Sign in to follow this  
Sakai

Flight Simmers and their books

I am a HUGE aviation, military aviation, and military enthusiast. To go with my library of games, I also have a library of books. Here is the list:

"Fire in the Sky: The Air War in the South Pacific"

"World War II" - Illustrated, lots of good pics

"Aircraft Anatomy of World War II"

"The Encyclopedia of Aircraft of WWII"

"The Encyclopedia of Modern Military Aircraft"

"Modern Military Aircraft in Combat"

"Military Aircraft of the Cold War"

"U.S. Army Weapons Systems of 2009"

"Dumb But Lucky! - Confessions of a P-51 Fighter Pilot in World War II"

"Woodbine Red Leader - A P-51 Mustang Ace in the Mediterranean Theater"

These are the ones I could find on short notice, and I am curious as to what other sim pilots may have in their collections.

Oh lord...there is no way I could list ALL the aviation books I have.

I have an entire room set up as a library just for books.

My aviation books alone take up at least 2 standard 8 foot high shelves...at least...

I'm not even including my paperback collection...

FC

I can't brag because I've seen some hellascious collections that some OFF guys have. I can say I have a fair collection. Primarily WWI and some WWII. Actually my collection of books covering the Age of Sail is even larger.

Like FC, I can't count the ones I have, mor that I have read over the years. But there is one that stands out among all the others, with the writer and his story being in a class unto themselves.

"Samurai" by Saburo Sakai

Like FC, I can't count the ones I have, mor that I have read over the years. But there is one that stands out among all the others, with the writer and his story being in a class unto themselves.

"Samurai" by Saburo Sakai

My grandfather had that book and I lost it during a move (I know, I know) I must have read it a million times tho, as you can see by my screen name:cool: That and the "Jolly Rogers", I believe it was written by Ira Kepford, not sure tho, but it was a member of VF-17 none the less. I have to suggest "Woodbine Red Leader" to anyone interested in such things, great book.

Lord FC, I thought I was bad, the girlfriend thinks i'm obsessed, thanks for making me look sane, LOL. My flight sim collection makes her shudder too, goes back to "Flight of the Intruder" and "SVGA Harrier".

Edited by Sakai

Too many to list. But my favorites would be "Boyd" and "Red Sun Setting". Currently reading "Every Man a Tiger".

Here are just some of mine within arms reach of my computer desk.

DSCN0048.JPG

DSCN0049.JPG

DSCN0050.JPG

got a lot of those on pdf ... although I LOVE a copy of "Mig Alley" -- in ANY form!!

of course, NO library is complete without Dale Brown.

like FC, I'd say 2 floor-to-ceiling sectionals, with nothing but military (ships, subs, AFVs, of course aircrft). Some long out of print dating back to the late 60s/early 70s (well, for the Martain Caidin stuff) And a 180gig external with about 100gig of books-on-pdf.

Dave, those your Challenge Coins ™???

wrench

kevin stein

Dave, those your Challenge Coins ™???

Yes, those are both my wife's and I's we have gotten over the last 19 years in the military.

Yes, those are both my wife's and I's we have gotten over the last 19 years in the military.

What I found interesting about those challenge coins is that you kept your SF badge with them. Do you still have your beret?

What I found interesting about those challenge coins is that you kept your SF badge with them. Do you still have your beret?

Yes its sitting on Stanley the skull..

Yes its sitting on Stanley.

Now all you need is a k-bar going through the skull, two M-4s crossing in the backround, and a ratler snaking it's way up the k-bar.

Air Force Legends seems to have published some sweet little books on the classics. XF-88 XF-91, XB-51, etc... Any opinions there? Reviews seem to indicate good information.

Like Dave I have all the IAPR volumes (finishing up the latest right now, on the story of the He-111), as well as all of the predecessor series World Air Power Journal and Wings of Fame.

Most of my books are technical, I don't have any that really talk about the pilots too much unless it's added in with the technical stuff like IAPR does. I don't have nearly as many as some other people because as it is my wife complains about how many bookshelves my books take up (I have tons of SF and other books as well as aviation) as it is.

The best ones I have are the Classic books on specific WWII Luftwaffe planes. I have the ones on the Me-163 (2 books), Mistel, Hs129, and Me-262 (4 books).

Oh lord...there is no way I could list ALL the aviation books I have.

I have an entire room set up as a library just for books.

My aviation books alone take up at least 2 standard 8 foot high shelves...at least...

I'm not even including my paperback collection...

FC

Same here + LOTS of old stuff on railways from my grandfather, total some 8 x 12 feet + about 100 1:72 / 1:32 models .........blink.gif

Hou doe,

Derk

USAF, I swear you have more stuff then the military section of my local Borders.

USAF, I swear you have more stuff then the military section of my local Borders.

