Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Ah, you've got to love the internet....NOT

Who here has been the victim of an attack on forum on the internet? Most of us probably have. How'd you deal with it? Reply back and get yourself banned? Reply back with a sarcastic, however intelligent reply which got them banned? Laugh it off?

I was attacked earlier today and since then, I haven't been able to stop laughing. Each time I see that post I nearly fall out of my chair at the stupidity of it.

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest. But yeah, anyone have any stories?

I want to laugh with you :biggrin: can you send me the link? :rolleyes:

Edited by ronan

I would say do not reply back, these people feed off your reaction. Just alert an Admin (because I think getting attacked is agaisnt forum rules) and ignore the guy. In other words take the high road. Hard to do, but he will be the one looking like a fool.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Just sayin'.

I have a bad reputation with forum sites. I usually make a comment that some grand-high pooh-bah doesn't agree with and I find myslef no longer a member shorty thereafter. However, when confronted, I either don't crediti the other person with a response or I simply state the facts that my opinion was drawn off of and sometimes make a barely detectable tonue-in-cheek remark. The worst place on the internet for arguements is easily youtube, though. Just go on any video that features a USAF plane and look through the comments...

After trying to win arguements against dumbasses about the F-15, coming out on top, but still being yelled at after, I stopped reading the comments. Jeez man, shut up, watch the clip, and learn how to key English and not this AIM ZOMG TEH UBERHAXX0RZ 1337 Sp33K stuff.

The worst thing is just how stupid and BS of a comment people can make. On one forum I've been on,

a guy thought he was cool by saying he was in the Air Force shot down two Russian Su-47s over Baghdad in an F-22A in 2003. :rofl::haha:

I really don't have to worry. I still do consulting for the Department of Energy. My IP Adress is Encripted and is hooked up to a DOD Line that notifies FBI of any Attack. My work Machine and Sim Machine is hooked up to the same Router.....I let the FBI handle it.

Well, it works both ways.....If they feel that any of My Activities are a Security Risk......They can come in and take all My Machines......After showing Me the Warrant....

Edited by 331Killerbee

Boy, have i had some doozies throughout the years! both good ones where i turned and burned em' into the ground and all out flamefest firefights. The BBC messageboards are a pretty harsh place.

But as Rambler 1-1 said above, Youtube is THE worst place. Sometimes i wish someone would come up with a mod to get rid of the messages.

Or, as the poster in YouTube, you could not allow messages AT ALL.

I have that option enabled on the YouTube videos I've posted. No video responses, no comments, no messages allowed.

Problem solved.

FC

Or, as the poster in YouTube, you could not allow messages AT ALL.

I have that option enabled on the YouTube videos I've posted. No video responses, no comments, no messages allowed.

Problem solved.

FC

Now that I know that I'll have to have a crack team of phycics send you my opinions on your movies via a mind link...oh wait if I lost my mind would that still work?

There was the time some genius at SimHQ laughed off my suggestion that TK might consider on-line distribution (this was way before the 3rdwire on-line store - back when there was a SimHQ SF community). He said something along the lines of "I am constantly amazed by the lack of business understanding of some people" and then said some nonsense about TK not wanting to offend his retailers by selling his sims over the net. I felt a bit bad about this considering the amount of money I had spent getting my MBA, but I let it slide. The guy was one of those hyperactive "meteor" posters who appear from nowhere, do 500 posts in a month and then disappear forever. I still laugh about that one.

On one forum I've been on,

a guy thought he was cool by saying he was in the Air Force shot down two Russian Su-47s over Baghdad in an F-22A in 2003. :rofl::haha:

Haha, yes how silly. Some people really do have a crazy imagination... Ok now I want everybody to stare into this light.

60046020.jpg

There was the time some genius at SimHQ laughed off my suggestion that TK might consider on-line distribution (this was way before the 3rdwire on-line store - back when there was a SimHQ SF community). He said something along the lines of "I am constantly amazed by the lack of business understanding of some people" and then said some nonsense about TK not wanting to offend his retailers by selling his sims over the net. I felt a bit bad about this considering the amount of money I had spent getting my MBA, but I let it slide. The guy was one of those hyperactive "meteor" posters who appear from nowhere, do 500 posts in a month and then disappear forever. I still laugh about that one.

They don't just "disappear", they're usually banned. :wink:

"Who here has been the victim of an attack on forum on the internet?"

oh yea...............

I drop in on a couple of sites every now and then I write guest articles for the local paper and some other political groups and campaign staffs. I definitely get some deranged hate mail.

Generally, if I reply at all, its usually pointing out for the benefit of other readers where the turd-for-brains has departed reality. Some of the time I will get into a response mode where I just make fun of them with their own verbiage using sarcastic humor. But nine times out of ten, the best course is just to ignore them.

You guys should see the Star Wars Galaxies Forums, They are the most unhappy and confused people i have ever seen. The community is so divided that half the forums are always at war with the other half.If you don't agree with them they will flame a thread or post gibberish until a mod deletes it. The big problem is the mods let it continue, you really have to screw up bad to get banned over there.

