the FLIGHTENGINE.INI

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=16384

MaxIndexCount=32768

MaxTextureCount=16384

MaxModelType=2048

MaxMeshPerScene=2048

MaxModelPerScene=4096

MaxLightPerScene=1024

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

Edited by Kodiak

I use rudder via my Saitek X45 rudder, if it is to anyone's intrest. And like I said, no problems at all.

If you use the FLIGHTENGINE.INI tweak then PLEASE try the one that I posted here in the forum! Because mine is a bit more drastic then the other ones. If I remember correctly I had to do that because otherwise my old Tornado's also kept crashing the game :blink: , so I changed the numbers a bit more, now all works fine.

Best regards, Kodiak.

EDIT

Here are the settings I use in the FLIGHTENGINE.INI

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=16384

MaxIndexCount=32768

MaxTextureCount=16384

MaxModelType=2048

MaxMeshPerScene=2048

MaxModelPerScene=4096

MaxLightPerScene=1024

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

Already using these settings, found them mentioned somewhere else at CombatAce quite a while ago, but I still CTD with the use of rudder. Had to use them to get Capun's Camel to work in FE.

Edited by Heck

Hi there,

just reporting crashes to desktop on an AMD64, 1GB Ram and GF 7600GT in a otherwise clean Natofighters I+II WoE Installation.

Happened inside and outside the cockpit but only after tried to take off by applying power and countering a verr with rudeders, if left alone nothing seems to happen.

Imported the weapons into my install but there is no model for the MW2 dispenser defined, there is just that tiny submunition bomblet displayed on the pylon.

S!

Edited by Tannethal