Sign in to follow this  

Like the title says...a brandey newey place to blow stuff up on!

I wanted to choose something fairly simple, fairly small and easy to targetize (ha! like that's ever gonna happen!!), that also would be simple to find historical data as to dispositions (well, it really ain't that easy!). Obviously, it's a WW2 map. But I ain't saying where. You figure it out!

Without further ado...

new_map1.jpg

and 2 views whilst flying:

new_map2.jpg

new_map3.jpg

still need a LOT more work in straightening out targets, there's some 'sea level' issuse I can't figure out, and I'm trying to get more trees from GH onto the hills -- trying to figure out which TOD goes with which tile is troublesome, at best.

When the movements and targets are finalized, I"ll release it 'as is', warts and all (and exceptional high tides...which shouldn't happen here?)

enjoy!

Wrench

kevin stein

was that a Luau we just flew over ? :hi:

Iwo Jima?

Look great Kevin!

Jeff

Marthas vineyard?

Aruba?

Jamaica?

Bermuda?

Bahamas?

Key Largo?

Montego?

Kocomo? :haha:

Edited by gwar

I like gwar's guesses!

They remind me of the funny Jack in the Box commercials I saw during football yesterday.

What goes in these bowls?

Sparkles, pebbles, Rain, etc. :rofl:

I'll through my shot out here, the Philippines?

Marthas vineyard?

Aruba?

Jamaica?

Im with ya! :yes:

Looks like the Marianas? I was stationed on Guam during the late 60s, and there were still Japanese guns emplaced in caves covering the main harbor near Agana.

Looking good, Wrench.

I'll hazard a guess and agree with Geezer, looks like the Marianas/Guam to me :good:

For autotiling of sea textures to avoid coastal tsunami, there is a little bit of fiddling to be done with the texturelist.ini.

I don't have it entirely figured out yet, but I have spent a fair bit of time on this trying to get Thunder Bay / Salmon River to tile properly for your ANW upgrades.

You have to make some adjustment to the altitude settings and Priority level for your water texturetype and your coastal terrain types. Also, it is much easier for TE to autotexture the coastal areas correctly if you have followed Gepard's instructions to re-size your terrain .bmp to make a full-scale terrain.

As for your texturelist settings, I set water textures, and the adjoining land textures in TextureList/Edit Texturetype list to the following settings:

[s Sea]

Water=1

UseAutoPlacement=1

CheckAltitude=1

MinAltitude=0

MaxAltitude=0

CheckCity=0

MinCityDistance=0

MaxCityDistance=0

CheckSlope=1

MinSlope=0

MaxSlope=0

Priority=1

RandomFactor=100

GroupingFactor=0

ExclusionRegion=0

ExcludeMaxX=250

ExcludeMinX=0

ExcludeMaxY=250

ExcludeMinY=0

[R Grass]

Water=0

UseAutoPlacement=1

CheckAltitude=1

MinAltitude=0

MaxAltitude=800

CheckCity=0

MinCityDistance=10

MaxCityDistance=999999

CheckSlope=0

MinSlope=15

MaxSlope=90

Priority=0

RandomFactor=100

GroupingFactor=0

ExclusionRegion=0

ExcludeMaxX=0

ExcludeMinX=0

ExcludeMaxY=0

ExcludeMinY=0

You will see that grass has a minumum altitude of 0, so you may expect that grass would cover all the sea. Except, the water texturetype has a higher priority than the grass type, so where all the other factors for water are met, then you will get water rather than grass.

This means that grass will come right down to 0 altitude, but only for areas which don't meet the water specification of maxaltitude=0 and, importantly maxslope=0.

It does mean that the coastal areas probably creep out to sea little bit more across the board, but it pretty effectively removes most instances of sea creeping up onto the land. When I get a moment I will take a look at Socal using the same sort of settings. It takes a bit of experimentation, and sometimes odd things happen, but that should help.

Looking forward to full release :biggrin:

Cheers,

Baltika

What are you talking about?! That's Australia for sure! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am in favor of Gwar's picks! Be great for a CA fly in.

Nice job. Now it will be time that TK implement the carrier take offs in the single mission.

looking at various charts from around the world, I can't match them up.

