Sign in to follow this  
FalconC45

National Museum of the Air Force...

Considering what the USAF didn't do for the shuttle, I'm not surprised. I suppose if Challenger hadn't happened and Titan had been phased out instead things would've been different. Instead, they gave NASA a dine-n-dash and left them with a big bill.

where is the Musuem? maybe the next trip to the states i'll visit..

too bad they didn't get the shuttle!

Yeah thats too bad. I was really hoping it would of came here.

It's in Dayton, Ohio next to Wright Patterson AFB. It's an INCREDIBLE MUSEUM!!!!!!

I can't believe it, The USAF contributed heavily to the Space Shuttle program from the beginning. I know the whole Challenger accident killed the satellite platform/space systems program. But providing assistance in the many other ways was enough. Not to mention all the USAF pilots that flew them into space. Overall I'm really surprised. Too Bad

It's in Dayton Ohio. I'll give you one of my tours, I know the place like the back of my hand practically :biggrin:

Falcon

I'm annoyed that NY and DC got a shuttle...with CA and FL getting one, that means there are no Shuttles anywhere close to the center of the country.

Couldn't have at least the NY shuttle gone somewhere else, considering NY and DC are damn near in spitting distance of each other.

FC

I'm annoyed that NY and DC got a shuttle...with CA and FL getting one, that means there are no Shuttles anywhere close to the center of the country.

Couldn't have at least the NY shuttle gone somewhere else, considering NY and DC are damn near in spitting distance of each other.

FC

I agree, It's not like those places don't already have enough.

Althought I like the idea of having one freeway close to me here in LA, I would have though the Cosmosphere (dome?whatever!) in Hutichinson, Kansas would have gotten one.e

It's a GREAT museaum, we were there some years back whilst visiting Witichia

wrench

kevin stein

:yikes: Yeahh!!!!!!!!! I live 10 min from the Intrepid .. :clapping:

Althought I like the idea of having one freeway close to me here in LA, I would have though the Cosmosphere (dome?whatever!) in Hutichinson, Kansas would have gotten one.e

wrench

kevin stein

The Cosmosphere is great. You're right Wrench that would make perfect sense

The USS Intrepid's getting a shuttle? WOOT! Gonna be in NY early next year, can't wait to see it!!

The USS Intrepid's getting a shuttle? WOOT! Gonna be in NY early next year, can't wait to see it!!

Kewl... let me know when your in town

Heh, done. I think I owe you a beer or 6 for those lovely aircraft you make. :smile:

How the F**K are they gonna get the shuttle to fit in the Intrepid? She´s already loaded up

How the F**K are they gonna get the shuttle to fit in the Intrepid? She´s already loaded up

I think theres room next to the Corcord

The shuttle will be stored in a new hangar to be built near the carrier, it will not be on it.

The orbiter can't be housed outdoors, anyway.

wrench

kevin stein

Living just south of Hutch, we were really hoping to get a Shuttle here. As was said, the coasts made out fine (NY? Really??), but the center of the nation got the shaft again. Bummer.

I'm surprised that a shuttle is going to be displayed next to the USS Intrepid. That has no relation to the shuttle program whatsoever. Yes many USN pilots flew the shuttle, so it would make much more sense to have it displayed at the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Florida than with the Intrepid. I guess since KSC is getting one though, the museum at Pensacola was out of the question. Oh well guess you can't dwell forever, I'll look forward to seeing one in NY, DC, CA or FL whenever I go back to one of these places.

Edited by warthog64