Sign in to follow this  
Dave

D-Day June 6th, 1944

64 years ago.......

heroes!

I salute you all. :good:

I don't know where we would have been today if D day didn't happen.

The starting of the downfall of Sauron and Mordor. (Hitler and Nazi Germany.) :biggrin:

<S>

Edited by Mannie

may the souls of the fallen rest in eternal peace and may we never forget the sacrifice.

What will likely stand as the largest (successful) military operation executed in history, but not without great sacrifices.

What will likely stand as the largest (successful) military operation executed in history, but not without great sacrifices.

Amen to that...

God bless each & every one of those soldiers who participated in those landings...

Let's all remember that the freedom that we enjoy so much today was earned in their blood....

Edited by Tomcat_ace

"Grampa, were you a hero in the war?"

"No, but I served with a bunch of them."

Major Dick winters

Thank you to all who have and all who still do serve

~S~

Brit-salute.gif

S!

Want to hear some sad bulls**t? I asked my kids when they got home from school if any of thier teachers had anything special to say about today. They all said NO. So I went ahead and talked to them about D-Day and the sacrifices of our and allied troops.

Want to hear some sad bulls**t? I asked my kids when they got home from school if any of thier teachers had anything special to say about today. They all said NO. So I went ahead and talked to them about D-Day and the sacrifices of our and allied troops.

Some gave some and some gave all. Their hallowed memory rests with those of us with enough integrity to honor them on this, their day. To join them and stand beside those who served shoulder to shoulder in that long grey line will be for this old Tiger, enough.

<S>

Unfortuntely thats all military operations. None are perfect.

It's really shameful indeed... Even educational institutions are totally unaware of this....

What the 'h' is the point of so-called education anyway????

What the 'h' is the point of so-called education anyway????

...well it's illegal to send the kids back into the mines. :biggrin: I have a couple of friends who're teachers here and they did something specific for the day, which I kinda found a little odd. Our culture here isn't as militarised as, say US culture. That is to say, the military subjects usually don't come up as much as others would. And given the ADF's (AIF's?) lack of involvement, I'm surprised it would have been brought up since teachers here only cover the bare basics of our military history: Gallipoli and Simpson and his Donkey, both WWI.

Big respects to the vets of that god awful dawn!

<S> They'll always be my heroes...

I have a couple of friends who're teachers here and they did something specific for the day, which I kinda found a little odd. Our culture here isn't as militarised as, say US culture. That is to say, the military subjects usually don't come up as much as others would. And given the ADF's (AIF's?) lack of involvement, I'm surprised it would have been brought up since teachers here only cover the bare basics of our military history: Gallipoli and Simpson and his Donkey, both WWI.

What about the Bombing of Darwin & The Battle of Crete in WWII?.. Australia had some involvement there..

The Point I was trying to make is this: Since the D-Day landings at Normandy / Operation Overlord was the largest military operation ever planned and executed (with the sacrifice of a lot of good men) It should definitely be a part of the syllabus of World History in any school and any Degree/coursework related to World History in any country...

Edited by Tomcat_ace