Sign in to follow this  
matt milne

off phase 3 theme

i've been waiting over a year to post this.

you can get a copy of the off phase 3 theme at http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7021433

click on lo fi or hi fi to play it online.

some general details: a simple melody with the obligatory snare drums, timpani, strings, brass and choir backing. it was thrown together in 3 or 4 hours last thing on a friday afternoon, with little more to go on than some off manager screenshots. it was great fun.

enjoy

A truly wonderful piece that fits the mood and atmosphere so well - well done and thank you for your contribution to OFF! :good:

you can get a copy of the off phase 3 theme at http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7021433

some general details: a simple melody with the obligatory snare drums, timpani, strings, brass and choir backing. it was thrown together in 3 or 4 hours last thing on a friday afternoon, with little more to go on than some off manager screenshots. it was great fun.

enjoy

Matt,

First of all let me say that was a fantastic score for BHaH. How did you do that? I mean did you get musicians together and record it or is it created on computer and if so how is that done? Anyway again that is a fantastic piece.

Scott

3-5 million bucks, that's roughly how much the london symphony orchestra, london voices, watford hall and abbey road cost to rent for a week. So no since music budgets tend not to be that size these days, i'm forced to work with lesser equipment.

lol, seriously, it's an all digital process. since i score by what i see and hear, i'm usually the last process before printing, on a film, so i'm all set up to recieve the digital film, load it into the sequencer, write and record on the computer, and send the audio files back to be mixed into the edit, or product in this case, and all to be done in a week.

It's highly efficient and has a production cost of virtually zero.

Sample databases are the wave of the future as they say. since my mixing skills are non existant it's a straight record off the computer, there's no effects or additional audio processing like you get in most game and film productions, what you're hearing is the basic, raw audio. and because of the fact that it's low quality, but still very good, i tend to turn more than a few heads.

if i had the budget to do it properly you'd get something better, but unfortunately idiots have taken over swathes of the industry and so i don't get much of an opportunity, unless i come across another gifted artist, and those are few and far between these days.

3-5 million bucks, that's roughly how much the london symphony orchestra, london voices, watford hall and abbey road cost to rent for a week. So no since music budgets tend not to be that size these days, i'm forced to work with lesser equipment.

lol, seriously, it's an all digital process. since i score by what i see and hear, i'm usually the last process before printing, on a film, so i'm all set up to recieve the digital film, load it into the sequencer, write and record on the computer, and send the audio files back to be mixed into the edit, or product in this case, and all to be done in a week.

It's highly efficient and has a production cost of virtually zero.

Sample databases are the wave of the future as they say. since my mixing skills are non existant it's a straight record off the computer, there's no effects or additional audio processing like you get in most game and film productions, what you're hearing is the basic, raw audio. and because of the fact that it's low quality, but still very good, i tend to turn more than a few heads.

if i had the budget to do it properly you'd get something better, but unfortunately idiots have taken over swathes of the industry and so i don't get much of an opportunity, unless i come across another gifted artist, and those are few and far between these days.

You are very modest. I was hooked on the first part of the post where you had the London Symphony, Abbey Road etc: but am even more impressed that you got that sound from a computer. May I ask you a couple of question? PC or Mac? Software? Any who... It's a very impressive score and sounds extremely professionally recorded, not to mention your a very talanted musician. Thanks for making this avalible.

Matt, I'm glad you posted this so I can say "thank you" for a wonderful score which added greatly to the OFF atmosphere; it's a very "lump in the throat inducing" theme.

Ooooh the music composer is here...! :worship:

Great score Matt! I remember listening to it while watching the preview trailers and it was a very thrilling experience. :smile:

Rather impressing that this was made by computer only..

Yay! At last!

Like Bigfish, just want to say thanks for the truly beautiful music that adds so much to the atmosphere of Between Heaven and Hell. Not just the main theme either, I'm particualarly fond of 'menu music three'.

it's amazing what you can do with a computer these days. and being able to listen to what you're writing as you write it makes a huge difference, especially when film is concerned.

also with live orchestra making mistakes, you've gotta go bakc and do the whole thing again, with a computer involved, you can identify the erring instrument and replace its line of music digitally in absolutely no time at all, saving huge resources and time, so yea, any composer worth their salt in this biz uses a computer or several computers, at least for writing if nothing more.

it's much easier to write something and copy and paste it around the different instruments, than writing each note a hundred times for every bar of music. and all those clips you see of modern composers writing on paper, especially film composers, are staged for those nice dvd features.

pc v mac is ofcourse another argument for a different forum.

but for my particular and more or less unique set up and situation:

i need to be able to stream hundreds of small recordings a second (samples as they're known), one hard disk stores the programs and one disk stores the hundreds of gigabytes of sound data (so you need different disk capacities, makes and speeds) the cpu has to be able to seamlessly hold and process the information live and layer it together in different programs simultaneously to form even a simple second of music (and it has to be able to record all that at the same time too if recording with absolutely no glitches or other clicks and pops and hisses in any shape or form), so multiple cores are a must. And due to extensive data use there are hardware failures, so you need to be able to swapout without altering the setup in any other shape or form, a pc's specialty.

