Sign in to follow this  
Bongodriver

You might think I'm crazy but bare with me....

Ha, one of the best Cars song!!

That's a prett great idea Craig! We really miss servitude planes, like this one, or one I'd really like to say, the Trader!

Ha, one of the best Cars song!!

That's a prett great idea Craig! We really miss servitude planes, like this one, or one I'd really like to say, the Trader!

Oh a C-1 would be great! Craig may have just started SFP1's light-medium cargo mod palooza

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

Go for it Craig. lookin realy nice. :good:

I don't always have to shoot things of of the sky.

Too bad there aint no medevec missions or transport.

Too bad we cant do transport like in the USAF game TK did for the AF recruiters, that would be cool

Too bad we cant do transport like in the USAF game TK did for the AF recruiters, that would be cool

Didn't that have an F-22A and MiG-29 as stock aircraft?

Craig,

I saw that one on the telly.

Were the Top Gear & 3 men fly-bys a set up, or do you guys spend all your time buzzing boats in the channel?

Well funny you should ask, we do spend alot of time just buzzing stuff for the hell of it, my personal favourites so far are sneaking up on a pair of jet skiers who were racing and I flew between them, I got a chance to glance back and see the looks on their faces, and in the summer when the ladies are out in force we have been given some very pleasant waves as we go by on our coastal runs (fond memories of the tyniest blue bikiny on the hottest blonde ever and the top half being lifted....twice...when we wen't around for another look)

but the top gear and 3 men in a boat were set up, in fact the 3 men programme was more set up than you might imagine, I have it on good authority that they didn't sail the boat all the way, the whole event was staged, they drove to each location while another crew sailed the boat, and then they just did some filming at each location.

Anyway back on topic, I am surprised (pleasantly) by the response this idea has got, I have to say I have grown fond of the Islander and I am glad that people who normally you would assume only interested in fast pointy things appreciate it too.

If an Islander can attract chicks on a beach I like it. I've scene that happen when an HH-60 Jayhawk flew over a beach.

but the top gear and 3 men in a boat were set up, in fact the 3 men programme was more set up than you might imagine, I have it on good authority that they didn't sail the boat all the way, the whole event was staged, they drove to each location while another crew sailed the boat, and then they just did some filming at each location.

Makes sense, they clearly didn't know how to sail so 'elf and safety probably ruled that out. Reality TV eh? How disappointing.

Job perks sound good anyway!

Craig

Any chance of a progress report on the Islander.

LloydNB

Makes sense, they clearly didn't know how to sail so 'elf and safety probably ruled that out. Reality TV eh? How disappointing.

Job perks sound good anyway!

Meh, if you were to talk about Jeremy Clarkson and co, you watch Top Gear for the sake of laughs, seriously (JC's obsession with Toyota Hiluxes as the toughest form of transport will still bring the laughs). And that considering that his Toybota failed the last time they had a 'convert a car into a boat' challenge. Then again, they have the best car filmography.

Anyways, good work on the model, it's coming out nicely.

This looks nice, i hope you continue with it. Am I mistaken, or was there a poor man's AWACS version of this planned in the 70s? Killed alot brain cells since then, so could be mistaken.......

Heres a video of me flying the Islander on a task, and the short flight home past the white cliffs.

Terrific Craig

But I couldn't help thinking while watching it, "I've been hanging around here too long". I kept looking for panel lines and discolouration from fueling the aircraft. Its how I look at aircraft these days -"Now just how would I skin this?"

I keep telling my wife that its a harmless obsession.

LloydNB

:yes: Trust me there's plenty of discoulouration on this old beastie, and if you are in to rivets....well..you'd be in heaven, I have never seen such a dirty wing in my life, the top of the wing, which is huge in area, is just covered in domed rivets and screw heads, I rekon that if they had flush riveted the islander, you could get another 10 knots out of her.

Cool vid, Mr. Pilot! :smile:

at least it's looking sweet

Hi craig, dunno if you're still working on this one (hope you are), I have an article about different versions of the Islander used by the RAF and Army in an old edition of Air Forces Monthly, when I get home I'll scan it in and send it to you. Hopefully it will be of some help, cos finding good information on them is difficult.

I am still going to do this one, it's just on the back burner at the mo, that article would be great if you could send it to me.

........, and in the summer when the ladies are out in force we have been given some very pleasant waves as we go by on our coastal runs (fond memories of the tyniest blue bikiny on the hottest blonde ever and the top half being lifted....twice...when we wen't around for another look)

There are nice things in flying pistons at low level., And I have a few memories as well...they make your job more pleasing at the 40th water scoop..

BTW , there is a CL215 model and skin done. If only someone could help with the flight model and the water release effect..we would have a fire fighting campaing for sfp1

Edited by Canadair

For all the Brits and anyone who can watch BBC 1 on satelite/cable,

Just thought I'd let you folks know I should be on a programme called Britain from above, just a small appearance and I don't know exactly which episode I am in, the show runs with 3 episodes from sunday 10th at 21:00 to 22:00 British time followed by a 1/2 hour show on BBC 2 starting at 22:00.

Should be some nice Air to Air shots of the islander, they followed me around in an Augusta 109 helo with a gyro stabilised HD camera, there were cameras inside too and we ended the days filming with an interview on the ground, I have no Idea why I am promoting it, I really hope the ground stuff is cut out :blush:

Craig

perhaps they will show the ground stuff only..... :biggrin:

thats cool your on TV.The only times I have been on TV I was being led out of a building by federal agents with a jacket over my head. :wink:

OMG, well looks like I will have to add another aircraft on to the WIP list, I have just been offered a job flying Learjet 45, I only had the interview yesterday, they are shipping me out to Dallas in October for the type training, any of our US members from Dallas?

it's a little Off topic I know but I am over the moon

OMG, well looks like I will have to add another aircraft on to the WIP list, I have just been offered a job flying Learjet 45, I only had the interview yesterday, they are shipping me out to Dallas in October for the type training, any of our US members from Dallas?

it's a little Off topic I know but I am over the moon

Sounds like it's somthing you want so congradulations.I'm not near Dallas other wise Beer and strippers would be in order. :wink: