Sign in to follow this  
lindr2

An-72P (Patrol)

Kachatka 2010 An-72P cost guard (FSB aviation)

IMG_7336_km.jpg

IMG_7339_km.jpg

IMG_7340_km.jpg

IMG_7343_km.jpg

FIRE button

IMG_7342_km.jpg

IMG_7351_km.jpg

I remember shooting down plenty of these in Microprose F-19!

And it has hardpoints on the wings for rocket pods or bombs. Such a cool looking jet!

-S

Gun's the same as on the Mig-23 if I remember GSH-23 or similar designation... enough to ruin your day if your in a fishing boat... :rofl:

Why would a maritime plane have camo like that? It seems out of place.

Gun's the same as on the Mig-23 if I remember GSH-23 or similar designation... enough to ruin your day if your in a fishing boat... :rofl:

"...On February, 22nd, 2001 An-72P of aircraft of a cost guard of the Russian Federation near to island Shikotan of the Kuril ridge after several attempts to detain, has sunk a seiner "Альбатрос-101", not having recognition symbols

..."

Why would a maritime plane have camo like that? It seems out of place.

and FUGLY blink.gif

They weren't just used for Maritime patrol... some of them would have been used over land or littoral areas... so is there for the job... but your right the camo is horrendous...

Though it seems out of place, isn't camo mostly to hide planes from satellite pics when they're grounded ?

So it wouldn't seem so out of place considering that right ?

I agree, it'd even have been cheaper if it had been painted in that baby-blue color that was deemed the "cheapest color ever" by entities in the Soviet Union...

Are guns the only weapons it carries or can it carry ASM's or torps as well?

No, camo paint will not hide a plane from a satellite or a camera on a plane, they're too good for that. It's more about the Mk 1 eyeball and hiding from planes flying above you. This scheme indicates they expect it to spend more time over land than over water. However, I can't recall many that have just a pale tan with such a dark brown and green. I don't know what part of the world has terrain that would blend with that scheme, but I don't want to even visit!

Apart from the gun it is equipped to carry lightweight bombs and rocket pods...

I don't know , sounds like a stupid and innefective craft for it's rule...

Starting with the camo scheme obviously :rofl:

No, camo paint will not hide a plane from a satellite or a camera on a plane, they're too good for that. It's more about the Mk 1 eyeball and hiding from planes flying above you. This scheme indicates they expect it to spend more time over land than over water. However, I can't recall many that have just a pale tan with such a dark brown and green. I don't know what part of the world has terrain that would blend with that scheme, but I don't want to even visit!

same sheme used on ukranian An-72P's

an72p-3.jpg

P.S. looks like this photo shuted in Crimea

and another picture

IMG_3953_sm.jpg

Edited by lindr2

I don't know , sounds like a stupid and innefective craft for it's rule...

Starting with the camo scheme obviously :rofl:

you not right

this plane can:

- patrol 200 NM zone

- carry 2 RP or 4x100 Kg bombs on pylons & 2500 KG bombs on 4 racks in cargo bay (ejected by special mechanizm)

- transport 22 soldiers or 5000KG cargo

- use RADAR, TV, IR and Photo cameras

- carry buoys & rescue boats

Yup!

Mark one Mod zero eye ball.

I sniveled for a skin based on the envirnment where the plane was parked in a world war 2 flight sim. The pro skinned it real fast and it got gobs of downloads.

CL

I guess this is why Ukrainian fashions aren't all the rage in Paris, London, and Milan? :grin:

well, i see nothing wrong with the camo...those P-3 painted white should reflect a hell of light more tha the An-72.

how supposed to look an Maritime patrol plane paintscheme?

Interessting are the new russian insignias. The white, blue and red star.

The AN-72 / 74 are very effective STOL transport planes. Need a very short runway and are fitted for rough conditions. If i remember right they were part of the soviet polar fleet. Made a good job with landing on ice air strips etc.

As maritime patrol plane it can do the job as surveillance bird to protect the economic 200nm zone.

i guess a gray scale camo's more effective in these situations... anyone agree ?

The camo should serve not only to blend the plane with the background but also to distort and break the airplane's shape. When the eye is looking for a whole plane, it might fail to pick out a set of spots that make one only when joined together and filtered from the underlying terrain. IMO, if this bird is going low over a steppe with sand, bushes, low trees, patches of wild flowers and stuff, it gets difficult to spot in that mess.