Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Haiti Earthquake (am I being Cynical?)

Just copied and pasted this from a readers comment on another forum...but it seems totally accurate to me...

"I am humbled by the speed and sincerity of the US response to this crisis. I just saw a news item about an enormous state of the art hospital ship being stocked and sent from Baltimore to Haiti. I also know that Canada is responding with DART teams and more ships are also on the way. Britain too is mobilizing assistance. It would be nice to see some other countries rise to the occasion as well, perhaps some of those who demonize the Western countries from their high moral ground. Where are they when something like this happens ? Ironic isn't it?"

For my part....

We in the West are demonised by other nations (mainly ones containing Al-Queda)

Ok, fair enough...many of these countries have no infrastructure themselves, and I grant them that)

I haven't heard of Dubai (with their massive, expensive buildings) lifting a finger to help, I may be wrong...but where are the Rich Arab states when this kind of human Tragedy befalls?

I may be being totally unreasonable, and if someone can prove me wrong, I am very willing to listen

Edited by UK_Widowmaker
  • Like 2

Well, Venezuela and china are mobilizing themselves and they do critisize West .

but in all aspects US deserves a huge point for such mobilization, they're putting more men there than my country in peace mission, just feel ashemed to not help more.

and yeah, you're right in your observation.

Edited by Silverbolt
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I have often wondered about the same thing and had similar observations.

I very much appreciate the American willingness to help those who are in such tragic circumstances.

It's often when we are at our best.

And this absolutely not intended as a criticism of other nations.

Edited by TurtleHawk
  • Like 1

Wow :yikes: 50000 dead?

Its our backyard in both location and constant intervention, so I don't blame others far away if they don't help out much. We do have still the transport and material resources most others do not.

Interesting about the Dubai angle. That was a debt ponzi scheme from the start. I think the whole Rich Arab State thing is falling away.

These are good, popular with the old war vets I've talked to~> http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf

• Dislike 2

UK I am with you on this one... seems whenever there is a disaster in the world a natural one the Western democracies are always first on the list to be sending aid...

• Like 1

you wanna know the real Irony...

when a disaster strike no matter where, Israel also respond to render help.. even to Iran that is considered our enemy

the sad thing is, i'm not sure who will help us if we ever need help (really hope not!)

from almost 24 years on this planet all I know that the Arab nations are mostly talks and no real honorable actions like helping in Haiti

• Like 2

seems whenever there is a disaster in the world a natural one the Western democracies are always first on the list to be sending aid...

Why only Western? 2 Russian Il-76 (out of 4 planned) have already landed in Dominican Republic delivering mobile hospital and rescue teams with dogs.

From the pics I see, looks like the whole area was nuked. The devastation is incredible...

• Like 2

But remember we are the Evil, Arrogant, American Empire. (EAAE for short) We are the cause of the worlds problems, sooner or later we will get blamed for the earthquake, or some will say our effort is not genuine. I am sure Chavez or some other country will say we are only helping because we want bases there or something.

Ok that takes care of the sarcasm part.

I am glad people who can pitch in are doing so. UK you are right though, I bet you some of those oil rich countries aren't lifting a freakin' finger. I would of nuked them a long time ago.

• Like 1

Actually, I saw a bit where Rush Limbaugh was claiming how this was "going to play right into the Obama administration's hands." Something about how sending aid was going to add "legitimacy" or something. :blink: Of course, EVERY administration has done this for decades, but apparently these political commentators have a pretty horrible memory and can barely remember what any previous administration did, unless it was the opposite of a mistake the current one is making.

• Like 2

I came back from Haiti yestarday, the level of damage is incredible, the number of dead is relly hi, I am humble and proud of the help that the international comunity is giving

The Us help has being really fast and massive, the main problem is getting the help there, there are not really good roads and the airport is a bottleneck right now

the dominican help was inmediated, but remember we are a poor country too, haiti needs help from the entire world

what its needed apart from the inmediated help is a long term plan , we are doing nothing if we help now then leave and forget about that country

Edited by rotarycrazy
  • Like 1

Rotary has hit the nail on the head...the entire infrastructure of Haiti has been wiped out!...once the immediate needs of the surviving population are addressed...the really hard work will be putting the country back on it's feet!

