Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

SF2 Series UPDATE ALERT!

Nice, good thing I stayed with the previous patch, time to wait it out again...

OK i spent sometime compering the new and old data files there are some changes to names the word "ter" has been added here and there but i now have a working vietnam data file ......yippy

OK i spent sometime compering the new and old data files there are some changes to names the word "ter" has been added here and there but i now have a working vietnam data file ......yippy

On the SF2x series, TK setup the shader files according to the DirectX version in use by the OS that the sim is installed on (2000 & XP use DX9, DX10 For Vista & Win 7). For example, DX9 versions will use a water effects shader that is titled "TerWaterEffectDX9.FX", while the DX10 version is simply named "TerWaterEffect.FX".

The first gen series has likewise been using a similar naming convention for its shaders since the Oct 08 patch.

The December patch has caused some bad side-effects for me.

I do not get the speed boost from advanced shaders.

Water transition to land becomes white blocks.

Don't worry, it becuase of my (Intel integrated) graphics card.

Those with powerful graphics cards will still get the speed boost and better graphics.

drinks.gif

As for me, I'm stuck with pre-December status for my laptop.

My desktop can cope though but still stuttering with advanced shaders. I forced DX9 to fix this.

I'm considering buying the X-mas special, as I do not own any of the Gen2 games... But that thread frankly alarms me.

Is the game playable?

Are the star mods (aka NF4 for WoE2 and Vietnam pack, widesky and green hell)able to run on the last patch standart?

Apart from WoI, if I'm to play without mods, I'd rather stick with Gen1.

The Vietnam Pack will have some problems if run on a MERGED install with SF2I! Aside from that, I am fine with SF2V most currently patched and the Expansion Pack v2 Gold... (Only trouble I have seen was trees shining through some low flying clouds sometimes...)

My recommendation would be: go for it! But don't make a merged install...

As far as I understood from TWs information, I assume (!) that you are just buying the titles in a combo for a good price. (Why should they take the hassle and create another merged installation?)

So the installation remains up to your decision...

But to make sure, you may ask in the TW-forum just as well...

IIRC, Combo pack is a single exe that installs all 4 games at once. I don't remember having any game options during installation.

And TK just confirmed this on Thirdwire's boards. I'll start a new topic in order to choose...

Guys,

I'm trying to unpack the catpack10 but i have no sucess....

i want to take A-10 and A-10(78) datas but i guess they are in catpack 10....to revert the situation i've tried to use Fubar's A-10_data mod wich shows the turbines, but it crashes the game....

so

do anybody have the latest A-10s data and could pass me?

Guys,

I'm trying to unpack the catpack10 but i have no sucess....

i want to take A-10 and A-10(78) datas but i guess they are in catpack 10....to revert the situation i've tried to use Fubar's A-10_data mod wich shows the turbines, but it crashes the game....

so

do anybody have the latest A-10s data and could pass me?

here is the december 2009 A-10 data for you.

I tried the upgraded SF2+SF2E today, it runs better then I expected and remembered. My system is just Direct-X v9. About the same amount of FPS as the original series that I normally use. No glitches either. (Did require me to install the included Direct-X version, otherwise it would not run properly)

There is a blue skin for the Mirage III now, I never noticed it before?

Oh and silverbolt, I can much agree with your signature.

a10.zip

here is the december 2009 A-10 data for you.

I tried the upgraded SF2+SF2E today, it runs better then I expected and remembered. My system is just Direct-X v9. About the same amount of FPS as the original series that I normally use. No glitches either. (Did require me to install the included Direct-X version, otherwise it would not run properly)

There is a blue skin for the Mirage III now, I never noticed it before?

Oh and silverbolt, I can much agree with your signature.

