Sign in to follow this  
SGCSG1

What anti-virus do you use?

My install of OFF is g.o.n.e...GONE, like the rest of my computer. I've spent all day rebuilding it. I spent three hours screwing around with a nightmare product called 'Bitdefender'. It kept killing my wireless network. WTF? Unbelieveable. You had to do all this weird nonsense to get it to work and - get this - settings were not carried over from one account to the next. Logon as another user....fight the bitdefender software for an hour. Junk, just junk.

So what do you guys use?

Quickheal-been using it for two years;probably the best in the market in my opinion;very un-intrusive;highly adaptable to the caprices of the user; and doesnt miss a thing!

Comodo Internet Security. Firewall + AV. It free and ad-less. http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Plus, my Firefox is stuffed with a buch of plugins so that a website can't do anything unless I allow it to.

Nothing.

Why, you might ask? A couple of reasons, first off, they are resource hogs. And two, 99.99% of any type of destructive program is one that you need to execute a program for it to operate, meening something "you"click. And when youve been online as long as I have, in the trenches of both sides, lets say, you learn what not to click.

And if theres ever a program that seems iffy to me, i dont use online scanners, no! Even better, look for a site called "anubis". its a service that uses virtual machines to actually execute the program and record every event and change, that way you can actually see what its going to install in every aspect to your machine and emails you the results. or you can read them online, and the best part is,,,,,FREE Its funded by some college or something, and in the instructions, it says it scans exe files up to a certain size, but its ran ones larger for me, so who knows,

Quickheal-been using it for two years;probably the best in the market in my opinion;very un-intrusive;highly adaptable to the caprices of the user; and doesnt miss a thing!

Agreed. Am using the same. Besides, it has the "made in India" tag :smile:.

I use AVG 8. I liked 7.5 more, as it was a pretty solid anti-virus program, but since grisoft got bought out and the new company in it's search for your dough, the newer build was bundled with adaware style programs too and I've noticed it struggles sometimes where it's predecessor wouldn't.

Plus, my Firefox is stuffed with a buch of plugins so that a website can't do anything unless I allow it to.

Yeah, I switched to FireFox a few years ago and haven't looked back. When I stopped using Interweb Destroyer, I cut out a massive amount of ad and malware crap I was getting infected with.

And two, 99.99% of any type of destructive program is one that you need to execute a program for it to operate, meening something "you"click. And when you've been online as long as I have, in the trenches of both sides, lets say, you learn what not to click.

Yeah, I still get hit with random browser viruses from time to time from sites that are normally okay, so that's why I use. But you're right. If you've been around for a while, you know not what to click for sure.

I use Avira and spyware terminator with firefox stuffed with addons. :biggrin: I also use a RAM optimiser program and a Registry cleaner

Edited by Viper6

Kaspersky internet security.. Never tried any better

I use Avast Home Edition, Firefox with NoScript etc. and Spybot S&D, though gwar is absolutely right: The best protection (at least in most cases) is the thingy behind your eyes.

I'm using Avira Personal Edition (dunno if this german product is available in english), Threatfire (heard that this software has a good heuristic engine), Spybot Search & Destroy, Firefox 3.5 with NoScript and Adblock Plus.

By the way, I'm wondering why Threatfire put out an alert of Malware on the first installer of ODS that I downloaded here (Avira stays silent)...

Uhu

The best protection (at least in most cases) is the thingy behind your eyes.

What? The back of my head??

The optic nerve, silly :rolleyes:

My AV is switched off. I run an HDD scan once in a while but realtime protection is an overkill when you know which buttons to push.

Kaspersky for annoying virus alert sounds!

Sounds like a pig squealing! :haha:

I use Norton. It has never let me down. I used AVG and 3 times it missed something that cost me dearly. Resource hog? Maybe, but not running anti virus is silly IMHO. Its like not using a seatbelt in your car or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. It only takes one time to ruin your day.

Well, that's better than nothing, isn't it? :wink:

Avast, Spybot and careful surfing.

• Like 1

I use my neighbor...

Step 1.) "Hey Fred! Checkout this cool website / download this awesome app!"...

Step 2.) Wait to hear a scream ...

Step 3.) Surf and or download with complete confidence.

Yeah, I know... Not sure why he stays my friend either.

:lmaosmiley:

CA (Computer Associates) Internet Security Suite 2008. Beats all flavours of Norton, and I say this after having been convinced Norton was the way to go for the last five years.

And along with all the Firewall, anti-spyware etc features, it has I augment it with careful surfing coupled with the BEST firewall when I don't require web access, pull out my high-speeds power cord. :biggrin:

Edited by Atreides

ESET Nod32. Great protection, along with a minimal memory & resource footprint.

Good luck with that...

luck has nothing to do with it,and Ive been this way for about 3 years now, and the only reinstalls ive done were the regular bi-yearly due to registry bloating. And Ill run an online scan anytime and show you the results.

this aint my first rodeo

luck has nothing to do with it,and Ive been this way for about 3 years now, and the only reinstalls ive done were the regular bi-yearly due to registry bloating. And Ill run an online scan anytime and show you the results.

this aint my first rodeo

Hmm... I dunno buddy. Hearing somebody say he doesn't need an anti-virus because he has online experience, is like a guy saying he doesn't need to wear a condom cause he knows what to look for in a girl. With these things you can never be too sure or too careful. Viruses are not just in .exe files anymore, they are everywhere. From .pdf files to mp3's, so unless you plan on not clicking on anything, you're running a risk. The trade off of saving some system resource versus possible infection makes zero sense to me.  :dntknw:

But hey, it's your computer. 

Guest Eject

My install of OFF is g.o.n.e...GONE, like the rest of my computer. I've spent all day rebuilding it. I spent three hours screwing around with a nightmare product called 'Bitdefender'. It kept killing my wireless network. WTF? Unbelieveable. You had to do all this weird nonsense to get it to work and - get this - settings were not carried over from one account to the next. Logon as another user....fight the bitdefender software for an hour. Junk, just junk.

So what do you guys use?

Friend, I have been using A-square fom Germany, UPDATE every day on-line, FREE version n it is great v. most malicious viruses. Go to the website in English. Try search a-square. Alas, I am not a rich man so I cannot buy the Online version which I believe far greater. There is even a FREE version that we can use in our USBs........protecting it v viruses. There is another MADE IN Indonesia, I shall get beck here later since I forgot the name. For sure, it is one anti viruses that send even the recen CONFICKER RTB! Yet, I do not use it anymoe, just let it sits on my desktop ust in case.....It is from the Indonesian version PC mag or the other prominent LOCAL PC mag. Primise, I shall be back with the NAME of it. Thank u n have a nice weelend to all members, staff and/or admin. Bless u all folks.........Remember: A-square pr try other spelling for I may mispell it. You cannot miss it friend, and good luck.