Sign in to follow this  
allenjb42

Gents, I think we have sighting of the new game...

Aww Dave, ...SIR!!

You mean I should have kept a log of all the little changes rechanges, and changes again I made to my ini's? Sheesh!! You would have thought I would have learned S O M E thing at Lackland!!!

So, did you want 50 sir? :biggrin:

Now I didn't say that, I don't keep a log either. But that method I said works. However I didn't mean to come across as crass as I did.

surely everyone knows that smoked eel is better than salted? ...

Of course but you have to take this whole thread with a lot of salt. ;)

Remember that TK has not told all the details of what WOI will have. I'm sure theres things he has not mentioned yet.

I'll buy it just to support Thirdwire, TK has impressed me with how open to modding he has made his sims and how quick he is to assist with modding info! He knows how to treat TW's community, I came from the Falcon 4 community and i don't miss the no modding drama at all.

Besides if TK wants to make sure it will sell all he has to do is add a Raptor,F-117,B-2 or F-35, Those are the most wanted planes and we know he has access to the F-22 that was used in USAF:AD. The time period may be wrong and i wouldnt count on it, but ya never know if an Easter Egg may appear!

Even if we only get new ground forces i'll buy it to support TW. Like i said... TK knows how to treat TW's community! :good:

I'm also on it, will like to see how it works specially If add some new things

I think that is wrong. Cause if it was right then WOV, WOE wouldn't have sold. I would say that everyone who is into the game will buy a copy when able. What the game will bring in "newness" will be applied in the Service Pack or patch. Of course if you don't buy it , you won't be able to get the new models that TK is releasing with the game as well as the included campaigns.
I will surely support TK and Thirdwire and buy the new release because I know that I can't mod or build a mission or anything like that but I can offer my monetary support and look forward to all the great mods and ac's that will SURELY be a part of this new release! TK, Thirdwire, Til the wheels fall off!! :ok::clapping::biggrin:

Well, hopefully in addition to the terrain being (hopefully) even better than what we now have and the planes being to a common standard there will be other additions such as perhaps better cities or something that none of the modders have been able to do with this current patch release.

Well, hopefully in addition to the terrain being (hopefully) even better than what we now have and the planes being to a common standard there will be other additions such as perhaps better cities or something that none of the modders have been able to do with this current patch release.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one JM. I wouldn't be surprised if the terrain is about on par with the SFP1 stock terrain.

I'm in as well. I am having a blast with all of the TW sims and have just started poking around with minor modding. (Trying to build a side by side cockpit for the Skyknight....)

The TW sims have let me fly planes I only dreamed of: F-100, A-4, A-6, A-7, etc.

This plus the fact that I have been very frustrated with other modern aircraft sims and TW will get my sim dollars going forward for some time to come.)

(Just wish TK would accidentally release the avionics DLL for the F-22......)

I'll be getting the new title, regardless of what it may (or may not) offer.

As a big fan of mud moving, I'd like to see some development of the terrain in terms of adding some life: parked a/c for strafing (which PNT has done a great job with), night-time city lights, dynamic weather, active road traffic, etc.

I realize that most of these are pipe dreams given the limitations of the game engine, but I can always hope.

I'll be getting the new title, regardless of what it may (or may not) offer.

As a big fan of mud moving, I'd like to see some development of the terrain in terms of adding some life: parked a/c for strafing (which PNT has done a great job with), night-time city lights, dynamic weather, active road traffic, etc.

I realize that most of these are pipe dreams given the limitations of the game engine, but I can always hope.

TK has expressed an unwillingness to update the terrain engine, even though a lot of us have been asking for it for years. The best thing you can do is post on his forum and let him know what you would like to see. If enough customers express a desire for this, maybe he will change his mind.

TK has expressed an unwillingness to update the terrain engine, even though a lot of us have been asking for it for years. The best thing you can do is post on his forum and let him know what you would like to see. If enough customers express a desire for this, maybe he will change his mind.
And again this is where the modders and builders come in I got new terrain from a third party source for WoE and WoV, I saw some re-paints here as well, I just hope that all of us will continue to do what we all do best and that is to support each other and offer help to all and above all to continue to make the titles we play the best anywhere! :clapping::ok::biggrin::good:

And again this is where the modders and builders come in I got new terrain from a third party source for WoE and WoV, I saw some re-paints here as well, I just hope that all of us will continue to do what we all do best and that is to support each other and offer help to all and above all to continue to make the titles we play the best anywhere! :clapping::ok::biggrin::good:

Repaints don't cut it. Especially overpriced ones. There needs to be more terrain complexity, higher texture resolution and greater object density. Modders can't overcome a basic limitation of the engine, and in the case of the ground environment, the entire world is passing this engine by rapidly.