Thank you Gerwin

:grin:

btw, i've noticed the Bleu Skin also

well i have been having a interesting time since the Dec 09 patch. i bought SF2V for christmas and the merge install has been giving all the problems presented before. objectdata3.cat wont open tho i just swapped with the old file from SF2E. that and adding the aircraft ini's brought back the F-4E's. actually READING the readme's helps also. noticed big framerate hit on my custom graphics levels from before. then i read it would default to DX10 on high setting or above. my lil compaq presario C700 aint quite ready for that. so settings on medium for all and my FPS is back to pre patch levels. thankfully i should be getting a new desktop with tax money and per diem from deployment both of which should hit about same time heheheheh

I've been 'off the radar', so to speak, for the past month or so and am only getting back into the latest news. I suppose you could say I've always held back before installing new patches and waited until I saw what everyone else thought of it.

I've looked at this thread and I'm still a little unsure as to whether I should install it. There seems to be still a lot of negative feedback from others and I'm afraid of messing up my four SF2 titles, all which I've HEAVILY modded.

So what's the current verdict folks; is the patch safe enough to install in a heavily modded series or should I wait until the previously mentioned 'concerns' are ironed out?

The last time I installed an upgrade it took me two weeks or so (and a nasty dose of 'typers cramp') to bring thousands of tweaked files back to the way I wanted heat.gif

This is something I'd prefer to avoid.

Edited by Ultramax

I suspect that if the catpack tool cannot read a certain SF2 Cat archive after patching, that the game cannot read it either. So anyone who has trouble extracting from a cat archive might have a faulty installation to some extend.

It is also a bit difficult to manually merge patched games,

ObjectData002.CAT and ObjectData003.CAT from SF2 contains files that are not in the same files form SF2E, but the ones from SF2E contain files that are not in the ones from SF2. If you get what I mean.

very true about the .cat files. i had not found what was missing yet by subbing SF2E's for the merged. i have also downloaded both games from the site several times now on suspicion of a corrupt install. for the moment i am running both as seperate installs with SF2E in a Thirdwire2 folder in my programs files. i am waiting a bit anyhow for a new computer out of tax money and am hoping Dec patch sorts itself out by then. until then run on Medium setting on my laptop.

Ive been searching the forums but i cant find anything. I know i read somewhere about a thread about this but i just cant find it. Anyways, I have problems with NF+ since i installed the patch. Afterburners are not showing, bombpylons are missing and clouds are clipping with the ground. Does anyone know where i can find the fixes for these things?

Thanx

Edited by xclusiv8

Ive been searching the forums but i cant find anything. I know i read somewhere about a thread about this but i just cant find it. Anyways, I have problems with NF+ since i installed the patch. Afterburners are not showing, bombpylons are missing and clouds are clipping with the ground. Does anyone know where i can find the fixes for these things?

Thanx

I think there is an NF4+ thread, maybe under the campaign mod heading. You might want to check there.

NF4+ was not designed for the Dec9 patch. I think it's doable if you have more than a basic knowledge of how to tweak stuff. YMMV...

I have tried it, but just had too many little issues, that I decided to stick with pre-Dec9 install.

I'm also not exactly sure what all you get with Dec9 patch, to make it worth the effort???

Let us know if you figure it all out...grin.gif

I have a separate SF2E-only install at June 09 patch levels for NF4+. I probably should've done that for SF2V and the A&G Expansion for it, but too late now!

We got used to the nice 2 year gap between the summer 06 and late 08 patches for SF1x series games, but TK is back to more regular updates and that always leads to mod issues with updates/releases. Separate installs is the best way for mods!

I want to give a Dec patch try,But I want to make a backup,Do i back up only the main root folder or Mods folders too?

I think there is an NF4+ thread, maybe under the campaign mod heading. You might want to check there.

NF4+ was not designed for the Dec9 patch. I think it's doable if you have more than a basic knowledge of how to tweak stuff. YMMV...

I have tried it, but just had too many little issues, that I decided to stick with pre-Dec9 install.

I'm also not exactly sure what all you get with Dec9 patch, to make it worth the effort???

Let us know if you figure it all out...grin.gif

Im no .ini hacker but i can find my way around somethings :)

I deccided to just go with the june patch. I dont have the time to look for all the problems and i wanna get started with my DiD campaign. As for what i want in from the Dec patch. I want the collor coded radio messages :) Those are so helpful. And of course the better framerates. Even with my PC i get horrible fps with the old shaders.