Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

SF2 Exp2 UPDATE Jan2011

DA,

Unless you're making 3d models, the information I posted isn't really relevant. The exception might be for stock models, there may only be a limited amount you can put on per mesh.

FC

Specular mapping wohoo :clapping: This will come in handy with quite a few projects :cool:

Henrik,

Yea buddy! I was thinkin that myself...though it made the work on a certain prop model unnecessary...

FC

Somehow I missed this over the weekend. Oh well, too bad as I had some time then to do it, but I guess I'll have to look into it this week now!

DA,

Unless you're making 3d models, the information I posted isn't really relevant. The exception might be for stock models, there may only be a limited amount you can put on per mesh.

FC

my main must transfer exery patch mod is my stock USAF Phantoms, with Euro 1 skins and SEA Wraparound added as well as a decal folder and decal ini based off of in game stock but with colors on decals changed as necessary and some new units such as 347th TFW, 86th TFW and several ANG AFRES units. I was wondering because trying to add squadron/wing patches to the intakes but it always blanks the skin out when i add them. that even after just adding national insignia direct to the skin as opposed to having it as a decal. wondered if that info might hold a key to what im trying to do.

I had a general question on this patch:

I'm screwing around with PayPal so I can buy Expansion 2, and obviously will want to patch the game up to the new standard when I get it. My question is:

Is the EXP2 and Patch install the SOP of "install fresh copy, expansion, then patch" or can it be applied to an already modified game? Reason I ask is that I bought SF2V after I got back from Thule, which auto-patched the game to 2010 standards, and when I did new installs of SF2,E, and I (which I bought before I went to Thule), I had to do some major fooling around to get Vietnam merged (separate installs, then manually move the Vietnam files to the merge, which took a while and a lot of trial and error to get working right.)

If it is, that's fine, it's just a bit more pain to deal with, but if I can do the expansion and patch without a new install that'd be pretty cool.

Thanks for any replies!

what i have done of late is to save the mods themselves (such as my Phantoms) to an external, go ahead and delete the mods folders for the games install the patch then afterwards play one round to get the mods folder back up and reload what you saved elsewhere(like an external HD). it is simpler than completely redoing your install plus you back up things you've worked on. finally i make sure to keep a copy of the previous install in case as Eddie Money said "i wanna go back":grin:

I had a general question on this patch:

I'm screwing around with PayPal so I can buy Expansion 2, and obviously will want to patch the game up to the new standard when I get it. My question is:

Is the EXP2 and Patch install the SOP of "install fresh copy, expansion, then patch" or can it be applied to an already modified game? Reason I ask is that I bought SF2V after I got back from Thule, which auto-patched the game to 2010 standards, and when I did new installs of SF2,E, and I (which I bought before I went to Thule), I had to do some major fooling around to get Vietnam merged (separate installs, then manually move the Vietnam files to the merge, which took a while and a lot of trial and error to get working right.)

If it is, that's fine, it's just a bit more pain to deal with, but if I can do the expansion and patch without a new install that'd be pretty cool.

Thanks for any replies!

Expansion 2 will be at patch level when you buy it now. All you have to do is install it if I read your post correctly.

Falcon

• Like 1

after reading Falcons response i understand your question better. if i understand right you bought SF2V later than the other games and thats why you had to reinstall, because you do have to install in order of release. you can just add EXP2 as it is the latest, but it will break your mods in the process hence my earlier advice about backing up the mods folders.

Copy all. Yes, I had to install in a very strange order, do .ini modifications, a whole mess. Guess what I'll do is make another back up of zee mod folder and then do the install as you recommend. Thanks!

yea i got SF2V after 2E so much fun. last in series for me to get is the original, SF2. that'llbe fun to install as ya gotta uninstall in order.:dntknw:

So, seeing as this patch seems to get things back on track, I wonder how long till the Tomcat struts its stuff? Exp 2, its mission builder, and the patches delayed it, but that's all over now so...

He got us with our own joke.....where's my pony?

:rofl:

I already have it, and it doesnt fly.....

Guys, check this out...TK has made a new exporter and has added SEVERAL new features:

Some of the highlights include:

Specular mapping - You can now use bitmaps or JPGs to determine how 'shiny' something is...it no longer requires it to be hardcoded in the LOD file. This is perfect for aircraft where some versions had shiny paint, others had dull paint, or different parts of the paint job were shiny or dull depending on the user. Plus Julhelm will stop whining about not being able to do it this way... :biggrin:

Decal limits...because of these newer parameters, meshes may have more limits on amount of decals...future modelers take note.

Vertex animation - Scaling has been supported for a long time (used in nozzles) but now individual manipulation is supported. This is great for flexible things like cloth, drag chutes...and wings. Large aircraft structures can now be made to bend seamlessly verses having very obvious pivots.

Time to play...

FC

Thanks for the headsup FC :) stimulating news lol :D

Decals = bitmap textures? (diffuse layer?)

Seems that now we have a stable patch.

Airstart only bug, AI disappearing at waypoint 8 and not landing, TGA shadow issue with props (and not only), some missing/ not working effects. = All solved!

Damn, Thirdwire page seems to be down... :-(

I'm not getting in either, but there are a large number of possible reasons.

SOVIETSPITFIRE01.jpg

Were these Soviet Green Spitfire skins in EP2 or just in the patch?

I've also noticed loads of specular maps.

its been there since EXP1 i believe. downloaded ncdicki's RAF Northwest and RDAF Spits and on first fighter sweep mission found myself engaging Soviet Spitfires! and this was back around october or so.