Sign in to follow this  
column5

Wings Over Israel [Official Thread]

Vulture over Sinai...

vulture.jpg

flyable.

Almost done diailing in the lights; new WoI style hangar and loading screen coming later today (the placements are different, had to re-do my 3yr old hangar screen!!)

Still debating on which cockpit to use...right now, it's the F-4B, but I think I should switch it over to my "2Jet_cockpit" mod.

Wrench

kevin stein

Any new targets (new Ground units)???? How much area is the map covering (how far East??)?? Any screenshots of planning map??

Which Nations to fight(single missions)??

Given I now have WOV,WOE, FE, SFP1, dedicated installs of WII, WOK, BOB, BoB 11, PF+FB+AEP, FS9, Lock on, EECH, EECH2 (never play those), Falcon 4 AF and probably some others I can't find just now, why do I need WOI. I mean what's different or good about it from the other versions?

O.K I know I'm going to get flamed and maybe this should have been Brainless question No.12 but I just thought I'd ask. :biggrin:

[i merged this topic with the main thread. --c5]

Oh yea!!!! Hopefully we won't have to rebuild ALL the weapons...

FastCargo

lots of editing to do, every item has new subsonic and supersonic drag values, the editor assigns a "standard" value though ...

Finally got home to give this a crack, and what's the first thing this smartarse here does?? I pike my A-4 into the ground... :blink:

Started a Six Day War campaign last night, flying a Mirage with the Bat Squadron. That Mirage is a classy bird, just plain cool.

Very immersive, that first mission, watching Israeli jets swarm across the Sinai. Could observe friendly formations all around me as we headed west. Really felt as though I was part of a major operation.

My wingman and I hit an airfield near Cairo. Flak was nasty. Nailed our target and turned for home. As we crossed the coast east of Alexandria, we spotted a single MiG 21 trailing a formation of Mystères. Rolled in on the MiG and fired a couple of Sidewinders, both of which went ballistic (can’t hit anything with these Sidewinders).

Like everybody else, I’ve noticed that the enemy AI is smarter and more aggressive in WOI. Sure enough, this MiG maneuvered to evade the Sidewinders -- and then he ran. I’m accustomed to AI fighting to the death in Third Wire sims, but this guy must have been low on fuel or ammo, or maybe he just figured he was outnumbered. We chased him south for several miles before I was able to line up a cannon shot and take him out. One martyr, coming up.

Fuel is something you really have to watch in WOI. I was running on fumes when I made it back to base. Actually ran dry taxiing back to the revetment. When I went to external view, I noticed that my left wingtip was chewed away. Nice damage modeling!

To get into the spirit of things, I’ve named my new pilot Levi Solomon. Not sure if anybody else has mentioned this yet, but on the Pilot Record screen, now there’s an option to delete the record. No more manually deleting files from the Pilots folder. Thanks, TK! :smile:

Edited by Pancho

Sorry if I just created anyone a posting problem...little problem merging a Brainless topic into this one. ;)

I'm accustomed to AI fighting to the death in Third Wire sims

I'm not, 'cause I started with FE :) There the AI really came alive as some of less experienced and scared pilots would turn around and run home, instead of engaging...

I'll definitely get WOI now :yes: Maybe earlier games too, if they get patched.

My wingman and I hit an airfield near Cairo. Flak was nasty. Nailed our target and turned for home. As we crossed the coast east of Alexandria, we spotted a single MiG 21 trailing a formation of Mystères. Rolled in on the MiG and fired a couple of Sidewinders, both of which went ballistic (can’t hit anything with these Sidewinders).

To get a valid tone flying the Shahak/Nesher with AIM-9/Shafrir 2 , you must aim high with the pipper, the Nesher gunsight has a small mark for A2G below the sight reticle, use this to aim with missiles. Shahak sight doesnt have the mark, but move it one sight diameter above the target and you should get a good tone.

This "off"-aiming is caused by the narrow FOV of those missiles and their launchrails are depressed 3 degree below the aircrafts datum line.

This "off"-aiming is caused by the narrow FOV of those missiles and their launchrails are depressed 3 degree below the aircrafts datum line.

This is what TK calls sim-lite??? :blink: Wow!

*one more day... one more day before I get it..*

This is what TK calls sim-lite??? :blink: Wow!

One of the reasons why SEAM was invented. ;)

One thing I have noticed in WOI, the AI seem to fight more in the vertical than in the others. Was dogfighting a Mig23 in an F16 and that AI pilot went vertical...impressed me no end! :good:

Got him in the end, but boy, the best and most challenging dogfight I've ever done (Im usually a ground-pounder and tend to avoid a fight).

One thing I have noticed in WOI, the AI seem to fight more in the vertical than in the others. Was dogfighting a Mig23 in an F16 and that AI pilot went vertical...impressed me no end! :good:

Got him in the end, but boy, the best and most challenging dogfight I've ever done (Im usually a ground-pounder and tend to avoid a fight).