If you can get 12 macs hooked together so that you've got one instrument database per machine, then you can use macs in a nice studio and they'll share the load, which is the usual set up, but since i usually don't get paid and since i'm pro but without the nice industry qualifications and grants that go with them, i had to do it all without hassle, without audio engineers present, and it had to fit all on one computer, and macs just aren't ideal for that sort of set up. wheras a custom altered off the shelf pc could do it, so that's what i ended up going for.

brilliant piece.....well done.....although, much like the Adagio I now hear it everywhere (I can't be the only one who hears a noise and thinks it sounds like the intro' and then the brain fills out the rest??.......still beats some of the tunes that could get stuck in the brain eh!)

Top marks for a great piece of work :clapping:

I did a little more investigating on your soundclick site and read about the software you use. I think I know what to spend my tax return on now. :) I agree that a mac vs pc debate is not a proper subject for this forum, and I have never been able to afford a mac setup anyway, so I'm impressed and inspired that you did that on a pc.

vienna has a bigger set up, but to my ears, east west held a more authentic sound with a custom sound environment. and there are loads of other databases and systems, not to mention a live orchestra which is the ultimate option. so it's a subject that's well worth researching if you're going down the digital music route.

a word of warning though, these are audio engineers tools, and i'm not an audio engineer. it can also get very technical and the academic advertising is outrageous. take time to look at the different databases, and set ups, listen to all the different demo tracks, talk to people and composers from everywhere, and pick a system and set up that will provide your means for your ends, something you'll be comfortable with from day one.

it can get very pricey very quickly. so really shop around and only go for what you decide to go for, best to avoid salespeople and do it online, so you can make a decision of your own choosing.

I just want to say a big "Thank You Sir" for the brilliant piece of music that has so fittingly accompanied us during our virtual adventures in the air of WW1 battlefields all these years.

It is an honour to have you here!

Presently all I have is "Garritan Pocket Orchestra" which came bundled with my DAW (Sonar 7) and a software piece called M-Tron (based very accuratrly on the 60's tape keyboard Mellotron) but niether of these produce an accurate sounding orchestra IMHO. I've been researching East West for awhile, along with others, but alas I'm a guitarist first and play keyboards more as an after thought, not in your league for sure, but I'm very impressed with the sound quality you achieved with East West.

Now this thread has turned into a musical forum so I guess I'd better say how much your score has enhanced the flying experience in OFF/BHaH to keep it legit.

Thank you for you responses as well.

I love the new music. It sounds a little " Fly Boyish" to me, but in a good way.

Did Mr. Milne write all the music for BHaH ?

Zundap ... I have Finale 2009 music notation software, comes bundle with "Garritan Personnel Orchestra". Its awesome!

Cheers,

WF2

Edited by Womenfly2

The first thing I invariably do with a new game is turn off the music. Not so here. This is brilliant work!

enjoy

The music really stands out with off.

Can it be uploaded here at combatace? The OFF section is a bit bare now and it would be great to preserve the file here in the dedicated OFF file area. Just a thought.

Zundap ... I have Finale 2009 music notation software, comes bundle with "Garritan Personnel Orchestra". Its awesome!

Cheers,

WF2

I may not be giving Garritan a fair shake as my version of the Pocket Orchestra is actually bundled inside another bundled piece of software (Dimension LE) within my DAW (Cakewalk Producer 7), so I probably have a very "lite" version. But I was right there with Matt as he had me in Abbey Roads studio, with the London Symphony and Choir the quality of the score sounds so "real", and of course very fitting to Over Flanders Fields "Between Heaven and Hell" (not to mention I do not possess the talent Matt obviosly has to write such a score...oh well I guess I mentioned it). The software Matt uses is a healthy investment though so I checked the link you supplied and may just upgrade to the Personnel and buy new rudder pedal to fly OFF. :o) Thanks for the link.

I just want to say a big "Thank You Sir" for the brilliant piece of music that has so fittingly accompanied us during our virtual adventures in the air of WW1 battlefields all these years.

It is an honour to have you here!

I second these remarks . Excellent indeed.

Says it all really...when I find myself whistling the theme tune whilst shopping, in the bath or going to work!!

Well done, and thanks Matt...... OFF would not be OFF without your skills and Talent!

I second these remarks . Excellent indeed.

And i third them!! :biggrin:

An excellent music score, & worthy of a hollywood movie.

Its a music score that i never tire of listening to :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Indeed a top quality score from a top quality composer - we need to hear more of Matt out there!

As a fellow PC musician I have to congratulate you on a wonderful piece of work. The music grabbed my attention the moment I first heard it and the goosebumps took some time to go down! I've been meaning to post something for ages about how good the music is so I'm glad you started this thread.

Doublestop