:lol: I have much much more in boxes too. It's funny no one noticed one of thoses books i in the wrong place. :yikes::blink:

For all those enthusiasts, and for all those who may not know: I recommend you purchasing Osprey Publishing books. Here you have the official site: http://www.ospreypublishing.com/

Osprey Publishing books are about military history of all times. It includes aviation books!!! If you visit the web site, you'll find out there's an online store.

I also recommend purchasing Squadron Signal Publication books. As Osprey Publishing, it has a wide variety of books including aviation, tanks, ships, armor, etc. Web site: http://www.squadrons...blications.com/

In the website, you'll find everything you need to know as regards online store.

Finally, a must-read: "No Guts, No Glory". A book written by Major General Frederick "Boots" Blesse about dogfight tactics. For more info, visit http://www.nationalm...eet.asp?id=1068

Any questions? Would like to know more? Feel free to send me a PM. I hope you find these books as interesting as I found them. Good luck, and check you your six. SEMPER FI!!!Salute.gif

NOTE: BOTH OSPREY PUBLISHING AND SQUADRON SIGNAL PUBLICATON ARE TRADEMARKS.

Edited by ignacioc91

Dave: I recall that you were a U2 fan (re:"U2 by U2). Based on SF videos on Youtube, I thought the rest of us simmers were Metalheads!:) Did yoy see any of the 360 Tour concerts? Nice library BTW!

Dave: I recall that you were a U2 fan (re:"U2 by U2). Based on SF videos on Youtube, I thought the rest of us simmers were Metalheads!:) Did yoy see any of the 360 Tour concerts? Nice library BTW!

I have tickets to see them in June in Denver as a matter of fact! Oh I'm a metal head too..... :yahoo::rockon:

I have tickets to see them in June in Denver as a matter of fact! Oh I'm a metal head too..... :yahoo::rockon:

Cool! Saw them in Vancouver and my wife got me tickets to see them in Seattle in June. Excellent concert, I am sure you'll have a blast. Not a metalhead myself, but... Have you seen "It Might Get Loud?".

R

here's my little collection

bk1.jpg

bk2.jpg

bk3.jpg

bk4.jpg

bk5.jpg

The there's two years worth subscription copies of the Indian Aerospace Magazine - Vayu. I bought most of these after there was sufficient interest in developing an Indo-Pak mod for our beloved sim.

Edited by ghostrider883

thats is awesome ghostrider, I would read all of those over and over again until memorized!!! Can't find stuff like that here. I have perused the local book stores and haven't found anything on the IAF or any of the wars India has fought. Maybe Amazon, haven't looked around there yet. If you know of anywhere I can find those titles in the US (New England in particular) would be appreciated. In particular the titles in the top pictures about the Mig-23/27/29 and Su-30.

ghostrider, you need to see Midland's Tu-95 hardback, in the Famous Russian Aircraft series by Yefim. That is HUGE, with Yefim's high technical density, and superb pics. Same with his titan MiG-21 hardback.

Dump WarbirdTech. Go with Aerofax Series and Midland-RedStar.

The *best* I've found yet is Jay Miller's B-58 AEROFAX. Its large for this series at 150 pages, and is the most detail dense book I've got yet, even surprassing Yefim's Aerofaxes and RedStars in raw density. Just got it and I'm stunned at the cruel, brutal text, in small tiny fine print, ALL of it about the B-58 weapons system and its deployment. Trekkie stuff. It may be out of print I dunno. It may be getting expensive so look into it fast.

Also for Trekkie details, go Crowood hardbacks. I have Yefim's An-12 and Darling's Vulcan (and Bowman's E.E. Lightning softback).

Fortunately, the Aerofax Valiant and Victor books are deep. Well they are Aerofax. But I chose the larger Crowood Vulcan book for the third bird.

Also, Dennis Jenkins' heavy weight softbacks by Specialty Press rival the Trekkieness of Yefim. I have B-36, XB-70, and X-15 so far.

Last is Fredricksen's new B-45 Tornado. Up front it seems soft on details, and is mostly operational history, but since that was limited to so few units, enough deep aircraft details worm their way into the operational details. But the early jets were like that. Flying to Moscow. Shucks B-47s never tried that. Add the following link for one additional crew story not as detailed in the book...

~> http://www.spyflight.co.uk/scul.htm

Link found under Operations, Op Jiu Jitsu

Even more Last is Suhler's new Rainbow to Gusto. I have not read it yet, but flipping pages it seems a strange stealth (or desperate attempts at stealth) tale from U-2 to SR-71 family. Large parts detail Convair Fish and Kingfish competitors. Tiny diagrams but http://www.up-ship.com/ is making new diagrams free for those who purchase the book. UpShip is working with the author on this.