Yeah! I also like that the AI tend to keep their speed up now. In the past, the MiG-17s would often fight below 100-knots.

Somebody just asked a question about the map...these new ones have a shaded border...defining the limit of "The Wall"

VERRRRYY Nice!!! No more guessing how far to the edge you can place things.

Which is too bad...it puts Cyprus in an unusable postion (was thinking about 56 War)

With the release of the new weapons editors, I can now see how my prop birds handle the FM -- which seem VERY improved from the older ones.

Mustangs and Spits over Mitla!!! Get to fix the Vamps and Metors and Veltros and Mules now...

Wrench

kevin stein

Somebody just asked a question about the map...these new ones have a shaded border...defining the limit of "The Wall"

VERRRRYY Nice!!! No more guessing how far to the edge you can place things.

Which is too bad...it puts Cyprus in an unusable postion (was thinking about 56 War)

Wrench

kevin stein

I flew recon out there and you can get just about all the way to the North shore before you run into the wall.

Yeah! I also like that the AI tend to keep their speed up now. In the past, the MiG-17s would often fight below 100-knots.

So now if I'm flying a Kurnas I might have a chance against MiG-17s? :blink:

I flew recon out there and you can get just about all the way to the North shore before you run into the wall.

That's good to hear! When I saw Cyprus on the map, I started thinking 1956, too.

I was thinking about the USS Liberty incident, as well. You’d have to import a US carrier and aircraft from WOV, which wouldn’t be too hard. Me, I’d portray a limited response centered around a carrier battle group protecting the Liberty – short campaign, no more than a few days. IAF flies some strikes against the carrier and the Liberty. USN flies CAP and maybe a few strikes against IAF airbases. This would put the USN on the same side as the Arab states, of course (unless you removed the Arabs from the campaign). Could be an interesting mix to throw the USN into the stock Six Day War campaign, giving the USN a very limited role.

Hey Crusader, thanks for the Sidewinder tutorial! I'll give that a go tonight. :smile:

Is TK going to release an expansion pack like he did for FE. I wish there was also Campaigns for the Arab side also. Im sure somebody will create that sooner or later though.

lots of editing to do, every item has new subsonic and supersonic drag values, the editor assigns a "standard" value though ...

That's okay, reminds of the 'standard' stall behavior the sim now assigns to aircraft that don't have a defined one. If it means the weapons approximate the performance they had before WOI, that's good enough...for now! I just didn't want to have to change all 2000+ weapons immediately...

Tweaks here and there I can live with...

This is the last stepping stone to me full up migrating over to WOI.

FastCargo

Well, now that the weapons editor is working -- and works great, btw. I took a chance and just copied over the gundata ini and gundata dat, as it seems to make no real differences (btw, anyone notice in the new stock one the addition of the MG-

151???)

So, we know the ww2 birds will work. They fly totally differently...the Spit responds so fast to roll inputs!! Haven't check the S-199, Mustang, Veltro, etc yet.

Pics:

spit9_idf.jpg

The new parked planes features is just too cool....

parked_harvards.jpg

parked_ouragons.jpg

Here's one of the new damage shots (not me, my wingie -- I was busy running away)

damaged_vautour.jpg

Now, to go off and add more SAMs (SA-3s!) Have to place the IDF Hawks by hand, unfortunately. Just as usual, the Western powers are suffering a lack of air defenses...although the M-42 Duster works fine in a stock install, as does that stand-in US 90mm gun I built a few years back.

Note to self...get the new Chaparells whilst I'm here...

Wrench

kevin stein

new weapon editor available now :smile:

That post just made my day. The Phoenix hath returned.

gallery_12105_43_13234.jpg

gallery_12105_43_675534.jpg

gallery_12105_43_509692.jpg

gallery_12105_43_278928.jpg

Boom, boom, boom!

Nukes work... :smile:

Also, the town I hit had 64 targets destroyed...has TK upped the types of objects that can be destroyed?

I'm back baby!!

FastCargo

Looks like weapons now have extra drag co-efficients for sub-sonic and super-sonic drag.

Missiles also have CL Max mods.

An interesting addition is with the ECM pods. They now have a Min Ghz and Max Ghz ratings (currently both 0 for ALQ-131).

I'm wondering if this is to allow future mods for frequency specific ECM?

That's okay, reminds of the 'standard' stall behavior the sim now assigns to aircraft that don't have a defined one. If it means the weapons approximate the performance they had before WOI, that's good enough...for now! I just didn't want to have to change all 2000+ weapons immediately...

Tweaks here and there I can live with...

This is the last stepping stone to me full up migrating over to WOI.

FastCargo

I'm in the same boat. I'm holding off on WOI for now, until I know I'll be able to put it all together.

Please let us all know how the migration works!