But that is what the term 'International Community' is all about!

It's going to be a long haul, but from all accounts, the Haitians are not slackers either!...And I hope for a brighter future for her and her people, after this terrible event

• Like 2

i'm not sure who will help us if we ever need help (really hope not!)

The US would if there was ever a need.

As for the rich arab states, the Haitians are almost entirely Catholic and since they're not muslims, they ultimately couldn't care less. Goes to show pure wealth (usually of a very few) is a poor judge of a nation.

• Dislike 3

I heard that we are also sending a Marine Battalion Landing Team for manpower.

We are also sending a carrier battle group for hospital space and fresh water supplying. A carrier and its support ships can make thousands of gallons of fresh water daily. Plus the messhalls can feed thousands.

As for Rush,IMHO he should have been put in a straight jacket a long time ago.

• Like 2

on wensday I gave blood to the red cross, also took two water trucks with 8,000 gls to puerto principe, I cant go today because securitty in the roads is a real concern rigth now, but will do what ever we can

here is a little info and a bit of history of our two contrys

http://edition.cnn.c...blic/index.html

Edited by rotarycrazy
  • Like 1

Indeed chrystal clear that the only hope for these people is the US military which has the gear it takes (USNS Comfort and USN Carl Vinson), the necessary helicopters and airlift (C-17 again saving lives, it's become addictive), and the means to provide security.

When it comes to real action an helping out people, we now know who to look at.

Compared to the sheer incompetence and tragic inefficiency of the UN, people can make their choice who to trust. And damned these *@!# European governments aren't even sure they will pay for the 3-years late A-400M airlifter that we badly needed now!

And it looks like, with all the Looting etc (most of the Police force have been wiped out)...that American Troops are going to have to regain control of the streets now too!

(no doubt, some sections of the worlds population will think THATS politically motivated too!)

Poor Yanks...damned if they do...damned if they don't!...little wonder they get pissed off!

Actually, I saw a bit where Rush Limbaugh was claiming how this was "going to play right into the Obama administration's hands." Something about how sending aid was going to add "legitimacy" or something. :blink: Of course, EVERY administration has done this for decades, but apparently these political commentators have a pretty horrible memory and can barely remember what any previous administration did, unless it was the opposite of a mistake the current one is making.

like it or lump it i hope are current pres can say look at what i did, look at what we did and americans can say yeah that was good and as american i hope he can use it in the future i think were supposed to build on situations like that.great defineing points rep or dem.im not an obama fan but i am a pres fan,and i hope we see this as a place to build politics not to win them. D

• Like 1

the US military which has the gear it takes (USNS Comfort and USN Carl Vinson), the necessary helicopters and airlift (C-17 again saving lives, it's become addictive), and the means to provide security

That and they live next door. And they've been there only in 2004.

most of the Police force have been wiped out

Outsourced Haitian military is also more of a joke...

As bad as our economy is, and the fact that New Orleans still looks like a war zone we still send comfort and aid to other countries. And we're still the bad guys of the world. I'm at the point that anyone or any country that hates the U.S. can kiss my lily white behind. I'm American, proud of it and have big shoulders so say what you will about me or my bretheren. We can take it, we're used to it.

I feel terrible for the people in Haiti for many reasons. Not just the quake but the fact that their government barely qualifies as one and does next to nothing for it's people . I'm glad we're there helping. Even though we're imperialists...............:dntknw:

• Like 2

like it or lump it i hope are current pres can say look at what i did, look at what we did and americans can say yeah that was good and as american i hope he can use it in the future i think were supposed to build on situations like that.great defineing points rep or dem.im not an obama fan but i am a pres fan,and i hope we see this as a place to build politics not to win them. D

Damn right! If we can all come together to help Haiti, why can't we do the same at home?

To say that the arab countries are not sending anything is wrong. For example. The United Arab Emirates are sending aid. http://www.thenation.../100109581/1002

I'm shocked....