Alot of them still have not gotten over game changes that were made in 2003, yet they still pay to play a game that they hate and 733T speak is very common to the point that i don't know what they are talking about most of the time. A newbies questions are usually answered with L2Play or other rude comments and they wonder why they can't keep people playing.

That's what makes being a mod here enjoyable. Most of you Rabble (that is 99%) respect each other. Nine times out of ten, when there's a 'vigorous' debate about something here, you all behave, keep the flaming to a minimum and go about your business. When someone needs help, unless the asker is being a dick about it, you all help out. You contribute to the community positively, rather than being jerks. Makes the mods lives a lot easier for sure. :biggrin: I mean you get the odd wanker from time to time, but they usually get grounded by their mum/babysitter/case manager and it's back to normal.

...then I go to the GTA forums for some modding help and it's a completely different story. Bunch of prepubescent twats! I feel sorry for the crap the mods there have to put up with!

That's what makes being a mod here enjoyable. Most of you Rabble (that is 99%) respect each other. Nine times out of ten, when there's a 'vigorous' debate about something here, you all behave, keep the flaming to a minimum and go about your business. When someone needs help, unless the asker is being a dick about it, you all help out. You contribute to the community positively, rather than being jerks. Makes the mods lives a lot easier for sure. :biggrin: I mean you get the odd wanker from time to time, but they usually get grounded by their mum/babysitter/case manager and it's back to normal.

...then I go to the GTA forums for some modding help and it's a completely different story. Bunch of prepubescent twats! I feel sorry for the crap the mods there have to put up with!

Thanks. but dont you thinks this has something to do with the average age of the people using the forums??

I mean a lots of young people dont think before they speak.

Thanks. but dont you thinks this has something to do with the average age of the people using the forums??

I reckon so, but it is true that douchebaginess knows no age limits. :no:

I know. Work togehter with one :grin:

I know. Work togehter with one :grin:

I taught a Sunday school class entitled "Agreeing to disagree". Not too hard to figure out that the subject was not all about disagreements, because they happen all the time, but about how to handle disagreements from a Christian standpoint. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and those in disagreement with them are not their enemy. Each deserves the respect of being heard. The Brits have it right in their political world when they address the minority party as the "loyal opposition" which implies that disagreement is there, but that has nothing to do with the opposition's loyalty. The middle east and other areas are ripe with examples where the only acceptable solution to disagreements is somebody has to die. Being banged on the internet is way too often taken way too personally and not often enough with a good sense of humor. Immaturiity plays a part, and immaturity has nothing to do with age, but at the end of the day, it is all about how you handle it. I like the high road tactic and giving respect for an opposing position. Keeps my blood pressure down where it is supposed to be and leaves those brewing for a fight nothing to hang onto and to drift off back into their tormented world.

I think a real factor has to deal with what the subject mater of the site is about and what kind of an audience it draws. Most game sites are for games that are pretty much easy to operate and require little skill and patience to play. They're pretty much just point, click, and get the banana. And if they don't get the banana, they go into a hissy fit. The reason why youtube is such a horrible place is because it is literally point the mouse cursor over the play button, click the play button, and get the video of the banana. Flight sims are not of that genre, in which the player has to really understand and educate themselves on the dynamics involved in the sim, to know how to conduct radar operations, and how to operate an aircraft in a simulated world that for the most part uses real world physics. That's not something that can be accomplished within the first 15 minutes of playing the sim. It takes practice and patience, which is why I think the folks of the flight sim world are of a better crop. And then you come here at CA and not only do you get the folks of the flight sim world, you get them mixed in with the folks from the military world who keeps them in check :biggrin:

Edited by serverandenforcer

I don't worry much about that stuff, especially youtube, which moderation is leftist. State your comment/reply in a clear and concise manner and cover all points, let the idiots flame on.

I can tell you that on youtube, the variety comes in many flavors. You have the guys who try to take any video (especially airshow clips) and instead of enjoying and commenting they try to turn into a political debate, ie my country is better than yours, America sucks/kills, etc. It goes on like a broken record.

You have the guys who make obviously idiot and outlandish comments, not because they themselves are stupid or ignorant, (hell they could be rocket scientist), but because they are bored at work, have some down time, and want to get a rivet counter's panties in a bunch.

You have the know it alls, have not been there, nor done that, but they have READ it all.

You the guys who were actually there or have been there and done that, but people either try to pick fights with them, they get nagged/hounded to death, or in some cases they try to bully/throw their "perceived" weight around.

If the internetz were true, all fat chicks would be "curvaceous", all 15 year olds would be straight up homie Gs with jail time. Congress, the Executive, and Federal Court system would cease to exist (apparently there is a overabundance of lawyers, judges, presidents, and law makers running around.)

No one would ever need to go to temple, church, mass, or mosque( since everyone has the patience/knowledge/wisdom to be a holy man and theologian.)

Any overweight midget could bang Ana Conracova

And everyone is a athletic superstar who could Walter Payton, out coach Pat Riley, is faster than Michael Phelps, and can whup Chuck Lidel.