I'm guessing Guam but not sure.

But definitely time for some carrier ops!!

:clapping:

Well, shoot...looks like Geezer & Typhoid have got it! Although, Gwar's pick ARE pretty funny!!!

And here I had the real nice trivia quesition, relating to movies and TV shows to 'give a hint'....hell, I'll do it anyway.

EXTREAME knowledge of war movies (expecially those lesser known) and TV shows IS required!!! I'm going to try and word it as vaguely as possible...

"What 2 famous actors appeared in a movie about the invasion of these islands, that BOTH later appear in the TV series Star Trek? One plays the boy adopted by the family, the other plays his 'brother', during the late 30s-early 40s in Los Angeles"

Name the actors and the roles they later played in Star Trek, as well as the movie in question.

Hint: the family is Japanese.

The winner will get a building/sign with their name on it on an upcoming terrain mod. (best I can do...)

----------

I've shamlessly 'borrowed' Gepard's layouts for the 2 CVTFs (well, 4 actually), as well as the 'invisible' airfield for the Navy to fly from. As well as Kukolino's repaint of Hinch's Zuiho for the Princeton class CVLs

Back in late 60s my cousin Alan, when he was in the Air Force as an Air Policeman, was stationed at Anderson. I think he still remember exactly how many rivets there are on a B-52!! I guess back then, they stood guard on the flightline!

Storm: Iwo's just off the upper right edge. I think that little island on the lower left, which is behind "The Wall", could be Truk.

WRench

kevin stein

Jeffery Hunter, playing a Hispanic taken in by the Japanese family (Guy Gabaldon) and fought on Saipan (I think) who later became Christopher Pike in Star Trek. Oddly enough, the story was adapted from a true story.

George Takei, who later became Captain Sulu in Star Trek, had a small part as I remember. I think his name was "George", which I found funny.

Anyway, the movie's title is "Hell to Eternity"

Jeffery Hunter, playing a Hispanic taken in by the Japanese family (Guy Gabaldon) and fought on Saipan (I think) who later became Christopher Pike in Star Trek. Oddly enough, the story was adapted from a true story.

George Takei, who later became Captain Sulu in Star Trek, had a small part as I remember. I think his name was "George", which I found funny.

Anyway, the movie's title is "Hell to Eternity"

I think you're right. In that movie, if I recall correctly, they are trapped on Guam by the initial invasion and last through the occupation carrying out guerilla raids and then help spot for the re-invasion.

Back in late 60s my cousin Alan, when he was in the Air Force as an Air Policeman, was stationed at Anderson. I think he still remember exactly how many rivets there are on a B-52!! I guess back then, they stood guard on the flightline!

That's where I was at the same time - repairing the B-52s. Somewhere a bit South of Anderson was a dirt track (only suitable for motorcycles or 4WD vehicles) that led off SouthEast-ish into the jungle. Down the track was a clearing that still had a knocked-out Sherman slowly rusting away in the tropical heat.

I hated that island...

Edited by Geezer

Yes, it's "Hell to Eternity". Nightshade is the winner!!!

So, on my next major map, you get something named for you. What would you like? Bar? City? Cat house??? :haha: Unfortunately, I can't add anything to this one, as there's no US prescence on the island.

Typhod is thinking of "No Man Is An Island", where Hunter plays the Navy Chief (?) that hid out there until the invasion 'rescued' him.

Nice work people!! Your movie triva skill impress me!

Now, if I can just the the rest of the jungle tods to show up around the hills...hgrrrhahahagggaarrrr!!! Movements ini, target items dialed in...

Damn TE keeps crashing out on me when I try to fix the water bits, so phooey on it!!! :rofl: Interestering to note, the nothern cliff is there on Saipan, the sight of a major tragedy for the Saipanese islanders, propagandized into irrational fears of the Americans...a very sad thing. I think I'll just leave that area alone, out of respect.

Wrench

kevin stein

Why Thank You Sir. But, no need to name anything after me; I'll settle for the compliment and take the win graciously. I'm good with what I get from all you modders. I'm just surprised that some other people besides me saw that movie...