Too rapidly.

How much would it cost to IL2 or CFS3 standards for terrain, where we're at is closer to CFS2, but with shiny water.

Repaints don't cut it. Especially overpriced ones. There needs to be more terrain complexity, higher texture resolution and greater object density. Modders can't overcome a basic limitation of the engine, and in the case of the ground environment, the entire world is passing this engine by rapidly.
And with that will put all the low end users out of the enjoyment, while i have no problems with your argument because i would enjoy all the better 'stuff', I hope that with any of the better 'stuff' won't mean that people will have to upgrade there rigs, a lot of us cant really afford to buy better vid cards or add more ram. Edited by Viper6

This terrain is on the cutting edge of 2001 and its 2007. He needs to do something with it bad.

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but what would be an example of a sim with cutting-edge terrain in it?

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but what would be an example of a sim with cutting-edge terrain in it?

LOMAC:Black Shark......and trust me, I know...... :grin:

FSX. the good old FSGenesis 9m resolution mesh might be a little much for strike fighters. But as I said, IL2 or CFS3 level would be an improvement enough, both with old graphics engines and still look pretty detailed at low levels. If TK could spare some money for a speedtree license, SF could do VERY dense folliage with the same level of detail, or slightly higher and still get fantastic performance. A little extra detail for HFD files and somewhat finer terrain tiling would go a long way.

A more WYSIWYG terrain tool would help up visual quality even keeping resolution the same for everything. Being able to draw on roads, facilities and towns instead of the long/lat coordinates would allow a single person to add great detail to an area.

Ace Combat 5 has an awesome environment as well.

i agree with you, and i'ts a sad situation

It's the whole tiles way of terrain texturing that's a real problem. Texture resolution is hardly a problem, in current engine 512x512 is quite enough and you can go all over to 2048x2048!! However tiles are the limiting factor in terrain complexity...I see that especially now that I'm working on GermanyCE terrain repaint, I just can't get that natural feel...atleast in a similar way I had with Vietnam.

Other than that TerrainEditor could really be better(have more options), the whole process of putting a tree by tree or even worse buildings which you even have to rotate not to make it look like the water brought them...not to mention by hand, best guess and via coordinates objects placing are really limiting everybody that have the will to do something about terrains.

TK may also have his own reasons why he is not working on terrain improvement in the series, as I understanded he has a very small team, possibly also quite limited funds, etc. I think he would do something about it if he really could, however some improvement of TerrainEditor would be very welcomed and could IMO close the gap a bit...

Edited by Brain32

I have said so, on numerous occasions, and it is usually dismissed as being low on the list.

Computers have advanced a bunch since 2001, it would be nice if the terrain engine could harness a bit more of the available power.

And with that will put all the low end users out of the enjoyment, while i have no problems with your argument because i would enjoy all the better 'stuff', I hope that with any of the better 'stuff' won't mean that people will have to upgrade there rigs, a lot of us cant really afford to buy better vid cards or add more ram.

But that is not the industries problem, that is yours. They have to advance to take advantage of new technology. If they waited on everyone to catch up there would be years in between technology breakthroughs. Not going to happen.

But that is not the industries problem, that is yours. They have to advance to take advantage of new technology. If they waited on everyone to catch up there would be years in between technology breakthroughs. Not going to happen.

Agree wholeheartedly. It's a matter of leading rather than following; and I say this as a cheapskate owner of a crap system who should have really upgraded a long time ago.

It's the whole tiles way of terrain texturing that's a real problem. Texture resolution is hardly a problem, in current engine 512x512 is quite enough and you can go all over to 2048x2048!! However tiles are the limiting factor in terrain complexity...I see that especially now that I'm working on GermanyCE terrain repaint, I just can't get that natural feel...atleast in a similar way I had with Vietnam.

Other than that TerrainEditor could really be better(have more options), the whole process of putting a tree by tree or even worse buildings which you even have to rotate not to make it look like the water brought them...not to mention by hand, best guess and via coordinates objects placing are really limiting everybody that have the will to do something about terrains.

TK may also have his own reasons why he is not working on terrain improvement in the series, as I understanded he has a very small team, possibly also quite limited funds, etc. I think he would do something about it if he really could, however some improvement of TerrainEditor would be very welcomed and could IMO close the gap a bit...

I don't find anything wrong with a tile based terrain provided it varied. The AE terrain is an example of a terrain that goes beyond the default texture set and, not tryin to blow my own horn, looks good.

The big problem is the tool (TE) that has not changed in forever. Yea there are some new things in the last version, connect roads-connect rivers, but they don't function. I've even gone so far as to ask TK for the source code for the TE in hopes to assemble a team to improve it. That was shot down. Oh well.