Sign in to follow this  
RHA_50

UFO MiGs - anything like this ever happen to you?

Greeting all,

Just thought I'd share this experience I had the other night.

I was using the Korean Air War full mod (offline), conducting a fighter sweep over Antung - (with a flight of 4 F-86F's). Once over the Antung area, 4 - 6 MiGs were launched. I targeted one of the MiGs, and after some (not so) skillful flying and shooting, I downed one of the MiGs. At that point, I was informed that the mission was complete and we should return to base.

But hey! There are still MiGs in the air, and my guns aren't empty yet! So I target the next closest MiG and go into a shallow dive toward it at 100% power (the target info says it's at 5000' -about 2000' - 3000' below me, and it's speed is only 157 tks!). Which is fine - I'm not above shooting down a plane in the landing pattern!

As I get closer, I see that it is 2 MiGs flying in a very tight formation - dang, those AI are good!

Now, I notice my closure rate is WAY to high - I chop the throttle and extend the speedbrakes. No good, I'm overshooting big time! Speedbrakes in, throttle back to 100 %. I go into a climbing right hand turn to bleed off some speed and drop in behind them.

According to the target info they're accelerating - 250 tks now. I tighten the turn to get an angle on them. As I approach, I notice I'm coming in at their 2 o'clock position, not their rear as I had expected - (Hmm, they must've turned into me.) -so I overshoot again.

I pull up into a steep climb to loop over and get behind them. Near the top of the loop, I look for the MiGs - they're nearly directly below me (2000' - 3000') still flying straight and level, in close formation (Hmm again - I would have thought they would be further away).

UH-OH!!! I'VE STALLED!!! By the time I've straightened out and built up some speed, I'm pulling out just above ground level. I start to climb back up to the MiGs, but don't quite have enough speed to get up to them.

As I go past them, I notice their exhaust is drifting upward just behind them - like they're HOVERING ! :blink:

On my next pass, I hit one, and it burns in place - stationary at 5000' !

At this point, I'm out of ammo, so I return to base.

In retrospect, I believe these 2 MiGs were stationary (due to some glitch) all along. Even though the target info showed their speed as 150 - 250 kts.

My question is: At the debrief, should I have reported that the commies are flying UFOs, or would that have been detrimental to my flying career? :sorry::haha:

ROTFLMFAO thats awesome, good wisecrack at the end, lol

Judging from your description, it sounds as if the MiGs you'd encountered had gone "off the map".

I've had this happen in the Iran-Iraq and Falkans Islands campains. Wierd watching a squadron of MiG-23s or Mirage IIIs hovering with full burner. Of course since I thought that this was stupid the MiG-23s became Tomcat food.

What, you mean like this:

ufo02.jpg

or this;

ufo04.jpg

or maybe these???

ufo2.jpg

ufo3.jpg

ufo4.jpg

:rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

ps: and if/when folks respond, DON'T do a copy/paste or 'reply with quote' that includes the pictures, it wastes time d/lding, clogs the server, and makes people upset. We've had some complaints.

W, The Moderator

Every terrain has an "invisible" wall around, so that you cant go out of the terrain. Maybe the MiG's run against this wall.

Wrench,

Had the 'glowing ball' thing one time...never did figure out what the hell caused it...was wierd!!!

And yep, I've hit the edge of the map a few times...

FastCargo

Had the 'glowing ball' thing one time...never did figure out what the hell caused it...was wierd!!!

The game models random ufo encounters or its a bug? :blink:

Can u get abducted? :biggrin:

Edited by Mladuna

Guest Saganuay82

Yes the terrain wall. Something made too close to the wall and traffic is routing into it. Makes for good kills when you find them.

1AMRAAM.jpg

What, you mean like this:

Ehh...this is Wolfpack Lead, i'm surrounded by a number of...ehh...glowing UFOs..please advise... :biggrin:

Say what aircraft are you flying in the screenshots?

It's an F11F.

Those balls, were those specifically modded to look like ufos or where their Nav lights too big and bright and look like a single light at distance.

I remember reading about something like that happening in real life. I think it was a B-29, or another large 50's bomber that just got 'stuck' and hovered in place for an hour in the bermuda triangle.

the last one's are a formation of F11F's, before the landing light fix. (it wasn't set to "IsLandingLight=TRUE", so it stayed on all the time)

The others.... :dntknw::rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

AirEast 31, do you wish to file a report of any kind to us?

I wouldn't know what kind of report to file, Center.

TWA 517, do you want to report a UFO? Over.

Negative. We don't want to report.

AirEast 31, do you wish to file a report of any kind to us?

I wouldn't know what kind of report to file, Center.

I just know those little gray buggers are gonna prob my @nus. :crazy:

I just know those little gray buggers are gonna prob my @nus. :crazy:

Why does everything tonight involve something going into or coming out of my @ss? :dntknw:

Are you going to start dancing and singing

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and-a June-a in the spring-a..."

Are you going to start dancing and singing

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and-a June-a in the spring-a..."

DAMN YOU!!!!!!

... Now I got that frick'n song stuck in my head. :crazy:

Better than a 40 foot satellite dish sticking out of your butt!!! :rofl:

You know, cows just turn themselves inside out sometimes.

Wrench

kevin stein