Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Hangar Collapse from Snow

Just received this email about a couple hangars at IAD that collapsed yesterday. Here's the pics. Several Bombardier Global Xpress' and a GV.

M

iad5.jpg

iad1.jpg

iad2.jpg

iad3.jpg

iad4.jpg

Holy cow. That is alot of money that just got damaged.

Yep...Millions. The lucky part is all the aircraft should be fairly easy to rebuild...although they will take lot of time. The worst case scenario would be if the cockpit areas were destroyed. This is where most the money is at in avionics; (although the engines are the rest of the value of the aircraft, I'm placing a bet that all the engines will be salvaged fairly eaisly and without much cost.)

Had they decided to park outside....they would have had a much smaller $5000-$10000 deiceing charge.

M

I think HAS should be new hangar construction standard everywhere, not only mil but also civvy... :blink:

I think HAS should be new hangar construction standard everywhere, not only mil but also civvy... :blink:

Seriously! Over here in Sweden its extreme. We havent had this much snow in 20 years. Its actually breaking trough roofs and damaging lots of buildings.

Looks like a hanger full of B-45 Tornados. That's how they did it back then. Well angling them through the doors anyways. Hangers too small.

pfft another reason I'd rather have Antonov An-2. Leave it in the snow, and fly it from backyard. Ask wife for takeoff clearance.

Mow the lawn first. :salute:

There aren't that many jet powered taildraggers.....blink.gif

Hou doe,

Derk

Jet exhaust would quickly ruin runways if they were taildraggers!

Good to see the planes all worked together to hold the roof up, though...that's teamwork!

Yech... holy crap! That's a helluva of a way to loose to your GV.

"Worried about all this nasty weather Steve?"

"Nah it's cool, I hangered her."

Jet exhaust would quickly ruin runways if they were taildraggers!

Good to see the planes all worked together to hold the roof up, though...that's teamwork!

:lmao: